Sign in to follow this  
Guest RGH

FS Navigator on 2nd monitor with FS9

Guest RGH

HiCould anyone please help. When I was running FSX. I could run FS Commander on my second monitor while I ran FSX on the main monitor Is this possible with FS9 and FS Navigator. RegardsRex

HiCould anyone please help. When I was running FSX. I could run FS Commander on my second monitor while I ran FSX on the main monitor Is this possible with FS9 and FS Navigator. RegardsRex
Yes, been doing it for many years. You can designate a specific key of your choice to move it to the place you want it to be.

Hit the little "acorn"-looking thingy in the FSNavigator command bar. That undocks the picture and you can drag it to the second monitor.gwillmot

Guest RGH
Hit the little "acorn"-looking thingy in the FSNavigator command bar. That undocks the picture and you can drag it to the second monitor.gwillmot
Hi Thank you both for your assistance, but my old FS Navigator as just told me that my trials up :( and it will not accept my old log-in so I have now updated FS Commander and will use that. Got it all loaded and working but try as I might, I can not find out what to check to stop FS9 pausing every time I use the map. could anyone help me on that one please.RegardsRex.

Hi Thank you both for your assistance, but my old FS Navigator as just told me that my trials up :( and it will not accept my old log-in so I have now updated FS Commander and will use that. Got it all loaded and working but try as I might, I can not find out what to check to stop FS9 pausing every time I use the map. could anyone help me on that one please.RegardsRex.
HelloPossibly "Pause on task switch" in the FS9 settings

HelloPossibly "Pause on task switch" in the FS9 settings
Not so. "Pause on Task" seems to merely activate the red "PAUSED" notation.Activating (clicking on) one program stops the other- which then has to be restarted by clicking on it. I assume we would have to have multithreading capability in the operating system & hardware to allow two programs to run simultaneously.For now it seems to be one or the otherAlex Reid

Guest RGH
Not so. "Pause on Task" seems to merely activate the red "PAUSED" notation.Activating (clicking on) one program stops the other- which then has to be restarted by clicking on it. I assume we would have to have multithreading capability in the operating system & hardware to allow two programs to run simultaneously.For now it seems to be one or the otherAlex Reid
Hi I unchecked pause on Task in FS9 and it as fixed it,Strange how the mind works,as soon as I read how to do it I remembered from my FSX days :( Well its back to my early days in Flight sim when I would sit up until the early hours,it is now 0400hrs in the UK and I can go to bed to sleep without a head full of FS9Thank you all again Rex.

Not so, Alex. Unchecking the "Pause on Task" option will allow FS to continue running even when the focus shifts to another running program...However, the sound will mute whenever FS looses focus, since the OS synchs the audio source input to the active window.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Not so, Alex. Unchecking the "Pause on Task" option will allow FS to continue running even when the focus shifts to another running program...However, the sound will mute whenever FS looses focus, since the OS synchs the audio source input to the active window.
Fr Bill- Your post is quite correct- living proof for me again, that one is never too old to learn! Thank you.I had mistakenly assumed while sitting on the runway waiting for TO, that the lack of motion & sound was a PAUSE. It is NOT!So YES, unticking Pause on Task does allow a second program to run in parallel.The attached pic shows your AVSIM post correcting me, in parallel with FS9 while circling CYYJ.The amazing thing is that I can detect no frame rate penalty!!!!!!Forther investigation needed for this multi mon goodie!Possibly very handy to follow the AVSIM forums while on an instrument approach?Alex ReidFS9 + AVSIM Forum with Fr Bill's post advising me of the error of my ways! Over the BC Gulf Islands- SaltSpring Isl is ahead in the left monitor.

Alex, all of us learn something new everyday......or, at least we should! I frequently have something loaded on one of my side monitors, such as a PFD manual, or something else useful while continuing to run FS9/X on the main screen.I just wish that they'd recoded the sound system to not mute when the sim isn't in focus.

Fr. Bill    

Alex, all of us learn something new everyday......or, at least we should! I frequently have something loaded on one of my side monitors, such as a PFD manual, or something else useful while continuing to run FS9/X on the main screen.I just wish that they'd recoded the sound system to not mute when the sim isn't in focus.
Fr Bill- are you displaying FS on ONLY your main screen? Having multiple FS Views all synched together on triple monitors has a remarkable impact on visual realism. Converts FS9 into FS11 !Alex Reid

Fr Bill- are you displaying FS on ONLY your main screen? Having multiple FS Views all synched together on triple monitors has a remarkable impact on visual realism. Converts FS9 into FS11 !Alex Reid
I only use a single, wide-screen monitor for FS normally......mostly because I'm working on various projects...Multiple monitors are therefore used so that I can have FS9/X running on the main screen, with Max or GMax on the left side, and Visual Studio and/or Photoshop open on the right side. :( I have three systems running 24/7, each of which has at least three LCD screens.

Fr. Bill    

I only use a single, wide-screen monitor for FS normally......mostly because I'm working on various projects...Multiple monitors are therefore used so that I can have FS9/X running on the main screen, with Max or GMax on the left side, and Visual Studio and/or Photoshop open on the right side. :( I have three systems running 24/7, each of which has at least three LCD screens.
Ah- what a pity to always view the world through a telescope! Alas, poor Yorick!Alex ReidAnderson Lake, north of Vancouver BC

Ah- what a pity to always view the world through a telescope! Alas, poor Yorick!Alex ReidAnderson Lake, north of Vancouver BC
Hello AlexWhile i appreciate that you enjoy your setup you must realize that there are other ways of enjoying the simFor instance TrackIR will give you a much better sense of "being there" than your multi monitor setup.It seems that every thread I read has a screenshot of your setup, we have all seen it now and nice as it isplease let us enjoy the sim in the way that suits each individual.I could follow up your every post with a glowing tribute to TrackIR, but that would get old very quickly as well

Hello Alex------------For instance TrackIR will give you a much better sense of "being there" than your multi monitor setup.-----------
The manufacturers of commercial simulators, such as CAE and Rockwell - and their customers, would likely disagree: triple projection systems would seem to be the mode of choice in real aviation sims. I am unaware of any commercial simulator that uses pan and zoom in its world display system- or the cockpit panel.Regards Alex Reid