Sign in to follow this  
Guest fatcharlie

Sid and Star Briefings

Guest fatcharlie

Hello!I just did one of the tutorial flights from KSFO to KLAX. Great fun and thanks for a great prog.One thing - the fantastic Sid and Star briefings - will they ever be expanded to other airports than the ones in the list? or am I missing something?What was really eduactional was to follow the Star or Sid brief while looking at the chart - suddently it all made sense!Many thanks,Roger.

Hello!I just did one of the tutorial flights from KSFO to KLAX. Great fun and thanks for a great prog.One thing - the fantastic Sid and Star briefings - will they ever be expanded to other airports than the ones in the list? or am I missing something?What was really eduactional was to follow the Star or Sid brief while looking at the chart - suddently it all made sense!Many thanks,Roger.
Hello Roger,Glad to hear you like it. The version of FS2Crew you just tried is 5 years-old now. You might also want to try a newer version. They're generally much better and easier to operate.Those SID and STAR briefing are huge files. The later versions of FS2Crew have more SID/STAR/IAP recordings, but it's just not possible to record every brief in the book. There's thousands of them. You'd need a new hard drive.Best,

Guest fatcharlie

Heh! Funnily enough I just bought myself an early Chrstmas present of a 1 Terabyte external hard drive!However, I see your point.Obviously it's not possible to automate the process, since it refers to charts and the computer can't read them (or can it? I don't know)Pity - it was so educational.I wonder if it could be automated in as much as one has check-boxes and data entry boxes lke some of the other briefings? Just a thought - but probably much too complicated.

Hello Roger,Glad to hear you like it. The version of FS2Crew you just tried is 5 years-old now. You might also want to try a newer version. They're generally much better and easier to operate.Those SID and STAR briefing are huge files. The later versions of FS2Crew have more SID/STAR/IAP recordings, but it's just not possible to record every brief in the book. There's thousands of them. You'd need a new hard drive.Best,

You could semi-automate it, but would sound awful because you'd have all these sound files spliced together.As an example, record 20 different words separately, then join them together to form different sentences.You'll see what I mean in about 2 seconds.Cheers,

Guest fatcharlie

Oh yes I know exactly what you mean! When I was at Uni in the '70s, I wrote a little program to make sentences in English (I did thoeretical Linguistics as a degree subject). It worked fine, but trying to get the prog to allow for meaningful output was difficult and i ended up with sentences like "The orange girl licks the table"There is some pretty dire stuff out there at the moment as regards natural-sounding dialogue - mentioning no names, but one of the things I liked about my trial of FS2Crew was that the sound is very natural. Not being the type to give up easliy I might look more deeply into the structure of these briefs and see if there is a common denominator somewhere.I have a wonderful freeware addon called an AS738, distributed by Arnold Scheffel - skipper's voice on that sounds remarkably similar to yours! Any comments?Is there any way I can try out the voice commander version?Many thanks,Rger.

You could semi-automate it, but would sound awful because you'd have all these sound files spliced together.As an example, record 20 different words separately, then join them together to form different sentences.You'll see what I mean in about 2 seconds.Cheers,