Sign in to follow this  

Simcharts & COF

Hello everyone,I've been considering getting Jeppesen's Simcharts now for a couple months since I really enjoy flying instrument approaches in FS2002. That's pretty much the reason I purchased the simulator. Now I've read on Microsoft's website that in COF "IFR pilots can look up any instrument approach in the world" with its Garmin GPS feature.I'm assuming that this means COF includes approach plates (maybe even STARs & DPs?). Am I right about that? Since I'm planning on buying COF, should I even bother with Simcharts?Thanks,Matt MooreMoab, Utah

some good questions. I can reply to them based on my current best understanding of the situation.>I'm assuming that this means COF includes approach plates>(maybe even STARs & DPs?). Most likely it does not include them. Check with beta testers but I don't think this is the case, in other words you can't look-up Jeppesen charts for any airport in the US. There may be a few sample charts provided but that is it.>that in COF "IFR pilots can look up any instrument approach in>the world" with its Garmin GPS feature.>First, I saw pics of the Garmin featured in COF and I still think you need something like Reality-XP's Garmin 530 as an add-on, the one in COF simply does not look right. It just doesn't look right for someone who puts realism high on the list. But regardless which Garmin unit you are going to use their databases are most likely equivalent. But Garmin data does not give you any altitudes. This is the crux of the story about the Garmin not being able to fully replace the Jeppesen approach charts - some info is missing. There were articles on the subject in the FLYING magazine. Lack of altitude information (MDA, DH) in the data displayed on the 430/530 means you still have to access paper charts (or in electronic form) if you want to fly instrument approach *legally*. This limitation applies to real-life flying as well.So I am afraid for someone who wants to practice serious IFR in COF - you must also obtain the relevant charts by whatever means.Michael J.

I received a little flyer from Jeppesen, advertising Sim Charts v3.0 which was updated to reflect the current database that was being used in COF.

Guest brewmaster

Simcharts is perfect for COF and you will probably get more use out of it now more than ever (unless you have been flying with online controllers). COF allows you to do all standard approaches including DME arcs and all. Autopilot will even fly arcs and approaches if you are feeling lazy. Having the charts is nice since no charts are included with COF.Brew

>Simcharts is perfect for COF and you will probably get more>use out of it now more than ever (unless you have been flying>with online controllers). Could someone enlighten me on the subject of "all" standard approaches in COF ?For example I am approaching airport XYZ, does COF know for example that there is GPS, VOR and ILS for this airport ? Or it is up to me to know this and ask for one of them ?And assuming that COF *knows* about individual approaches is it aware what final course heading are for these approaches in order to vector me correctly ? And does it also know about prescribed altitudes for these aprroaches so say it won't try to start me on an ILS approach at 3000 ft when in Denver area ? Or again it is done in a very generic fashion.Michael J.http://www.reality-xp.com/community/nr/rsc/rxp-higher.jpg

Guest brewmaster

>For example I am approaching airport XYZ, does COF know for example >that there is GPS, VOR and ILS for this airport ? Or it is up to me >to know this and ask for one of them ?COF will initially clear you for an approach and give you vectors exactly as before. If you wish you can tell the controller to standby and you can pull up a list of all approaches (yes...gps, vor, ils, all are available) and select what you want. The controller will then clear you on that approach. All the approaches can be viewed (and thus loaded) in the GPS if you do not have charts. It is up to you to fly the approach and hold proper altitudes. ATC will not give you any more vectors unless you request them. (ie if you are lost you can ask for vectors to the airport) Brew

One recommendation....If there is a local airport nearby with a corporate flyign dept call them and ask what they do with their outdated jepp/noaa plates. they typically throw them away. you can get the entire country for free and not worry about paying $30 for jepp plates.

Guest RSmith

Frank,Would you update us on COF & SimCharts. Specifically, after reading the Jeppson link via FS9 "Partners", I'm not sure I understand how / if SimCharts "connects" into COF ? I noticed in their brief description of the SimChart software package, they "qualify" FS9 as being connected, whereas on other sim's - SImChart is intended to be used as a stand alone program.Still would provide the information I now want - with the enhanced GPS available approaches. Just curious how SimCharts actually links into COF - or if it does ?Thanks for any info.Ron6FD2

Guest OneTinSoldier

Hello Ron,I just bought SimCharts v3.0. It just came to my local Jeppesen dealer. I haven't used it yet. But I still think I can answer your question. I read about SimCharts v3.0 serveral days ago and saw a screenshot. And I think the answer to your question is, you used to run the SimCharts progam, then run MSFS leaving the SimCharts running on the desktop. To view them you'd have to ALT-TAB back to the desktop. In other words the charts were not viewable from within the MSFS while flying. Now, the program is integrated into FS9 so that you have the charts come up in a window IN FS9. So you don't have to ALT-TAB back to the desktop to get to your SimCharts. I hope that answers your question.Jim

Guest RSmith

Thanks Jim,Appreciate the help. Yup, probably spending more $$ next week on simmin......Ron

Guest paulri

From what I have seen so far, ATC does know about all published approaches for an airport. The ATC menu provides you a list of aproaches/runways to request. It also appears that it knows the terrain and is able to vector you away from terrain interception problems. :-)Final assigned altitudes so far appear to be the GS intercept altitude as published (or, procedure turn altitude).I have current approach plates for the entire US, where I sim fly. As of this time, each vector I have gotten was spot on, and altitude assignments were as published. Still have a lot more flying to do before I would say it has ALL airports worldwide correct though--I will say it appears to be vastly improved over FS2002.As an old former instrument rated pilot, who did his simulator training in the Link (Blue Canoe--any other old timers like me around??), I am impressed with what it can do. I would have KILLED to have had this at home back then. :-lol Paul

I'm using version 2.0 in FS9 and it works. However, when I pull up the chart in FS9 I can barely read it. In fact, I can't read it. You can see the pattern and your flight path but I can't read the frequencies or profile. There does not appear to be anyway to resize the charts from inside FS. I don't know if version 3.0 is any better. http://jdtllc.com/images/RCsupporter.jpg------------SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS------------ Dell Pentium 4 at 3.2GHz with 800MHz FSB 1GB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at 400MHz 128MB DDR ATI RADEON 9800 Pro 21 inch P1130 FD Trinitron CRT Monitor 120GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive Sound Blaster Audigy 2 with DVD Audio WindowsXP Home Edition with Microsoft Plus!

Tom