Sign in to follow this  
PhilH

Is it possible to change the processor without scrapping the rest

Hello, I've got a pretty week processor, I won't get into the details here because it isn't really important.. Im on a Pentium 4, running FS9 great with default stuff but crappy with PMDG and Flytampa :(Just wandering, is it possible to upgrade to something like an i7 (I think that's what they're called) without changing the RAM / video card etc..? Probably not, but just in case I'm asking.Thanks,

Short answer, no.Going from a P4, you'll need to upgrade your motherboard to get atleast the newer dual cores in, and even then the i7 uses a completely different motherboard then the dual cores. Any newer motherboard will have a PCIe slot for your video card instead of the AGP (what you have). Memory is also an issue, as is the PSU, as youll probably need a larger one. Your harddrive will probably need an upgrade too (although not required) as its probably very slow compared to the newer ones, but you'll be surprised how cheap those are now a days.The good news is you can probably keep your CD drive! :(After all that, you can get a complete system to run fs9 very well for around 500-600, esp if you are willing to put it together.

Short answer, no.Going from a P4, you'll need to upgrade your motherboard to get atleast the newer dual cores in, and even then the i7 uses a completely different motherboard then the dual cores. Any newer motherboard will have a PCIe slot for your video card instead of the AGP (what you have). Memory is also an issue, as is the PSU, as youll probably need a larger one. Your harddrive will probably need an upgrade too (although not required) as its probably very slow compared to the newer ones, but you'll be surprised how cheap those are now a days.The good news is you can probably keep your CD drive! :(
Hah well, that's what I thought!
After all that, you can get a complete system to run fs9 very well for around 500-600, esp if you are willing to put it together.
That would probably be doable in a bit. We're not in the best financial situation right now, especially saving for the PPL here in Canada, but if I ever do upgrade I would surely build it myself and be fine with FS9.Thanks for your answer!EDIT: no need for an i7, a core 2 duo would probably do fine

EDIT: no need for an i7, a core 2 duo would probably do fine
Sure would! By the way, good luck with the PPL, hope to get mine in a couple more years.

Sure would! By the way, good luck with the PPL, hope to get mine in a couple more years.
Thanks! Good luck to you too.I'm 15 now, but I'm going to do a career in aviation. What about you?

Thanks! Good luck to you too.I'm 15 now, but I'm going to do a career in aviation. What about you?
I'm 21 and a pharmacy student in the states. Hoping my career will be enough to fund my piloting hobby :( Gave up on the aviation career idea for more money :(

I'm 21 and a pharmacy student in the states. Hoping my career will be enough to fund my piloting hobby :( Gave up on the aviation career idea for more money :(
Ah I see. Yeah aviation isn't the best place for money I have learned over the past few years.. but at least you'll still be able to fly!

Guest chris493

That's strange considering that a pilot is the 3rd highest average payed job behind doctor and lawyer!

That's strange considering that a pilot is the 3rd highest average payed job behind doctor and lawyer!
I thought those were pretty old stats. I have 'interviewed' many pilots/instructors around the area over the past few months since I am really going to start all of this soon, and I got told by all of them that becoming a pilot for a high pay is a bad idea. I think the days of flying for money are pretty much over.

Guest chris493

Very wierd, because my uncle flies for qantas long haul and earns $250,000AUD + per year!EDIT: After some research, I have concluded that an airline pilot is the 4th highest payed job in the USA earning an average of $145,000USD, with the lowest being around $100,000USD and the highest being $210,000USD. These are stats from the 2008/2009 Bureau of Labour statistics.

And do you know how long it takes to reach that level of pay? 20+ years, usually.Entry-level airline pilots earn ~$20k per year. You can make that much money at McDonald's.

And do you know how long it takes to reach that level of pay? 20+ years, usually.Entry-level airline pilots earn ~$20k per year. You can make that much money at McDonald's.
Ah, that's it. I knew I had forgotten something.. so you can get payed a lot as a pilot but it's based on seniority I think/

Guest chris493

Wow that truly is $&*%!!! I was expecting it to be alot higher (50-80)!!

Wow that truly is $&*%!!! I was expecting it to be alot higher (50-80)!!
Depends where you are and what airline you fly for...I can assure you that you'll have that level of pay at the start of your career at the major European airlines (they're in less crisis than the US carriers).

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

Guest chris493

So in Europe $50,000 for starters, but $20,000 in USA because of recession? What about Australia? (Qantas)