Sign in to follow this  
Guest jj_wolfe

Advice on system for FSX

Guest jj_wolfe

Hi all,I'd like to build a dedicated box for FSX so I can better enjoy the visual/graphic goodies that FX offers over FS9 (especially the increased ground resolution). I'm planning on using Ground Enironment X and some PMDG aircraft. I don't need every slider all the way to the right. I don't use AI traffic or 3D clouds, but I would like to use dense autogen scenery and have decent frame rates at busy airports. I'd like to stay between $500-600 for just the processor, memory, motherboard, and OS. Here's what I'm thinking of buying:Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 GHz ($159 on sale at NewEgg)4 GB DDR2 1066 memory (~$100)ASRock P43DE LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard ($68)Windows 7 Home Premium Full ($200)...I don't want the OEM version.ZEROtherm CF900 92mm CPU cooler ($32)I already have a 9600GT 512 MB Low-Power edition graphics card and a 400 power supply. I'll also need a case and DVD reader, but I don't need anything too fancy there.So what do you think of the combination of the E8400 3.0 dual-core, 4 GB memory, and 9600GT?

Guest chris493

I would recommend upgrading your graphics as a 9600GT is quite an old card now. Look at my thread because I am planning on building a system for FSX as well, but with an i7 processor instead of a dual core. Also look at maybe a quad instead of a dual core. I'm no expert but it may help your performance. In Australia you can get a Q9400 for less than the E8500.

Hi all,I'd like to build a dedicated box for FSX so I can better enjoy the visual/graphic goodies that FX offers over FS9 (especially the increased ground resolution). I'm planning on using Ground Enironment X and some PMDG aircraft. I don't need every slider all the way to the right. I don't use AI traffic or 3D clouds, but I would like to use dense autogen scenery and have decent frame rates at busy airports.
Your goal is not realistic without significant overclocking of the CPU, and a much faster graphics card. Even then you're still going to have blurry ground textures due only having 2 cores. I suggest you look at a quad core processor and at least an 8800 GT class graphics card.

Guest jj_wolfe

Thanks for the suggestions. I did some more research overnight and it definitely looks like quad-core is the way to go. I'm trying to decide between the Intel Q9550 (2.83 GHz, $240 on sale right now) and the Athlon II X4 620 (2.6 GHz, $99). The Athlon CPU/motherboard combo is much more budget-friendly. Then I can save up for a decent graphics card. The i7 920 would be good but it's way out of my price range by the time I buy a compatible motherboard and graphics card.

See signature for my recommendation. Remember that FSX is far more reliant upon a fast CPU than a fast graphics card.

Guest jj_wolfe

I've narrowed down my processor choice to the following for FSX:Athlon II X4 620 (2.6 GHz) -- $99Intel i5-750 (2.6 GHz) -- $199(I like the Intel Q9550 but it's about the same price as the i5, which is a step up...)Paired with 4 GB RAM and a decent graphics card, which processor would you recommend for FSX? I'd prefer not to overclock.

Guest chris493

i5 definitely. It's the next step up from the amd

I've narrowed down my processor choice to the following for FSX:Athlon II X4 620 (2.6 GHz) -- $99Intel i5-750 (2.6 GHz) -- $199(I like the Intel Q9550 but it's about the same price as the i5, which is a step up...)Paired with 4 GB RAM and a decent graphics card, which processor would you recommend for FSX? I'd prefer not to overclock.
i5 750 and Q9550 are approximately equal at stock clockspeeds, and also have the same level of overclockability, perhaps even favoring the Q9550. Where are you getting your CPU prices from? I recommend Microcenter for CPUs. That i5 750 is $149.

Guest chris493

Here's an almost 100% accurate way of comparing cpu's: If there is a big gap between prices, the highest is the best. The higher the price, the higher the product!

Guest jj_wolfe

I was getting my prices from NewEgg. Thanks for the heads-up on Microcenter...that's quite a bit cheaper!