Sign in to follow this  
JBM

AI traffic and runways

Hello all, attached is a picture of CYSJ. As you can see, there are two runways, 5-23 and 32-14. The default runway used is 5. If the wind changes to 220, runway 23 is used without problem. However, is the wind is 310 and runway 32 is assigned, the aircrafts will just disappear from the gate. Any explanation on why this is? Also, I was wondering is someone had an easy step by step instruction guide on how to make ALL RUNWAYS open to landing and take off. As you can see in the picture, runway 5 is the less convenient runway.

5/23 has ILS which FS AI prefer in landing.14/32 is too short for jet airliners but OK for Jazz's dash-8s up to the -300 if they are in your AI plan:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardier_Da...#SpecificationsList the AI residing at St. John's.What scenery are you using? Are you using any traffic program?Get AFCAD version 2.21 from the FS2004 utilties library here. You can use it to:1. identify AI codes at parking locations2. check taxi paths to/from runways and around gates by using its fault finder to see if any paths are broken3. check runway properties to see if your scenery has 14/32 open or closed for take-off and or arrival.If you want to make both pairs active at the same time you need to implement the crosswind ("star") runway technique with AFCAD. It is not too simple as described a bit by jvile in this thread and it has its limits:http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtop...rosswind+runwayThis airport with 14/32 in my opinion is not a good candidate for this technique due to the short 5100 foot 14/32. If the crosswind is significant on 5/23, then the ai jetliners will not use it. Try closing 14/32 with AFCAD to see if the jets will accept 5/23 as the only runway.There are tailwind limits that ai will accept, about six knots in most cases. Just as a check observe the airport with no winds and see if the ai use 23 for take-off as ai will go to the nearest threshold if winds permit.There is a freeware editor with a bit of a learning curve that implements an automatic setup of the pseudo runways needed to activate non-parallel runways simultaneously. It is ADE9X and is available here:http://www.scruffyduck.org.uk/filemanager/...304fcd407944baaGet the current version and the tutorials if you want to really dig in. However. first search the scenery libraries to see if an AFCAD that matches your scenery exists with the crosswind technique.

Thanks for the reply Ronzie, I'm going to awnser you questions/suggestions in blocks.1. The Aircraft I'm refering too is actually the Dash8-300, so its not working on 32.2. I'm using the CanUk Scenery by Adam Bentley and the WOAi flight plans3. The Runways 32-14 are open for takeoff and landing. One problem I did find was that the center line was designatedas a taxi line rather then runway 14-32. I have a feeling that this is the problem. But 14-32 is also taxiway C, is there away in AFCAD to have a runway as a taxiway?4. Would there be a step by step with pictures on how to do the star technique?5. The link for ADE9X isn't working...Thanks again!

go here first:http://www.airportdesigneditor.co.uk/Downloads.htmlalso:http://www.scruffyduck.org.uk/filemanager/...rrent%20VersionIf the version is not 145.06 that you download get the upgrade.These links do work for me. If you get a log in screen log in as guest.A tutorial is posted on this thread:http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthrea...highlight=AFCADIf you need to register there it is free.Unless the scenery author intended for 14/32 to be a taxiway only, highlight the taxi links (center lines) in there and double click each. Change the property to a runway. You will also need if there are not any hold short points and starting points. See the AFCAD help me.The AVSIM scenery for that airport by those authors was lost (if you try to download it is missing) but I found one by the same authors on flightsim.com (search under ALL Files) , downloaded it, and installed the afcad in a special folder I have for testing. I looked at it with AFCAD. The center line for 14/32 in that one is a runway, not a taxiway. Taxiway C is connecting to it. To check this out, bring it up in AFCAD, in the menu choose lists, then taxi designators. Click on C and in the diagram it turns yellow. I am attaching what I see here. In this afcad the runway centerlline is black indicating it is both a runway center line and taxiway.One caution. Never edit a file with a AEX or other type other than AF2 in the name as AFCAD will corrupt those. It would be better just to use that part of ADE9X if you are unsure. Just getting it loaded might require loading a base file (if not default) and then the taxi-runway-parking property file (called usually an AFD file).

There is also a step by step (with picture) crosswind technique tutorial on the ADE download center in the tutorial - airport design section.Use 3green's link above to get it.

One reason planes disappear from the gate is if there is not a valid taxiway path from that parking spot to that runway. Another is that the runway is missing the black runway line down the middle.Hope this helps,