Sign in to follow this  

I just gotta get a new soap box.

Guest Dan CYKA

I just don't get it. I have been stomped down before in the forums for speaking out about this model, and I don't understand why all the "realism lovers" have not jumped aboard this plane and given it its just reward.When it comes to a realistic, super, wonderful, fly it right or get out of the seat plane, the fanda Dash 8 is by far one of, if not the, best planes out there. Sure, I agree the outside model is not the best, but the panel, which Oleskiy Frolov was really trying to build in the first place, is by far the tops. His attention to detail is incredible. I have always loved the Dash 8 and bought the PSS model. I have a pretty good collection of some awsome models in my hanger, but, I just can't get enough of the fanda model. Sure the FMS is not developed yet, but Oly is working on it. You can bet your sweet bubble gum chewer, that when the new payware model comes out I will be at the door with card in hand. I have gone back to a number of the aircraft I have, including the PSS but I always end up back in the fanda cockpit. Oly has given out a top notch product here. I am surprised that no one has given a review on any of the web site front pages of this model. I am really surprised, maybe I missed it, that Mr Bear never mentioned it. I just don't get it. Is it the learning curve to get to a point that you have to fly this model properly? Is it because you can't get this plane going in 3.2 seconds and off you go? I just don't understand why this model has not made people sit up and take notice of a model, that raises the bar way above some of the paywares best to offer.Now that I have once again not been able to hold it in about this great work of art, have a look for yourself.Website: http://hanger.fsbaltic.net/dash8/Support Forum: http://forum.fscentre.com/

The difference between payware and freeware IMO is that with payware the visual model and the panel (in most cases..there are exceptions of course) are EXPECTED to be better then what is currently available freeware wise.Olys Dash-8 is GREAT, but it lacks the exterior detail that payware has (the PSS Dash-8 for instance). The PSS Dash has a great exterior model, great VC, custom sounds, and a great panel with a great manual. I would think that these are things that most would expect in a payware add-on aircraft.That certainly isn't to say Olys isn't as good, it is just as good...only in a different way.I like them both, but I never fly Olys because to me in order to really "simulate" flight the aircraft must be as close to the orginal visually as possible. I am different then many though..some are panel lovers, some hardly ever fly because they favor re-painting and tinkering, some only fly aircraft that have thier favorite livery....to each his own. We are all right when it comes to our own opinions. :)

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

There's no question that the PSS wins in the visuals department - the VC is the best I've seen in any aircraft. But I prefer Oleksiy's flight model, systems and sounds.If I could just figure out how to merge them (sigh).

Guest Dan CYKA

I agree 100%. The PSS has beat the visuals hands down. No question about that. The VC is also the best I have seen. Now if only Oly and PSS could get together and build a new plane, then we would have the ultimate in flight simming. But, as far as sound and realism, along with dynamics go, fanda.

Dan,You're not the first to mention Oleskiy's DASH 8, but I found that particular aircraft unusable on my system that I have been using for FS2002. I don't know if it is an issue of my graphics card (GeForce2 MMX) or display settings, but the panel in that aircraft is completely unreadable and I simply have never been able to use it. I deleted that aircraft from my system many months ago and until your posting had completely forgotten about it. Sorry!Bear!

Yes, I know exactly what you are saying. I suspect it is the lack of a VC more than anything. I hope he rectifies that because to be honest, the Dash 8 by Frolov is the FIRST "true" turboprop (that I've run across) model in FS ever. I work on Dash 8's in RL and this airplane handles and sounds exactly like the real thing (as close as FS can get anyway). The sounds and the fact that you can not only hear, but FEEL the props going into flat pitch while taxiing is ground breaking IMHO. I asked once whether Aerosoft's ATR does the same thing (anybody know?), because it could be Frolov's rival if it does, yet with the VC and the outside visuals. I must admit, while it would be nice if Frolov's outside visuals were slightly better, I'm one of those who spends most of his time inside the cockpit, so it isn't a huge issue with me (his visuals are still better than most of the others out there anyway). I am sincerely hoping he completes the package (VC or at worst, interior views - by the by, I tried adding interior views, but it doesn't completely work, and I haven't quite figured out why yet), because it would be a must for my hanger. Nevertheless, as I say, he has broken new ground with this machine, and I suspect it is because many folks here are not that familiar with RW turboprops and perhaps are under the impression that all turboprops handle the way the FS Caravan and King Air do.

Guest Dan CYKA

If your looking for some interior views, do a extended search under my name (Dan Port) in the library. I did put a couple together. My Canadian Forces repaint, the rear view shows the inside of the CAF Dash. I also have a copilot and none copilot version for ya.

Thanks Dan! I'll look for that for sure!Glenn (CYKF) :-)

Guest Douglas K

>When it comes to a realistic, super, wonderful, fly it right or get out of the seat plane, the fanda Dash 8 is by far one of, if not the, best planes out there. I work on Dash 8's in RL and this airplane handles and sounds exactly like the real thing (as close as FS can get anyway). The sounds and the fact that you can not only hear, but FEEL the props going into flat pitch while taxiing is ground breaking IMHO.Nevertheless, as I say, he has broken new ground with this machine, and I suspect it is because many folks here are not that familiar with RW turboprops and perhaps are under the impression that all turboprops handle the way the FS Caravan and King Air do.I don't know if it is an issue of my graphics card (GeForce2 MMX) or display settings, but the panel in that aircraft is completely unreadable and I simply have never been able to use it.< Bear,you could try using 1280x1024 screen resolution, that might improve the readability of the gauges for you. I have the same graphics card and the panel works fine for me.For those really tough to read smaller parts, a magnifying glass from the drugstore should be in everyone's flight bag, especially if you're over forty! This airplane is so good that its worth a little squinting and eyestrain.

Guest Douglas K

Well if you have to have that pretty PSS visual model, and Oleksiy's panel, then go here:http://forum.fscentre.com/index.php?board=6 and look at this thread:"Squawk box FMS does not command the Dash" and see my reply concerning the panel/visual model merge of these two fine aircraft.

Ohhh, you're THAT Dan Port :-)!!! Hey man, you do GOOD work! Many thanks for these, and your many other excellent Canadian paints and whatnot. Much appreciated.Glenn

Guest PhilipManwaring

Bear,I had trouble reading the panel at first too. Did you try my PANEL.CFG modifications? On my system, they make the text much easier to read on most panels. You can find the post here:http://forums.avsim.com/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchThis Dash-8 is a remarkable piece of work and definitely not to be missed!

Hey Douglas, interesting :-). I'm an avionics tech that does work on Dash 8's. I really like that machine for sure! I know what you mean about the air conditioning packs and whatnot :-). One thing I REALLY like about Oleksiy's machine too is when you get into cruise and pull the props back to 900 rpm. Man, that gives a nice deep rumbling sound again just like the real thing! Even when it's starting up, the sounds are so real if I close my eyes, I can almost feel the airplane shaking from those big props starting to turn. I've seen pics of that new Aerosoft ATR that's out and was wondering how it stacks up. Have you got it or heard anything about it? One fellow I conversed with said that the props going into beta could be heard on that machine as well, but I've not heard anything more about it. I'd like to check it out, but I've sure been spoiled by the -8, so it would have to be pretty good for me to consider it over the 8.Glenn