Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

Solid State Drive and FSX

Folks,I have search the forum and cannot come up with much on SSDD and FSX. I am planning to update my system to Windows 7 over the holidays and in the process update my HDD. The plan is to use a Gskill Falcon II 128G for the OS and FSX and Seagate 1.5T for all other stuff. Has anyone compared the benifits of running FSX + addons on a SSDD rather than a HDD?Thanks for any advice.Andrew

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Guest chris493

The only benifits you will get from a SSD in FSX is faster startup and flight loading screen times. Performance wise, you probably will only see a very slight increase. If I was you, I would stick with a 7200RPM or 10000RPM HD and save yourself the money.

I second Chris's reply, but with a caveat... SSD's will certainly improve flightsim's loading time, but it will do little to improve the simulator's overall performance. In an of itself, using a SSD for FSX alone doesn't pass my personal price vs. performance return on investment... your mileage may vary, though! I see you plan on using this drive as a primary system drive - this will bring these same loading benefits to all your other programs too, which is a good thing! If you were dedicating the drive only to FSX, I'd have to recommend against it. Since you're planning on using it as a system drive AND simulator drive, the benefits will extend well beyond gaming, and may make it a worthwhile purchase. The only drawback I see with the plan is that the 128GB drive may not be entirely spacious enough for your desires - consider your space needs carefully, especially if you use FSX addons like higher resolution mesh scenery.

Folks,I have search the forum and cannot come up with much on SSDD and FSX. I am planning to update my system to Windows 7 over the holidays and in the process update my HDD. The plan is to use a Gskill Falcon II 128G for the OS and FSX and Seagate 1.5T for all other stuff. Has anyone compared the benifits of running FSX + addons on a SSDD rather than a HDD?Thanks for any advice.Andrew
I was using two Raptor, the old 150Gb for my OS and the Velo 300Gb for FSX and FS9 and running with Windows7/64Recently I bought a Corsair 128Gb extreme SSD and tried it with FSX and FS9 snf it was only givin a marginal gain BUT using it for the OS was like having a new computer. That really rocks...However, spending that amount of money for a FSsim drive compared to a Veloraptor is overkill.My advice, do the SSD upgrade for your OS and put FSX on a Raptor...

Guest chris493

The only problem with that option is that the combination of a ssd and raptor can be very expensive depending on where you live!

The only problem with that option is that the combination of a ssd and raptor can be very expensive depending on where you live!
I think when you put in the SSD for the OS and another mainstream fast dedicated HD for FS you also get good results. Bottomline, The SSD upgrade for the OS was giving me a totally new speed experience in Windows 7...Just my 2 cents

Guest chris493

That's a fair point but many people have tight budgets, spent too much on other components etc, and we need to think about the value of the product compared to it's performance.

I can only speak from experience, buit if you compare the specs of the two computers in my sig, you will see that my new main rig uses SSD's for the OS and for FSX plus scenery like tileproxy and meshes. My experience is that the new PC loads scenery and textures much faster than the old, probably 50% at least. Not least because its all on the same drive, with no moving parts.My old rig has raptors and they are on a controller card as well, so pretty much the optimum set up without going to SSD, but the SSD set up on the new PC walks all over them. I have not measured this scientifically of course, I can just see the difference on screen, so it is subjective. The crucial drives and OCZ drives can also use the wiper trim software, which is de frag for SSD, which other drives cannot, so go for one of those makes. If you can afford the outlay, I really think you will be massively impressed with performance.cheers, Mark