Sign in to follow this  
planenut

Pick a Scenery

I am compiling my Christmas list and am trying to decide which scenery add-on the wife should surprise me with."She" is trying to decide between Ultimate Terrain X, Ground Enviroment X, or FS Global 2010 X. Would appreciate any input from those that have used any of these and your impressions. Pros and cons of each that you are aware of.Thanks for any help because "she" is having a hard time deciding.Jim

Well, if I was only able to get one it would be a toss up for me between UTX and GEX, since mesh doesn't really excite me much. I would probably choose GEX first since the textures will probably be the most noticable. UTX is good also because it will add the missing roads, water bodies, and fix the coast lines. However in UTX you have the potential of dragging down the performance a little depending on which and how many options you use, where GEX is no performance hit because it just replaces textures. Also be aware that using UTX, when you install the patches and go from verasion 1.2 to 1.3, 1.3 adds a fix that will add traffic to all the roads. Due to this you have to turn your raod traffic way down because of the performance hit. I ended up using the 1.2 traffic files on top of the 1.3 patch. The info to do this is available on thier forum.For mesh I am using FSGenesis, but to be honest since I dont fly in or around the mountains much, mesh doesn't really do anything for me.How about REX - Real Environment Extreme. This would be a nice gift as well. You get a weather engine, clouds, sky colors, airport ground enhancements, lights, lightning effects

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I'd go for FTX Pacific NorthWest, assuming they get it out this side of Xmas. Otherwise REX would have the biggest impact on your FSX experience.Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

I too want to bolster my scenery range and depth in FSX as I'm not happy with the defaults. I can't seem to get the settings right that offers some 'good' scenery as well as keeping my FPS as high as possible. I was looking into REX yesterday and I'm certainly impressed by what it can offer.With it being so detailed, does it hit hard on the FPS?Adam

My first addon is always Ultimate Terrain X for whatever part of the world I will be flying. If your intention is to spend a lot of money on photo-scenery, spending any on UTX might not be a good idea.

Art

I am compiling my Christmas list and am trying to decide which scenery add-on the wife should surprise me with."She" is trying to decide between Ultimate Terrain X, Ground Enviroment X, or FS Global 2010 X. Would appreciate any input from those that have used any of these and your impressions. Pros and cons of each that you are aware of.Thanks for any help because "she" is having a hard time deciding.Jim
Has anyone had any experience with FS Global 2010 X? I had never heard of it until I saw it advertised in the PC Aviator Catalog. Seems rather expensive compared to GEX or UTX. - $79.95. Supposed to be worldwide terrain mesh coverage.