Sign in to follow this  
ExNusquam

Is it enough?

I am looking at getting a new computer in the next few days, and I was hoping someone with similar specs might chime in. The new rig will include:Intel Core i7 860 (2.8 ghz)4gb DDR3 RAMRadeon 4890 for the video cardBased on the benchmarks and other research I have done, it should be more than capable of running the more recent PMDG releases (JS41, MD-11), however I would like to know what kind of settings/frame I can expect in FS9/X based on actual user experience.

Joe Sherrill

Hi Joeseph, I think your specs are fine, but with prices on ram being cheap enough, I would go with the 6gig memory kit if your able. You'll save money down the road if you later want to upgrade. What are you thinking for a motherboard? If anything, get a decent MB 1st, then add what you can afford after. The i7 is great, as is the DDR3, so I'd recommend a decent ASUS board. Unless this is something that your buying prebuilt like and HP or Dell or something, then I guess you can't decide. Maybe someone else can advise on the video card. I'm not an ATI fan personally but from hearing some great things about the last couple for FSX may change my mind on that next time I upgrade. As far as frame rates, that's hard to say without knowing your addons, and settings that you expect to use etc. You won't have problems in FS9, or FSX from what I see. FSX can make you crazy though. Meaning, it doesn't take advantage of hardware the way we wish it did. The i7's a great choice though and currently the better of the bunch for CPU's IMO. You can't say what you'll get for performance until you get it all installed and test it out. Weather can play a huge roll and you'll have to play with your settings like even the best rig out there still does. I run a lot of addons and there are times I love my fps, then there are times I am practically watching a slide show @ 4 fps.(See my sig for my system specs). So to answer the title of this post,,, No, it is NEVER enough haha. Sounds like a good rig though, and sure you'll enjoy it on FS9\FSX. Just don't expect the world with FSX haha, no one can :(

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Thanks for the info :( I'll definately look at getting an additional 2gb of RAM. The main rig is a prebuilt from newegg. It's about the same cost as buying everything all at once, so I figured it would be easier to just buy it pre-assembled. The mobo is a Gigabyte UD2, which has gotten good reviews. My prime concern is having a safety net in case the NG2.0 doesn't make it out for FS9. And maybe the Jetstream if cashflow allows.

Joe Sherrill

Just a question for the technically minded here that relates to this post.How many cores does fsx actually use?

Just a question for the technically minded here that relates to this post.How many cores does fsx actually use?

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

I'd change 2 things:1. Get 8GB of RAM, it's cheap and with a 64 bit OS you'll be assured that you're never going to run out.2. Get the Radeon 5870 if you can find one in stock, all the reviews I've read say it's a serious improvement over the 4 series - especially do this if you play other games besides FSX.Pete,FSX can theoretically use up to 256 CPUs - the issue however is that the multithreading implementation is quite limited - it's some terrain setup/loading stuff and a few other things - nothing that's going to give you a really massive improvement. I would still get hte i7 over the i5 if money is no object, the i7s still have the turbo thing, but you have the flexibility of having those extra cores there for general windows stuff, other games that can utilize it better etc. The i7's got more cache as well I think,

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Pete,FSX can theoretically use up to 256 CPUs - the issue however is that the multithreading implementation is quite limited - it's some terrain setup/loading stuff and a few other things - nothing that's going to give you a really massive improvement. I would still get hte i7 over the i5 if money is no object, the i7s still have the turbo thing, but you have the flexibility of having those extra cores there for general windows stuff, other games that can utilize it better etc. The i7's got more cache as well I think,
I didn't know the i7-860 had Turbo boost. I've just had a look on intel's website and you're right. That changes everything! Thanks for your input.Regards,Pete (soon to have an i7-860) Smith!

I'd change 2 things:1. Get 8GB of RAM, it's cheap and with a 64 bit OS you'll be assured that you're never going to run out.
I currently run with 3gb, and I have NEVER had an OOM. I may end up on W7, so I'm planning on 8gb just to be safe.
2. Get the Radeon 5870 if you can find one in stock, all the reviews I've read say it's a serious improvement over the 4 series - especially do this if you play other games besides FSX.
I found one in stock, but it put me way over budget. The 4890 will be an improvement over my current 8800GT, and the only other games I play (Battlefield and the original Fallouts) scream on the 8800.

Joe Sherrill

I found one in stock, but it put me way over budget. The 4890 will be an improvement over my current 8800GT, and the only other games I play (Battlefield and the original Fallouts) scream on the 8800.
Take a look at the Radeon HD 5850, cheaper version of the 5870 but still has very good reviews.Pete Smith.