Sign in to follow this  
snave

Upgrading Instruments

Is there a list anywhere of simple mods to add more sophisticated instrumentation to the birds, and on which ones this is possible for both 2d and VC?I'd like to add versions for the aircraft I own which carry the typical upgrades you'd find in even older aircraft in the European market. Radios with pre-selects are pretty much required these days in the complex ATC environment we operate in, and given the limitations in FS on proper trimming and `hands-off` flying a proper autopilot is also a really good accessory to have while you handle other tasks. I can't be the only one who finds it somewhat incongruous that there is only ever a single panel modelled in every Carenado aircraft, when you habitually include up-to-date paint schemes and models. Changes which, introduced as mid-life updates by owners would inevitably also include such things as modern Garmins, pre-select radios and the latest autopilot technology.

Is there a list anywhere of simple mods to add more sophisticated instrumentation to the birds, and on which ones this is possible for both 2d and VC?I'd like to add versions for the aircraft I own which carry the typical upgrades you'd find in even older aircraft in the European market. Radios with pre-selects are pretty much required these days in the complex ATC environment we operate in, and given the limitations in FS on proper trimming and `hands-off` flying a proper autopilot is also a really good accessory to have while you handle other tasks. I can't be the only one who finds it somewhat incongruous that there is only ever a single panel modelled in every Carenado aircraft, when you habitually include up-to-date paint schemes and models. Changes which, introduced as mid-life updates by owners would inevitably also include such things as modern Garmins, pre-select radios and the latest autopilot technology.
Friendly Panel products work very well, as do Reality XP.When I create these mods, I maintain the Carenado panel configurations as well (and can select them from the aircraft drop-down list as well), when I want to fly the original versions. I have up to three optional panel layouts for the 182's, as example. Then there are some, like the 152, that are left stock. Just seems to fit that aircraft best.

Friendly Panel products work very well, as do Reality XP.When I create these mods, I maintain the Carenado panel configurations as well (and can select them from the aircraft drop-down list as well), when I want to fly the original versions. I have up to three optional panel layouts for the 182's, as example. Then there are some, like the 152, that are left stock. Just seems to fit that aircraft best.
A couple of weeks ago flightsim.com had the friendly panels for 50% off. I pickup up the NavPack, GPSPack, and Meggitt Panels for about $10 each. You get multiple sets within the groups.

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

I find the autopilot's Carenado supplies pretty typical for these aircraft. Autopilot upgrades are prohibitive-and you usually find original equipment in this department-as long as possible.However, I'd sure like an ability to place Reality xp Garmin gps's easily which are fairly typically found retrofitted in these aircraft-that is not as big a deal-although any retrofit is a big deal.