Sign in to follow this  
solentflyer

J41 capturing incorrect ILS in tutorial flight

I have been following the tutorial, but am finding that the J41 captures the ILS for runway 19L (I-SGC) at KIAD rather than the ILS for runway 01R (I-IAD). This is in spite of setting the course to 011 when it appears in magenta on pressing the V/L button.I have approached from the South and the North as I read elsewhere that, for runways that share the same ILS frequency, FSX will tune the ILS in the direction you're currently flying when you tune the ILS, but the result is the same i.e. it tunes the wrong ILS. HAs anybody else managed to tune the correct ILS for the tutorial? If so, what steps did you follow to achieve this?Thanks,DennisCore i7 940 2.93GHz ASUS P6 Deluxe | 12Gb DDR3 RAM | nVidia GeForce GTX 280 1024Mb | Windows 7 Ultimate x64

I've encoutered this too, if you are landing North don't set the LOC freq until you are South of the approach end. I think MSFS sets the LOC based on your position relative to the runway rather than the direction you are flying. There's little any add-on aircraft can do about this behavior.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks for the prompt reply Dan.I've tried setting the LOC when south of the approach (infact as an experiment I've taken off from an airport south of KIAD so that it's permanently south of the approach) but still the J41 insists on tuning the I-SGC localizer for runway 19L rather than I-IAD for runway 01R.I believe this may be a bug in the J41 software, which is a shame as otherwise I've been extremely impressed with the aircraft, particularly in light of the fact it's one of PMDG's 'lite' versions.On reflection, maybe it's just unfortunate that KIAD was chosen for a tutorial as it shares frequencies for all of it's runways, otherwise this problem may never have come to light.

I don't think it's the add-on. If you look at the AFCAD for KIAD, they probably have backcourse turned on for all these opposite direction localizers but they shouldn't be. Just something that MSFS seem to do wrong at most places.

Dan Downs KCRP

Yes, I opened the KIAD airport in Airport Design Editor and the backcourse approaches were indeed turned on. I turned them all off, and saved the compiled airport in the Addon Scenery folder, but unfortunately it made no difference as the aircraft is still tuning the I-SGC ILS approach. Thanks for your comments though Dan, it probably does have more to do with the idiosyncrasies of FSX rather than a problem with the aircraft. Perhaps the developers could confirm this when they have a moment?

At last, I have now tracked down the cause of this issue. It was being caused by a problem with the AFX_KIAD.bgl file supplied with the Traffic X add-on by Just Flight. Renaming this file to .bak resolved the issue.I have now raised this problem with Just Flight as it seems to affect a number of airports where they have supplied a corresponding .bgl file.Sincere apologies to PMDG for suggesting in an earlier post that this may have been an issue with the J41...I should have known better.Kind regards,Dennis