Sign in to follow this  
Vulcan

Installing Windows XP and FS2K2?

Guest Boone

Wondering if someone can help me answer this easy questions....When installing XP do I need to re-install Flight Simulator afterwards?Thank you,Boone

Guest Ken_Salter

I would say yes since it writes some registry entries, which you will have lost if you did a CLEAN install of XP. If you upgraded to XP from another OS (like Win98) then no you won't.When in doubt, I would backup what you have, install, then copy over.http://saltydogfly2.avsim.net/images/avsim_sig.jpg"I am the keeper of the cheese; you are the lemon merchant"

Anybody with experience in upgrading from Win98Se to XP? MS always has an upgrade but I've always heard that a clean, new install is best. Problem is XP-Home is around $100 and the upgrade is under $100.

Guest drobson

Not sure I understand your question/statement--"the upgrade is under $100". I bought the "Upgrade" version, which was $100, and upgraded from WinMe to XP home. Worked without a hitch. Everything works/runs just fine except my old scanner, (basically an antique), because the manufacturer has not created any drivers for XP.The "Upgrade" version is also the "Full" version, so if you prefer to do a clean install, all you need is the disc from your previous OS available, and away you go!Darrell

I did a clean install of XP Home Edition on partition C; FS2k2 was on partition G; to my surprise it worked perfectly and I did not need to do a re-install of FS2k2. I use the DreamFlight start-up screen program and I don't know whether that helped.NigelVancouverMy System:AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (Barton)Gigabyte GA 7VAX mobo Albatron GEForce4 Ti 4200P Turbo128MB video card (omega 43.45)512MB Samsung PC2100DDR RAMIBM 40GB 7200rpm hard driveMaxtor 20GB 7200rpm hard driveCreative Sound Blaster PCI128 with latest driversCHProducts PCI yoke and pedalsWindows XP Home Edition with SP!Three case fans - one suck, two blow

Steve - For me, the clean install has always been a better option as there is zero chance of a problem due to the upgrade. But, since the ultimate solution in the case of a major problem is a clean install anyway, many folks run the upgrade first and see how it works. If you don't hit any problem spots you're home free. There is no difference between the "upgrade" and "full" versions of XP - the OS on the CD is identical in either case. The difference is in the installer. During an clean install the installer will, at some point, ask you for proof of ownership of a prior qualifying OS. When it does, just insert your Win98SE disk and it will do a quick check and then proceed with the XP install. There is a really excellent article that goes over all this stuff here: http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm . The most troublesome spot for some folks has been driver support. Regardless of which option you go with, be sure and have all the drivers you need lined up in advance, especially for the mobo chipset. And, lastly, unless you have a craving for MS support, I'd recommend buying an OEM version as that will save a few more bucks.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest Tim W

Nigel,It will work, but you won't have any registry entries anymore for 2002. To create the entries, rename your current FS2002 directory to fs2002A, do a minimum fs2002 install to create the registry entries then delete the new fs2002 folder and rename your fs2002A back to FS2002. I had the same siuation as you did with windows on my C partition and FS2002 on F, it did work only some of the commercial addons did need reinstalling, like Dreamfleet's 737 (the a/c worked but the FMS didn't) and a few others.RegardsTim http://www.cambridgeflyingclub.com/images/timavatar2.jpg

Guest freequest

as long as you have the original disks of your old windows OS you can upgrade. just do a clean install and it will ask for them.

Guest Boone

Thanks for all your responses. I may just wait to upgrade to XP and install ACOF fresh and clean!Best Regards,Boone

Just to add to all the other replies Boone,I have just gone from Win98SE through Win2kPro (disaster) to XP and TBH I have not seen any real improvement.However a lot of new payware a/c are saying you need something later than 98SE to use them and XP can use more RAM than 98SE can.Just don't expect miracles ;-)Best of luck when you do go for it.