Sign in to follow this  
Splash_One

Walk Away From Flight Sim While You Can!!

Guest Id Rather Be Flying

Ok, I was just perusing an alternate Flight Sim site and came across a discussion about saving old manuals and boxes and such.It got me thinking about what I could handle since I USED to do that with boxes and still have TONS of user manuals.I propose the following question to the flight sim community : How many people could ACTUALLY pack up your computer never to use flight sim again?I know that it would take a LARGE LIFE altering experience for me to do it. I did years and years ago around 1991 where I sold all my computers and bought a motorcycle and spent MORE time in the gym but it lasted only 6 - 8 months and I've been back on the PC ever since.I use it daily for everything for my business, programming, Flight Sim, Wolfenstein, Email, Stocks, etc.. It's what I do every night instead of sitting in front of a TV.

my computer and flightsim is like a second wife to me.If i had a wife :-lol

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

I know what you mean. I am addicted to this computer.

Guest Id Rather Be Flying

"my computer and flightsim is like a second wife to me"Actually, the funny part about that for me was when I got an Amiga when it first came out in early 80's I used to tell my girlfriend at the time that AMIGA is Spanish for girlfriend!! :-lol

Guest crashing_pilot

well i sure could not walk away from it,even if my wife would give me the choice between her and flightsim....i get way too much enjoyment out of simming,and besides,i don't have to ask my computer if she's in the mood for flying...she's always ready when i want to fly ;-)regards

Guest A321

Since getting into flightsim I have put on the weight, this is bad for you!!, a post flight cigerette, goes down just great. :)I am taking steps to beat my addiction by going to the GYMN, and im trying to gove up smoking, its a long leg ahead, but ill get there.Flight sim is just soo good, its awesome, and by wonderful future wife is so understnading, but sometimes I wonder if she thinks im a big baby. I used to really neglect her at one stage, but now im better, and she stayed faithful, and now we spend amost of time together. I cant beleive a game can take your life over so badly.Flight sim RULES... :)Jason

I had a hard drive crash about a month ago, and I said to myself:"Self, just wait until FS2004. No sense in adding all those flights and sceneries and AFCADs and aircraft."Well yesterday I finished adding the last of the MRAI flightplans and aircraft, I'm back to who knows how many sceneries, and I'm flying daily.In brief, no. I couldn't just walk away either.Cheers,Glenn

Guest P3_Super_Bee

I removed FS from the computer once couple years back, I watched the forums for about a month before reposting. Made it about 5 -6 monthes before FS was reinstalled. FS is a great getaway for me.

:-outta

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".- unknown
"My daddy gives me up, to fight for you"- a US Military Members Child

Guest Tumbleweed

I'm glad we all feel the same way. Suppose as long as we 'balance' our lives, flightsim aint that bad an addiction. Personally though, I'd rather be flying. Hehehe..I actually did my last flight on FS2002 this weekend (uninstalled it) and promised myself not to fly until FS2004 arrived from Amazon.co.uk. It will definately be worth the wait, but oh, the pain until then.....:-)Safe simmingEric

Guest claudius41ad

Hi there :-wave I stopped flight simming for about a couple of years. Recently this year I purchased a new computer at a pretty good price. I had spent a lot less than I anticipated, so I purchased a few extras......including FS 2002.Therefore - back in harness again lolWhy I stopped flying in the past, I just cannot imagine? It seems that FS 2002 will not be in use for long....once FS 2004 is available in the UK.Like all of you who have posted above, I am flying most evenings.(TV is trash anyway.)RegardsRoger

Guest Terblanche

If only my wife could understand this ...... years ago when I started to fly commercially I went through a divorce because my wife did not understand my passion for flying and the fact that I was more away from home then with her in bed ... After 10 years of being single and flying to my hearts desire I got remarried and now I hear them inni whiny whiny whiny about sitting behind my computer on flightsim!I am addicted.I am a flightsim addict.I need help.Where is the nearest AA (Aviation Anonymous)TPS: Just last night she came into my study and switched the computer off with a huge BLAH BLAH about what time it is. I was in the middle of a flight between London and Stuttgart when it happen. Today she's at work and I have to explain to 122 passengers why they were stuck in midair for the whole night - our airline can not afford this kind of wifeism.

Too funny!! I am the same way and it is great to know that I am not alone!!! Luckily my girlfriend is a very busy person and we don't live in the same apt, so I have the time to fly, but all my VA obligations, files that need added, scenery projects, where does the time go!! LOL I don't watch TV anymore, I just get off work, stop by the gym, get some dinner and get on the PC! LOL I have friends that DRAG me out quite often, but I can't count the times I have been at a bar and wondered about tweaking a new AFCAD file, working on increasing autogen in a scenery project, or taking the Cheyenne on a flight around the Caribbean.How many here talk to their significant others about FS only to have them give you that "FS again?" look?!I had a HD crash not long ago and it was amazing how much real world stuff I got done with no PC for a few days! LOL (talk about cold turkey!) They should open a rehab center for us! LOLRegards, Michaelhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir International VAwww.calvirair.comCougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviationwww.cgrmtnhelos.com

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest Tumbleweed

Hehehe - we can be a sad bunch sometimes can't we. At least we understand what we're on about. I don't even mention FS to the muggles folk. You can't explain it convincingly to people who (a) have no interest in aviation and (:( brand all game players as geeks. To be fair, I am also a tri-athlete and play squash, so at least the balance is there. Life is not all just pixels and keyboards :-)But give the muggles half a chance at the controls of FS2004 and they too will talk our language. :-lolErich

Don't know. Could probably get on with life if I had something to replace it.If there's one thing I can't do it's spend the evenings and weekends watching television being indoctrinated by the media and advertisers like a good solid citizen.I sometimes do go for months with almost no flightsimming at all (just enough to meet my VA quota and keep my VATSIM membership alife), but only if there's something else to take its place (in summer, that's photography).

Guest Aidi

I couldnt agree more on the addiction side of Flight Simming, but one of the other great things it brings to us is the amazing community that makes it all the more worth while. I for one have had great pleasure getting know so many people around the world, and lots who I now consider as good friends.RgdsAidihttp://www.vfr-flightcenter.com/avsim_sig.jpg