Sign in to follow this  
Guest freequest

Worst FS weather you have flown through?

Guest AAF

Hey everyone, I thought this would be an interesting topic, so share your most hair-raising experiences in stormy, snowy, and otherwise detestible FS weather conditions. I just completed a flight through the worst conditions I have set for myself thus far, just to see what it would be like- and wow, what an experience it was.I started out from Culebra, an airstrip on an island of the same name, which is about 17 miles from the eastern shores of Puerto Rico. I set the weather for low lying T-storms, two layers of them. Precipitation was at the maximum, wind was 12 degrees and 40 knots with gusts to 49, and shear strength was moderate. I completed the flight in the default Cessna 182, which is IMHO a very forgiving bird.The moment I lifted of from the runway at Culebra, the wind and included shear nearly flipped my plane over. I jerked the controls to the right, and kept them there. After the plane was back to wings level (or as level as they can be in these conditions), I made a bee line for Roosevelt Roads, the closest airport on PR. The winds bounced and toyed with my plane as if it was nothing but a feather the whole way. Now, I don't normally get dizzy sitting at the flight simulator, but if I did, this would have sent me hurling chunks. So 15 miles later, I requested full stop at Roosevelt, and entered right traffic. I was more or less in line with the wind now, so keeping a straight course was a little easier on the wrists, but my plane was still being tossed around like a plaything. After being cleared, I turned on to base and final, fighting the wind the whole way. Thunder and lightning were regularly going off close to the airplane, and I couldn't wait to get on the ground. I came in on final, quite high, so I nosed down quite a bit, and choked the throttle. I was flying in to the wind, so I'd let it keep me in the air. I hovered above the runway for a few seconds, and then I settled down. I bounced three times before staying put, each bounce about 15 feet high. I'm surprised the gear didn't collapse, but as I said...the 182 seems to be very forgiving. Can anyone verify this from real life experience?Anyway, please share your hairiest flying experiences! I'm sure we'd all love to hear the stories. Oh, and I have one more little fun thing- I once put a 747 on the runway and set the winds to 200 knots, blowing head on to the plane. I put my flaps down, and pulled back on the nose. Try it, and you'll come to realize that it is quite possible to VTOL a 747 :-lol

Yep and with the new nice wind sounds from Active Camera you might feel even more hairy...:9

RobdeVries.jpg

I know Culebra and Rosey well, I was in Aguadilla for three years and had quite a few real flights in and out of there, Love that place! As far as FS I just flew the FSD Seneca from Norman Manley to Ken Jones in Jamaica, day before yesterday when Claudette was just off the shore there, in FS2004 and with the new weather engine it was fabulous! Of course the flight is only about 30 miles and you have to climb to 7000ft to safely clear the mountain then chase the terrain down to field elevation of about 100ft and land on a very short runway, all while fighting 30-40kt gusts and heavy rain and only 3 miles visibility when you are out of the clouds, quite a white knuckle ride...but boy was it fun :-)Ken

Guest teemupi

I have landed KingAir with ILS in totally overcast all the way down. I didn't even saw taxi in that condition. But best thing was, I made it online ;-)

Hello Mr. 747!I'm from the FAA and I'm here to ask some questions such as:1. Why did you even attempt to take off in your Cessna in this wicked weather????Couldn't resist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullert

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

Guest freequest

Well I dont remember the airports but a few months ago with real weather at papua new gunea* I could take off but the turbulance was always so bad I would break the plane on landing.Then i looked at the news would you beleave a tropical cyclone was in progress :) Nasty weather my round the world trip was grounded for about 1.5 months must have been other storms around as well...And just recently flying up from South america to mexeco... very low visablilty lots of storms lots of high mountains (one airport i had to try and land at 5 times weather was so bad FMC about 30nm out... kept hitting the ground :).Then i got a clear day and i found out why A freakin mountain behing the airfield :)O the joys of light GA