Sign in to follow this  
Splash_One

Walk Away From Flight Sim While You Can!!

Guest ssurjap

There are times when I've said "I don't feel like flying" and I stay away for maybe two or three days, but I'll always go back to it.

I look at it like this:Some are addicted to smoking, some to drinking, some to hard drugs and some to gambling. Some are a combination of the above. I am not one of these. I am addicted to flightsim and many other games. This habit combined with getting projects done around the house, enjoying the great outdoors makes me a happy guy! After a hard days work and an evening landscaping my yard it is wonderful to sit down relax and fly to some exotic desitination that will take me away from work and landscaping my yard!Besides, when the misses see all the work I have done around the house she is less likely to compalain about the hours I spend on the computer FSing. As long as I put the autopilot on so that we can spend some time together to..... It is all about moderation....

I to have suffered from flightsim addiction. One time my dad pulled the plug on my PC and took it away for 2 WEEKS! I was going okay for the first week, the second was agony. I got so desperate that when he went out to dinner one night with my mom I took my brothers power cable so I could fly for a measly 20 mins. He finally gave it back and I was so grateful I waxed his car so shiny when you looked at it, it hurt your eyes. Well I do have to say a few good things about it. Its a good passtime, as we all know. ITS FUN! Lastly it gets us out of the TV, I have seen lives rotted away by the TV and the PC, but MUCH more harsly on the TV. People watch the media and catch onto what THEY want you to think. At least on the PC we are free to express our thoughts on the forums, and friendship. I have met more people on here in the past 4 years than in MY ENTIRE LIFETIME, thats 17 years at the moment. It has been my eye to the world. A place to hear other peoples philosophy, and express my own, while keeping my own thoughts, and not being corrupted. Can you do that to the media or with a TV? NO SIR YOU CANNOT!

Guest Howard

My wife does not complain too much. She always says that at least she knows where I am; not with another woman or down the pub.:) RegardsHoward

Guest tascaso

I get totally obsessed with FS, I get most of the GOOD payware aircraft and fly them as much as possible. I have gotten away from tweaking the AI by using Ultimate Traffic what a blessing. The problem is that I also love Sim Racing. EA F1 2002 and now F1C '99-'02 along with the MODS GT2002 and the cup racing mods. Luckily my wife and my 13 month old daugher bring me back to reality and my time on the PC now is relegated to late nights and some weekend simming. Tony

>PS: Just last night she came into my study and switched the computer >off with a huge BLAH BLAH about what time it is. I was in the middle >of a flight between London and Stuttgart when it happen. Today she's >at work and I have to explain to 122 passengers why they were stuck >in midair for the whole night - our airline can not afford this kind >of wifeism.ROTFLMAO :-xxrotflmao PS. I had a hard time deciding if I was to attend a PIC on VATSIM event or to attend my wedding reception last month. I think I made the right decision. We're still married!

Guest crashing_pilot

hi,i must mention that when i got married i already was addicted/infected with the flightsimming bug....my wife(lucky me!) understands fully what it means to me,and as a matter of fact she is totally addicted to anything with a cat printed on,painted on,macrameed on,you name it...because we both have an "addiction" (we call it "a hobby" ;-) )it's that much easier to put it in perspective,and fortunately i like our three cats too(when they do not walk over my keyboard that is)i also met friends with the same interests,and i am ever so grateful i do not have to watch all the boringt reruns of already boring shows,i just go flyin',my wife goes "cat hunting" ;-)i think we made a good good deal,and there has never been a moment where one became upset with the other over his/her hobby,infact,i'm always hunting for terra cotta cat's,while she secretly buys me PSS A320(she did!!) ....it works both ways eh?regards

Guest gooper

I too was so addicted to FS while I was laid off that at one point I was literally staying up half the night adding scenery, tweaking AI,etc,etc. it finally got to then point where one day I erased it from my hard drive and took a claw hammer to the FS2002 CD's- did this cure my addiction u ask? it lasted about a week and then when over at my friend place he had a copy of Fs2002 that he was no longer using and told me I could have it for nothing so like a good drug I am happily back to my favorite hobby and now thankfully have found full time work so my flying is kept to evenings only - can't wait till FS2004!!

Guest Fortress

Since my wife is a long-haul stewardess for BA and away from home probably more than she isn't, I get all the "free" time I like to fly for my VA without the usual 'interruptions'.....apart from that, since it's become the rule to lock the flightdeck door I haven't seen her in years! :7Cheers,Paulhttp://www.strontiumdog.plus.com/sbird.jpgOfficially licenced by British Airways plc for use of name and logo[p]AMD XP2800+ Barton, Gigabyte GA-7NNXP nForce2, 1Gig Crucial PC3200 Dual Channel DDR 400MHz, Gainward 128 MB GF4-4200, SB Audigy[/p]

HAHA Yea I lock the cockpit door myself. If anyone enters they're hauled away by the air marshalls. ;)