Sign in to follow this  
Guest s0436

Problem with default autopilot

Guest s0436

I've been using FSX for yonks, but I've been away from it for a few months, came back to it today and the autopilot for the *default* a/c will not work properly eg. 738. I put the master a/p switch on and alt set, heading sel OFF, the aircraft will not turn. But when I disengage A/p master it turns freely again. I've tried with and without joysticks.Is there somewhere I can see if the wrong options have been selected in a menu?

On most prop aircraft, just the AP comes on. On most jets when you turn on the AP the HDG Hold also engages. I have the B button onn my X52 Pro turn on the AP, Shift+B turn on APP Mode. My C button turns on ALT Hold and Shift+C turns on HDG Hold. When I turn on AP I usually know which aircraft I have to press Shift+C twice to have just the AP on.Dave

Guest napamule

s0436,Check the (Autopilot) section in config and see it has these lines. If it don't you can add them (copy / paste from here) to the end of the section. Do 'SAVE' (not 'Save AS'). Go see if it works. You can then manually turn it while in autopilot, but only a few degrees. Yaw damping tends to make it want to 'whip' back to original heading. If you use the keyboard keys 'Ins' and 'Enter' you can add 'Rudder (yaw)' and do some turning (with some roll, of course). Use of joy twist (rudder) will also work, but only if you add opposite aerlion (twist CCW, plus push stick RIGHT AND UP, for opposite aerlion) for left turning). I doubt if this is 'real' but I do it when tweaking air files to see if there is too much yaw damping (or not enough). I can spend all day tweaking one air file (make backup, plus incremental saves (*1.air, *2.air, etc) until the cows come home. Then quit and go eat and watch TV then sack out (around 3 am after 'Poker After Dark (NBC))-hehe). Below are the lines:use_no_default_pitch=1use_no_default_bank=1default_pitch_mode=0default_bank_mode=0Chuck BNapamule

Guest s0436

I just want to be able to fly the plane on A/P for speed/alt but able to turn it left/right myself.Thanks, I'll check my config now.

I just want to be able to fly the plane on A/P for speed/alt but able to turn it left/right myself.Thanks, I'll check my config now.
Put it in heading mode and use the heading bug to turn.

Guest napamule

Absolutely use the Hdg feature of AP for turning. But for hand flying (and maybe even doing a roll) you can't use Hdg feature. I suspect my friend is trying to make the Airbus do a roll, and since it's 'fly by wire' (but can be switched off) he is unable to do this (being there done that). But other aircraft will benefit from the 'use no...' entry to cfg. What you use it for is another matter. But that is up to you and how you (hand) fly, or in case you have a aircraft with bad dynamics? It's all good and a learning process.Chuck BNapamule