Sign in to follow this  
RaptyrOne

Windows 7 and Out of Memory error

Having upgraded to Win 7 Home Premium 32 bit, I see that the infamous Out of Memory issue is still around. A search of Google shows that I am not alone. Is there an easy fix out there for this? I use FSX and fly almost exclusively the PDMG 747X. Very little add on scenery (except a couple airports). I have a NVidia GTX8800 graphics card and a Q9650 Core2Quad CPU so the sim runs pretty well with most settings at or near max. Currently using 3GB of RAMAny quick or even not so quick fixes for this?

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Having upgraded to Win 7 Home Premium 32 bit, I see that the infamous Out of Memory issue is still around. A search of Google shows that I am not alone. Is there an easy fix out there for this? I use FSX and fly almost exclusively the PDMG 747X. Very little add on scenery (except a couple airports). I have a NVidia GTX8800 graphics card and a Q9650 Core2Quad CPU so the sim runs pretty well with most settings at or near max. Currently using 3GB of RAMAny quick or even not so quick fixes for this?
Hi!The only reliable fix is an 64-bit OS. Sorry to say but it

With Vista 32 a common fix is to run "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2560" from a command prompt and reboot. I'm guessing that it would be the same with Win7 32-bit (since it is basically Vista as it should have been from the beginning). The actual value to use (e.g. 2560) depends on the amount of RAM on your graphics card - the value above should work with a 512 MB card.Since this type of command modifies how the OS uses memory internally, the potential exists for messing things up. Some research on the topic might be in order (you should start here: http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007...ess-space.aspx)Upgrading to Windows 7 64-bit is a better solution from a technical point of view, but this will most likely involve paying money.

With Vista 32 a common fix is to run "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2560" from a command prompt and reboot. I'm guessing that it would be the same with Win7 32-bit (since it is basically Vista as it should have been from the beginning). The actual value to use (e.g. 2560) depends on the amount of RAM on your graphics card - the value above should work with a 512 MB card.
Hi Tom,Thanks. my next PC will definitely be x64. Will probably upgrade sooner rather than later with all the new CPU and graphics choices becomeing available but for now i am stuck with 32bit.I have read about the bcdedit option but I was advised that this would only work if I sort out the Large Address Aware (LAA) setting on the simulator to tell it that there is more memory address available. Do you know if this is true and if so, how I go about doing that?PS: thanks for that link but it does not seem to work anymore.Thanks,Greg Hutcheon

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Hi Ryan,Not that I doubt that my system can run 64bit OS but rather because it requires a complete re-installation of the operating system. I figure that I will wait until I do the hardware upgrade for that drastic move. In a nutshell - I cannot bear the thought of re-installing everything onto the same hardware, only to do it all again when I get around to the hardware upgrade sometime in the probably not too distant future (got my eye on those new Core i7's and the GTX295 :( ). In my part of the world (South Africa) one pays a hefty premium for downloaded megabytes - each one hurts. Esxample: re-installing MS Office 2007 requires nearly 500MB in Service Pack 1 and 2 alone (and you can't simply save it as a file to install again later). All this stuff will need to be downloaded again... not to mention Windows and AV updates and new 64 bit drivers for my hardware. Then there are the FSX add on's, assigning keyboard commands, FSUIPC settings ..... the list goes on and on....urgh!Hence, pretty desperate/determined to try and make my current (fairly decent spec) system FSX compatible. (OOM = Incompatible, no debate :( )GregHutcheon

GregH

Why can't you run 64 bit? I have an older CPU than you and I'm running it just fine...
I don't think your running an old cpu. Its just aged a little, but still workin like a charm...see I run one of those too and I don't wanna upgrade.

I have read about the bcdedit option but I was advised that this would only work if I sort out the Large Address Aware (LAA) setting on the simulator to tell it that there is more memory address available. Do you know if this is true and if so, how I go about doing that?
If you are running FSX SP2 this flag is already set by the Aces team. I'm not sure about SP1.Apologies for the broken link - try this one: http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007...ress-space.aspx

Guest cquail
With Vista 32 a common fix is to run "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2560" from a command prompt and reboot. I'm guessing that it would be the same with Win7 32-bit (since it is basically Vista as it should have been from the beginning). The actual value to use (e.g. 2560) depends on the amount of RAM on your graphics card - the value above should work with a 512 MB card.Since this type of command modifies how the OS uses memory internally, the potential exists for messing things up. Some research on the topic might be in order (you should start here: http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007...ess-space.aspx)Upgrading to Windows 7 64-bit is a better solution from a technical point of view, but this will most likely involve paying money.
I recently switched to Windows 7 and had the same OOM's as Vista until I did the bcdedit thing....worked for me in both Vista and Windows 7

Hi Ryan,Not that I doubt that my system can run 64bit OS but rather because it requires a complete re-installation of the operating system. I figure that I will wait until I do the hardware upgrade for that drastic move. In a nutshell - I cannot bear the thought of re-installing everything onto the same hardware, only to do it all again when I get around to the hardware upgrade sometime in the probably not too distant future (got my eye on those new Core i7's and the GTX295 :( ). GregHutcheon
The 295 is the wrong card for FSX, go with the 285 or ATI 5870. FSX doesn't like SLI or double cards like the 295, in many cases use of such cards actually degrades FSX performance.I would also suggest you check out this thread here: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

The 295 is the wrong card for FSX, go with the 285 or ATI 5870. FSX doesn't like SLI or double cards like the 295, in many cases use of such cards actually degrades FSX performance.I would also suggest you check out this thread here: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041
Interesting link that! Well for me, I hope I have seen the last of the OOM errors.....I could not handle it anymore and accelerated my planned PC upgrade by a good couple of months. Now in the 64bit arena. New specs in my signature. So far, so good, touch wood.

GregH

I now run fs9 on a win 7 64 bit with 6 GB of RAM but I still experience OOM errors, albeit not with any PMDG product. I also now with Win7 have other problems with some airplane configuration tools (eg Dreamfleet 727, DA Fokker 70, ATR72-500 - Flight1 related?) but I have no problems actually flying and operating those aircrafts. But if I will continue having OOM errors when I approach the end of my 10 h flight on VATSIM, then you will soon have a grown man crying.

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Guest DENMARK1

i have win7 64bit to, and i have NEVER had an oom since i get over to 64 bit it could be your memory that is bad. i have kingston and they just work.

I now run fs9 on a win 7 64 bit with 6 GB of RAM but I still experience OOM errors, albeit not with any PMDG product. I also now with Win7 have other problems with some airplane configuration tools (eg Dreamfleet 727, DA Fokker 70, ATR72-500 - Flight1 related?) but I have no problems actually flying and operating those aircrafts. But if I will continue having OOM errors when I approach the end of my 10 h flight on VATSIM, then you will soon have a grown man crying.
Krister!Are you sure it

You must make FS9 Large Address Aware to take advantage of the 64-bit system http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtop...p;#entry1650184

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.