Sign in to follow this  
JerryG

Yet another fs2004 question.

Guest jmarcure

I have just picked up a GeForce FX 5200 video card which is allegedly DrictX9 enabled. As I understand it FS2004 was developed with DirectX9.The only DirectX9 software I currently have is the New TombRaider game and I

I just bought an FX 5200 yesterday and am having no issues with it in FS2004. I am still dialing and tweaking, but there are no fundamental issues with the PCI version.

Guest jmarcure

Thanks Tom. I was kind of worried there because of the problems with Tomb Raider.The card was a great leap forward for me with FS2002 and I was going to be bummed if I ran into problems with FS2004.Thanks again,Jon

Guest jmarcure

Sorry, I wanted to ask in my reply.What driver version are you using?The people over at the Tomb Raider forums keep saying I have a driver issue. I've tried 43.45, 44.03 and 44.67 and none have helped me out. My card came with the 44.03 drivers.Thanks,Jon

Tom.I also have a 5200. What tweaking do you recommend to maximize FS performace (fs2k2).

Guest CaptainNick

Does FS2004 require a Direct 9x compatable card, or are most graphics cards 9x compatable with the use of updated drivers? I have just purchased a radeon 9800 pro for myself, but I am looking at problems that my fathers PC might have with COF. He has a 64mb Geforce 2MX installed, will he need a new card? If so he will be running my old card (theres a long story behind this which I won't go into) which is a GFX 5200. What drivers are best for this card?Cheers :-beerchug

Nick from what I see, yes most cards are compatible with DX9.0 with a driver update, of course.

No compatibility issues. The GF2 will run fine with DX9. It won't use any of the DX9 features, of course, but, then again, neither does FS2004. He won't have any problems but the 5200 would probably improve the rendering a bit.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest CaptainNick

Thanks for the info chaps :-yellow1

I can't speak to the FS2004 version, but I just replaced my 64MB GeForce 2MX with a GeForce FX 5200 128MB 4x/8x AGP card. I know, I know, with the high end Radeon cards and new nVidiacards, they would run better. But my mother board is limitedto 4x AGP so more $$$ for more video card quality would not helpme too much with FPS - just a better quality picture. And,with the GeForce FX 5200 at a $99.00 price point, it fitwithin my budget. Of course, video cards are like frogs -each month a more powerful/feature enriched card isproduced making my exiting card obsolete ... Just like computers too!With all the new "tweaks" available (anisotropic filtering, etc.),I've been able to make FS2002 look MUCH better. I've seen __NO__increase in frame rates, but they've not gone down either.However, the "blurry texture" issue that has been reported in manyposts (and that I've experienced with my previous graphics card) is now eliminated for me! So, the overall quality is MUCH better, butno FPS increase.For reference:P4 1.7GB768MB RAM1024x768x32bitDirectX9128MB AGP BIOS setting (I tried them all - 16, 64, 128, 256)GeForce "tweaks" 4x or 8x anisotropic filtering (8x slows fpsjust a tad). Set AA to "application". I tried all the various AAsettings and the picture quality appears the same.I know there's much more tweaking that could be done, but I spentabout 3 hours changing display settings and comparing and theabove settings work fine for me. Just tweak to get the quality youprefer.JerryG