Sign in to follow this  

Wife's computer:Apparently months ago, I put a shortcut on my wife's computer desktop for internet explorer. It has worked flawlessly from then until today.After clicking on the shortcut this afternoon, she now gets an error window saying "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem.....We are sorry for this inconvinience."I tried deleting the desktop shortcut, right clicked on the desktop for the display properties, and selected the desktop tab for Desktop Items, clicked on customize desktop, and put a checkmark by "Internet Explorer". Every time I click on the Internet Explorer Icon that was put on the desktop by this method through Display Properties, it puts a shortcut on my desktop rather than connecting (Multiple shortcuts progressively every time). These shortcuts do nothing when I click on them.Recovered the original Internet Explorer desktop shortcut out of my recycle bin.I restarted the computer in safe mode, and was able to connect to the internet with no problem through the start>internet explorer option.Restarted in normal mode and was again able to connect. I installed some upgrades from MS. A little later, she would not connect again.Made a normal restart and disabled everything in the startup of "MSCONFIG" and restarted the computer. Still got the error and could not connect.Tried again in safe mode and now could not connect there either.Did a system restore to yesterday's automatic restore point. I was then able to connect for a while, but later the same problem returned and I was unable to connect to the internet.All of this being said, it is unique to my trying to connect to the internet. When I get the "Internet has encountered a problem....." bit and click send to MS, the communication completes, or says it does anyway. I can also send and receive emails at will with no problem, so I am sure the Lan connection is working. I have seen no problem relative to email communication.I have two more computers on the same home network, and they have no problem.Any ideas?Thanks:RTHEdit: While I can't connect myself, I get the little update announcement icon in my tray, click on it and am able to download windows updates just fine.

I suggest either trying to run Internet Explorer without addons, by going to Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Internet Explorer (no Add-ons). If it works, then it means that an addon or toolbar or something easy to fix is causing the issue. If it doesn't, there is another issue that may be more complex but still likely fixable.

I second the no add-ons suggestion. If that still doesn't work, uninstalling IE and reverting to the previous version would be the next step, unless you're running XP in which case you can download a utility called Dial-a-fix (Google it) and run the repair/reinstall IE option. Note this will not work if you are running Vista or 7, or if you have IE 8.

Thanks for the replies:I am running WinXPPro with Version 6 of Internet Explorer.I tried: Start>All Programs"Accessories>System Tools>Internet Explorer (no Add-ons) and still could not connect.I then tried Dial-a-fix. I do not see an option called "repair/reinstall IE" by exactly those words. There is an option on the mid-right portion of Dial-a-fix called: "Explorer/IE/OE/shell/WMP" under "Registration Center". This is the only option with the "Explorer/IE" text. Is this the only option I should check, or are there others from the choices below? I tried this one.I will attach a screenshot, but when changed to a JPG file small enough for forum limitations, it is barely legible. The display is described as follows:The version of Dial-a-fix is 0.60.0.24. (Is this the correct version that has been recommended?)In upper left of the window is the number "1" section called "Prep" with two options for check marks. "Empty temp folder""Adjust time/date"Under this on the left side is a number "2" section called "MSI" with one option for a check mark:"Fix Windows Installer" Under this option are four sub options which are grayed out. When this option is checked they are alive for check mark options."Stop Sevice""Unregister Windows Installer""Rerigister Windows Installer""Start Service"Under this on the left side is a number "3" section called "WU/WUAU" with one option for a check mark:"Fix Windows Update" Under this option are 3 sub options that are grayed out. When this option is checked they are alive for check mark options."Stop services:"Register WUAU DLLs""Start services"Also under this section "3" is a stand alone execution option in a box: "Flush SoftwareDistribution"Under this on the left side is "Options" with a check mark option for "Tooltips"In the Upper right is a number "4" section called: "SSL/HTTPS/Cryptography" with one option for a check mark:"Fix SSL/HTTPS/Cryptsvc: Under this option are four sub options that are grayed out. When this option is checked thay are alive for check mark options."Stop services:"Empty Sstem32/Catroot2""Register DLLs""Start service"Under this on the right side is a number "5" section called: "Registration center" with six options for a check mark:"ActiveX controls/codecs""Control Panel applets""Direct[X]Draw|Show|Media]""Programming cores/runtimes""Explorer/IE/OE/shell/WMP""Object linking libraries (OLE)"Under this there is an unnumbered section called: "Contact/visit" with four execution options:"Dial-a-fix website""Dial-a-fix hints page""Donate via Paypal""Get support at Lunarsoft.net"In addition to the above, across the bottom are Icons to select:"Go"A green checkmarkA red "X""Policies"A hammer checkmarkAn Icon that looks like a documentA "?" question mark icon"Exit"Again: ThanksRTH

Click the checkbox at the bottom left, uncheck "adjust date/time" then click Go at the bottom left. If that still doesn't fix it click the little hammer icon at the bottom right which will bring up a second set of tools. This has the "repair/reinstall IE" option.