Sign in to follow this  
shortspecialbus

Not getting weather updates once airborne

In any plane, any situation, I stop getting weather updates and the sim reverts to no weather whatsoever a few minutes after takeoff, whenever I get out of hte range of the initial station.I had this problem once before, and it sort of went away, but now it's back. This is using ASA, currently Build 435 with FSX/Simconnect.Things I have tried: * Complete re-install to Windows 7 64 (from xp 64), along with Complete reinstall from scratch of FSX, ASA, everything - wiped the drive * none of that worked. * Tried putting ASA on another computer, and running via SimConnect interface. That works exactly the same as running locally. * Everything else. I went over this some time ago.What I would like to try is to make ASA running remotely think I'm using FS9 and therefore give me weather with FSUIPC instead of SimConnect as I get no weather with Simconnect.I have WideFS (registered) so I should be able to do this from waht I'm reading. I don't have an FS9 install anywhere and I don't want to make one. Where should I tell ASA to look for the folders?Please give the exact steps I need to do to try this.After nearly a year of no weather with ASA, I'm giving up on SimConnect, since a complete reinstall including a new OS and everything did squat.Thanks,-stefan

Hi,Is FSX installed outside of the Program Files folder? It should be as we are finding out with add-ons.Is ASA installed outside of the Program Files folder? Same as above.Is Lock to Closest checked On in ASA?Does ASA recognize your current location in FS?With ASA running is the weather in FSX set to User Defined?There are no steps to set up FSUIPC4/WideFS/ASA/FSXThanks,

Hi,Is FSX installed outside of the Program Files folder? It should be as we are finding out with add-ons.
Yes, c:\Microsoft blah blah
Is ASA installed outside of the Program Files folder? Same as above.
Yes, c:\HiFi\Blah. On the other machine (actually a mac running vmware fusion) it is in Program Files, but that's running XP Pro 32
Is Lock to Closest checked On in ASA?
Yes.
Does ASA recognize your current location in FS?
Yes, on both machines, it is reporting correctly in the "Report" screen.
With ASA running is the weather in FSX set to User Defined?
Yes, ASA sets it itself.
There are no steps to set up FSUIPC4/WideFS/ASA/FSX
As in, it's not possible? Or I shouldn't have to do anything?I've read in a few other places where you say that you have FSUIPC mode working with FSX/ASA. Such as in this thread:http://www2.hifisim.com/node/41But I'm having trouble getting ASA to work correctly.
Thanks,
Thanks as well,-stefan

Hi,What happens when you run the AI Traffic utility from the client with FSX running on the server?

Hi,What happens when you run the AI Traffic utility from the client with FSX running on the server?
It connects and shows traffic.For now, let's ignore the SimConnect via separate computer aspect and worry about the install on the same machine.Now, I just did a test flight and noticed something. On this specific flight, at least, weather *seemed* to work at least to approximately until I went into FSUIPC and looked around some menus at something. Is it possible that going into menus "breaks" the simconnect connection? After that, the winds gradually dropped to something like 355@0 and the cloud cover just all slowly went away over a few minutes.-stefan

Hi,Yes going to a menu, pauses or breaks things for a bit. That is an FS situation and we can't do anything about that.Thanks,

Ok, it seems for the most part that if I stay out of menus, I have more luck. However, I occasionally am having strange upper wind shifts.Forecast winds at my current altitude/location are about 290-300 @ 48 or so. However, the winds just did a complete 360 over a few minutes, rotating from 290 - 30 - 90 - etc all the way back to about 315. Now, I have FSUIPC limit wind shifts to 2/sec as otherwise the plane tries to fall out of the sky. Currently this is far more livable than no weather at all.[edit]Currently winds are still about 45 degrees off what they should be, sitting at 325 stable when forecast to about 280[/edit]I know this particular topic has been beaten to death, but any ideas?ASA Settings:Lock to closest, Force to Real TimeDepict Hurricanes, Create Additional Stations, Enhance Route CoverageDynamic Rate of Change: 50%Wind options are mostly standard although I lowered Automatic Thermal to 25% DWC is OFF (I will not turn it on as I can't stand the side effects, just a personal preference)Visibility: Fog Layer and Disable Haze Layer are checked.FSUIPC Settings (going from memory here since I don't want to wreck this flight, haha):Enable Changes to FS Own Weather: checkedLimit wind changes: 2/sec [edit2] Probably going to change this to 1 every 2 seconds, as 2/sec is too fast still [/edit2]Suppress turbulenceSuppress Cloud turbulenceBarometric Pressure changes limited to 20Temperature changes limited to whatever the default isThanks,-stefan

Hi,A screen shot of the ASA Report Screen and shot of FS will help me a lot!Thanks,