Sign in to follow this  
Guest tgabriel

Learn/hone navigational skills before FS2004 -- LONG!!!

Guest cloudtops

I would like to encourage the participants in this forum to learn how to pilot and navigate effectively and efficiently and sharpen their already acquired skills in the two weeks before FS2004 hits the shelves.New to FS as of FS98 and to AVSIM in November '02, I am an avid browser of the library and this forum and will continue to frequent them, but I have weeded through my hangar and am only allowing a select, elite remnant that I wish to learn to fly well. I have done this in the past, only to yet again fall prey to the calling of the delightful, alluring library. In the next two weeks, though, I'm focusing on learning anew to fly aircraft by the numbers and as best I can by the book. The FS lessons are OK, but I've found that undertaking a serious study of aviation practices and procedures through other resources is quite rewarding (e.g., websites, owner's manuals, aviation magazines, aviation reference books, flight school texts, certification study helps, conversations with RW pilots, etc.).When I saw in the forums shortly after FS2004 went gold that it will allow simpilots to fly published procedures, I about went bonkers. My thought process was somewhat along these lines..._____{What?! FS2004 ATC will allow if not recognize published procedures?! That's the greatest!!!!!}:-jumpy< 10 seconds pass >{Um, I know what published procedures are, right?}< 3 seconds >{Yep, I sure do.}:D< 4 seconds tick away, and brain awakes from FS2004-hype mode >{Not to be quarrelsome, but do you have a real clue how to fly these if you want to or must?}< 2 seconds >:-roll{That's what I thought. Let's get to it.} :-outta_____It's not that the library has nothing of value in it or is at a lull, but I simply find nothing there right now that interests me more than learning to do what real pilots must learn to pilot their aircraft well. They're not checked out on 58 aircraft at once, and neither can I be. I want to fly one or two extremely well-done planes with not just a modicum of proficiency before I move on to others. I've collected hundreds of aircraft to fly them once, fascinated and excited by the rush of a new model or panel or effect or soundset or... you get the picture. I've picked my essential favorites. I encourage you to select yours.I'm investing the next two weeks (the calm before the storm) to be a better virtual pilot. Not just a better yoke-rudder-throttle mover, but also a more informed, calculating decision-maker of a virtual pilot. If I can easily modify the loading of my airplane in FS2004, then I'm learning more about arms, weights, moments, and fuel transfers. If I can fly published procedures in this next version, I'll know how, when, and why to. I'll give regard to my limits as a pilot when it comes to weather, workload, etc. like the real flyers do. I'll investigate my crashes and see what I could/should have done differently and could/should have even seen ahead of time to avert the crash (or the danger of a crash, if possible).As have others not too long ago, I'd like to encourage each of you (we can all improve) to become better virtual pilots now.Best regards,KevinBTW, the storm to which I refer is the day I purchase FS2004 and storm through the menus and skies with reckless abandon and patent disregard for the conventions of reason, much less the raised eyebrows of the governing aviation bodies worldwide. Skilled pilotage is both fun and satisfying, but sometimes you just gotta rip 'er wide open and have some fun!!!EDIT: Grammar

I like that idea, Kevin. I wish I had enough time to look at navigation in the next several weeks. I have never bothered to learn how to fly using VOR's, ADF's and so on. I understand the lessons in FS2004 are great. Maybe when things slow down in the next month or two, I can finally get to learning proper navigation.Tony

Got any links for tutorials on basic non-precision approaches that we could all benefit from?Thanks!sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Guest cloudtops

Oh, sorry about that. Got in such a typing fury I forgot to post any of those.NAVIGATION TUTORIALS:http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/ (My favorite)http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/pubfiles/af...man11-217v1.pdfNAVIGATION DATA:http://www.airnav.com/http://www.clearanceunlimited.com/main.htmhttp://www.myairplane.com/databases/approach/index.phphttp://164.214.2.62/products/digitalaero/index.htmlhttp://www.naco.faa.gov/ap_diagrams.aspAND JUST AN ALL-AROUND USEFUL TUTORIAL AND LINK SITE:http://www.tooby.demon.co.uk/FS2002/FS2002_Assistant.htmlThere ya go. That should keep you good folks busy for a while. It sure has me.Kevin

Thanks, Kevin! That 300 pg Air Force reference manual ought to make a dent in the toner cartridge!Best,sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Hi Kevin,When Geofa started talking about all the non precision approaches in FS2004 my first thought was "NDB approach? I USED to know how to do that.."Yep, it's time I went back to classroom. BTW, AVSIM has its own school called the AVSIM Educational Resources (AER) run by several forum members regulars. You will find the link at the very top of this page called "The AER".- Kenny B

Guest cloudtops

Kenny,I just spent a few minutes dashing about the AER you mentioned. I'm kind of ashamed to admit I'd not seen it until your pointer, but I thank you for doing so and thank AVSIM as well for providing such a valuable tool for me and many others. Volcanic Ash Warning?! What a cool site...Kevin

Guest freequest

I used to be a seat of the pants flyer with the FSNAV in docking mode... but then i decided one day to do the Pilot training in Fs and wonders apon wonders i liked navigating with vor, ADF and the rest.Its all i use now i havent touched FSnav at all i just use the flight planer and fly manual all the way setting up the trims and whatever.Though i love the dreamfleet archer i prefer the cessna 177 for the simple reson I can trim that out very easy :)My 2c

Guest tgabriel

I was very glad to see you list Charles Woods' tutorial first and that it is your favorite. He has an absolutely excellent site and tutorial for learning about navigation from the most novice level all the way up to the most difficult precision approaches. The 182 trainer is also a very good aircraft.I am working my way through those lessons and every one is a pure joy to fly. His commentary with the imaginary passenger Benjamin Counter :-lol is a hoot too.To anyone reading these lines: if you want a relatively painless way to learn navigation - do these tutorials from Charles Woods. Then for a lot - and I mean A LOT of fun, join the DC 3 Virtual Airways.