Sign in to follow this  
clayton4115

More FS2004 questions to those that have it

Guest bernse

I am amongst the many that are eagerly awaiting COF. I have a few questions I would be curious to know the answer of before hand though:Has the night viewing distance been improved? It has been in the past that you would have to be within 17 miles (or so) to even see the runway lights at an airport even on 100% vis. Has it been lengthened out to a more realistic, say, 25 or even 30 miles?Do you have the default fictional airlines or can you change it to real world ones?Are the AI flights editable?With regards to the weather, I know there has been some explaination on this but I would like some clarification. Lets say your default airport has partly cloudy skies, but a weather station 40 miles away is reporting thunderstorms. Will you be able to see the thunderheads that are 40 miles away from your location, or is it all partly cloudy for as far as you can see?I'll probably think of more questions as time goes on, but thanks! :)EricOne more! Well ATC take into account natural obsticals with the approaches? Or will you still be vectored straight into a mountain on descent?As well, will ATC give you airspeeds?

I can only "help" you with the question about seeing runway lights from a distance I'm afraid. I hope they have NOT increased the visual range. In many night trips, it was rare for me to be able to see runway lights from more than 10 to 15 miles out depending on vis, atmospheric conditions and where the airport was situated in relation to a city. Runway lights are supposed to be dim because otherwise they will blind you when you get close to them. What you CAN see from a further distance though, is the airport's rotating beacon (RW now), which apparently they have modelled quite nicely in ACoF.Hope that "sheds some light" on the subject (pun intended, sorry :-) )GlennPS - the going joke among us night flight guys when coming into an airport in a big city was just look for the black hole and that's probably the airport.... probably :-)(edit added the PS)

Has it been lengthened out to a more realistic, say, 25 or even 30 miles? I don't have FS2004 but I can say from real world experience that when flying into major metro areas you certainly don't see runway lights 25-30 miles out. Phoenix Sky Harbor sits amongst quite a few city lights and you're lucky if you can make out any runway lights at all closer than 6-8 miles out. Due to terrain and other lighting the same holds true of many other metro areas. I've always been of the opinion that the runways in FS are too EASY to spot at night due to unrealistic levels of lighting. M. CollierDispatcher/SOCAmerica West Airlines

Guest bernse

I guess with regards to the night lighting, I am comparing it to more rural airports. When I've flown to mine at night (CYQU) I've seen them from 25+ miles on clear nights.Fair enough responses though, thanks!How about the rest of the questions?

well i was talking to someone who has the gold (legit) on messenger, he told me not to reveal his identity and he made these observations.He took a flight in th default 737 from KSEA to KSFO using standard flight planning tools from fs2004 and he told me that,1/ He could fly the whole plane in VC mode, also now there are radios which are clickable in them, (you dont need to go to 2D mode) ATIS NAV etc etc is programmable from VC).2/ The ATC still needs to improve has he said he was handed off numerous times enroute - i am not sure if this is correct procedures.3/ He did a evening flight and once it got dark, he could not see any of the flight instruments or the MCP properly as the night lighting is very little or non existant.4/ On arrival to KSFO he was told runway 28R was in use, he asked for 28L which was granted, but then he was told to switch to TWR freq 23 NM from the airport! 5/ The glidescope captures beautifully again in FS2004, just like FS2002, so no dipping when the GS captures.6/ The auto gen scenery is much improved so is the weather and clouds.7/ I asked him about AI traffic he said he he hadnt put in any add on AI traffic as yet.8/ Overall he said he is quite impressed with it, and obviously with add on and developers coming into improve the game it should be a winner (especially now with full VC interaction).

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram