Sign in to follow this  
Tim_Capps

FSCaptain / FSPassengers

Guest dano290
Dano,The first step is to send me the FCOM log -- that's a file in the FSCaptain\Config folder called FCOM.log. If you would email that to me -- dutch (at) FSCaptain.net -- we'll get to the bottom of your issue. If you haven't already, you might want to join the support and other discussions at http://fscaptain.proboards.com - the first FSCaptain Hotfix pack will be coming out today, maybe if we're lucky we'll get you fixed today too.Dutch
On the way....thanks for your help!

Guest Longyear

I was one of the first to buy into FSPassengers when it came out for FS9, but I have to say I hate what Daniel has done to it in FSX. I bought the FSX license (seperate purchase /

Guest WarpAir
I was one of the first to buy into FSPassengers when it came out for FS9, but I have to say I hate what Daniel has done to it in FSX. I bought the FSX license (seperate purchase /

I added the voicepaks from Fs9, they work great! I also added my own and well it works :( My only problem with FsPax is the poor support, if someone is lucky to be answered its usually not very helpful. I'm currently having trouble with Feelthere AC and closing down a flight, FSX just hangs until I force quit, if I take FsPAX out completely it works just fine. This only happens with FT AC, sadly I have no error message to report.That being said I think its time for me to move on and FsCaptain looks pretty promising I'm just not sure I like choosing my flight plan from in Sim. I also have yet to try any of my 3rd party AC...

I hope this thread isn't too stale to resurrect, but I've played with FSCaptain now and have a couple of ideas.It reminds me of a cross between Flight Keeper, Air Hauler and FS Passengers. My philosophy is to talk about what I like, rather than what I don't like in forums, but FS Passengers is pretty light-hearted and the stewardess who comes in and sexually harrasses the captain all the time is a little embarrassing in front of the wife. There is a lot to like about the program, but I find I don't use much of it. I realize I could customize it, but I'm lazy. (I am addicted to setting the altimeter using the keyboard, though.)FSCaptain is more about keeping your airline happy than keeping the "screaming cargo" happy, although that plays a part. The ACARS reminds me of Flight Keeper, but works differently. You sign up for an airline, then choose from a number of available flights. That part reminds me of Air Hauler. There are passenger and cargo flights. Dispatch figures the time window you get, including estimated time on the ground, the number of passengers and even the fuel you need. It loads it for you, too. Airlines range from pretty laid back like Landmark, to sticklers. Some require you to report your position every 30 minutes, for example. An alternate is figured for you, useful weather information is provided, including the average winds aloft for flight planning!It looks like it has all the stuff I like in about three other programs without the stuff I don't need or use.My concern would be that I don't fly default a/c and am not smart enough to configure the payware I use. There are generic models, and when I used the Quality Wings 757 it recognized it as a 757 and seemed to work okay. It did distribute the fuel equally among the wing tanks and center, though, or at least I think it did. There is an option, apparently, to handle fuel and loading yourself.Documentation looks lengthy but readable, and the readme gives a quickstart gouge.You don't have to "work your way up" to bigger airplanes, and you don't have to manage a company as well as fly, which is something I didn't really enjoy in some others I have tried. This is strictly a captain simulation. There are a lot of options as to how hard you want to make it. Apparently, at the easiest setting you can fly whatever you want. (Airline name and livery don't matter.)So I'll be playing around with the demo some more, but first impressions were highly favorable. If it starts acting weird with my Quality Wings and CS 757s, my CS 767, my Ariane 737-800 it would be a deal-breaker, since that's pretty much all I fly currently. Also I hope to find some nice long routes, or it wouldn't be too much use to me. There seems to be a ferry option to fly wherever you want, but I'm not sure about that. Maybe someone else more familiar with the program can add something. Looks like something you'd have to spend quite a bit of time with to learn the details and form a good impression. But the demo is fully functional. In fact, you could have an entire career flying out of the limited demo airports.

Guest WarpAir

Thanks for making the effort to feedback on fscaptian tim. i'd been watching this thread waiting for someone to take the fscaptain plunge and feedback.Based on this review, i can honestly say i prefer fspax, infact i dont think there is a real comparison between the two. They do diffrent things.Fspax is an Airliner simulation, and Fscaptain is retricted to Captain simulation, and is more technical.One could get both if he has the energy to explore both, think ill stick to fspax though, cause am starting to slow down on getting new addons and reading new manuals.Based on Tim's review, my verdict is, Fspax is Airliner simulation, and Fscaptain is pilot simulation, they not really for compare.I like the fact that fscaptain helps you pick possible destinations without having to rack your brian on where to fly, but then i have been using destinationfinder freeware for years now and it does an excellent job of picking my A to B that i use in Fspax.From my experience a great combo to have is1 - Fspax2 - Destinationfinder3 - ASA4 - Radar Contact5 - FscommanderOne thing you do realise soon after siming for a while is, you have to decide where to draw the line on addons and tweaking, else you will never get time to just fly. After tweaking or getting to grips with a new addon, i like to take a good long while before jumping into another learning curve adventure.Or you could have1 - FsCaptain2 - Destinationfinder3 - ASA 4 - Radar Contact 5 - Fscommander Still i would say both fspax and fscaptian dont do the fsx platform reall justice in terms of an interesting simulation game that sits ontop of the fsx platform, that cause fsx is no longer a commercial product , but the domain of simmers that make it a hobby.

Guest ceo1944

Thanks Tim and Warpair and everyone for your observations. As the author of FSCaptain I pay attention to what people are saying. I do realize that which add-ons you or I like are a matter of taste and preferences and I never debate about tastes; we are all entitled to our own.I think it's Bill Cosby who gets credit for this quote: "I don't know the formula for success but I do know the one for failure: try to please everyone."One thing I've noticed during the launch of this product is the level of fatalism and even cynicism some of us (me included) have developed with new products. We somehow expect average to poor customer service, and we expect to be abandoned at some point: the product will freeze and we'll be left with what we have and nothing more. We've developed these attitudes because it happens to us all too often. It happens so often, in my opinion, largely because of economic motivations. Does it really pay to provide good service when "just get by" levels will be accepted? Where is the revenue stream in supporting an "old" product when a new replacement can be sold for a new, even higher fee? And why spend any time or money on that "old" product?I'm probably out of the mainstream here, but I believe providing good customer support ought to be done simply because it's the right thing to do. And I believe that when you sell a software system then you've made a commitment to your paying customers not to leave them high and dry with unresolved bugs or missing features.Now, I know no product can please everyone and I'm not trying to do that. But FSCaptain is a evolving program, and where it evolves has a great deal to do with feedback from the customers and the flight simulator community in general. I knew, for example, when it was released that it might not be compatible with every payware airplane out there because I'm one person and if I tested every possibility before release I'd have to hand over FSCaptain development as a legacy to my grandchildren instead of a product the sim community can enjoy now - and help grow.Words are cheap, action is what counts. Watch the website (http://www.fscaptain.net) and check out our forums (http://fscaptain.proboards.com). If a payware airplane has problems, those problems will be fixed if possible. One might not work in this release, but it may the next. And Fixpacks don't come out in intervals of months, but days or weeks if the situation calls for them. If there are features anyone feels are lacking, there's a whole "Ideas" section of the forums devoted to getting just that, ideas, into solid plans for the development queue.No, you can't please everyone and not every idea will be implemented. But many have been already in the beta. Many more will be.I'm listening.Thanks,Dutch

hi,I've been using fs captain for three months and I can testify that the customer support is outstanding. You always get a reply to your post immediately and fixes are released in no time if necessary. This product is very mature and stable now. It is very flexible and it challenges your flying skill as a captain. You can adjust the difficulty level at will. Your proficiency is assessed at each flight. You earn points and money but it is only honorific. I usualy select 1 hour flight and I can assure you that I am very busy as a captain. I fly Dutch's DC3C which is a very realistic aircraft since every system is modelled, and failure modes are top notch. Personally, I don't like aircraft with which any flying mistake has no bearing even if they are very nice looking. I rememember I once experienced a serious failure shortly after take off (bird strike with loss of engine 2) and I can tell you that I had to deal with it in no time to avoid crashing. I landed safely but it reminded me of what you feel when you have to manage an airborne emergency under pressure !!!! So if you like flying by the book both as a pilot and as a captain (difficulty level adjustable and your flight officer is here to assist you) and not to pretend doing so, FS captain is for you.Cheers

I have just downloaded the trial version and posted in the FSC forum, but I thought I'd ask here as well. I would like to run this product across the network via, say FSUIPC. I have several addons that that I now run on other PC's connected to my FSX server via WideFS. I am wondering if this product will run across the the network as well. I have multiple large monitors across a blackbox on my FSX server and prefer to run a program like this via the network. Anyway, any suggestions and knowledge of using it this way would be appreciated.Joe Porter

Joe Porter

ngxu_banner.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Beta_Tester.jpg

No, I didn't get any of those, I flew with Ryanair!Which addon is best is a matter of opinion. I did try the demo. Like others said, as the commander you should not need to worry about feeding your passengers or knowing what their overall mood is. In fact you would not even know the mood unless you made the cabin crew ask around! Things like that, and finding it generally incompatible with advanced addons it didn't feel like it suited me.Perhaps I should have added I don't care so much about the actual "career" mode where you earn money and manage the airline. I like to do things from the commanders perspective. I just need a program that gives me assignments and simulates the dispatcher communication inflight.The perfect dispatcher simulation (for me) would+ give assignments or schedules, detailed flightplans and briefings for the flight (customizeable, perhaps even by community over network)+ load payload and fuel as per the assignment (fully compatible with advanced addons)+ work as the inflight ACARS system with a dispatcher monitoring the flight (loads of functions here like weather and fuel calculations)+ customizeable sound sets for the first officer or other crew voices (for better compatibility)+ random event generator (incidents or emergencies not related to aircraft systems on the ground or in the air)+ post flight analysis (speeds, g-forces, landing parameters)+ a logbook system that show which routes you have flownWhat I don't need is:- a career mode where you advance through ranks or earn money- aircraft system failure generator as these are generally impossible to fit to 3rd party aircraft- a system that monitors things like setting the altimeter at correct TL or switching on the landing lights, unless they can be customized for any aircraft or route- manual cabin crew and passenger comfort handlingTo me it sounds like FSCaptain or a virtual airline would suit me much better that FSPassengers.
FSEconomy should do the trick for you too!!

Ignacio aka Tanocapo