Sign in to follow this  
Guest ceo1944

FSX and Nhancer

Guest ceo1944

For a long while I've had my FSX tweak obsession under control, but in the last few days it's busted out and I've been tweaking again. It all started when I learned about Nhancer. Plus I wanted to eliminate a problem I had with windowed mode where performance was utterly unacceptable -- long pauses of several seconds several times a minute where the entire computer would freeze and then unlock.I installed the very latest drivers and the very latest Nhancer, deleted and rebuilt my fsx.cfg file and started from scratch using Nick N's guide.The results have been great ... FSX looks better, the windowed mode problem is gone, and performance is slightly better.BUT...Now I have new problems. Two anomalities that now make it unacceptable to run in full screen mode with Nhancer.First - with Nhancer in control I cannot use any FSX dialog. Whenever I try any menu selection that leads to a dialog FSX seems to freeze. I can unfreeze it by ALT-ESC which returns control to the desktop then clicking on FSX on the taskbar and pressing ALT-ENTER which brings it back up in windowed mode - and then the dialog is visible and usable! Remove Nhancer and this problem goes away -- but FSX doesn't look as sharp without it.Second - with or without Nhancer I take a big performance hit (both the FPS counter and the feel) when I switch to screen mode! For example: with clear weather at KSEA in the default 737-800 I get about 30-35 FPS in windowed mode but this drops to a barely livable 15-20 FPS when I switch to full screen. This isn't just the counter either; taxiing is jerky and slow in full screen mode but smooth as silk in windowed mode with everything else the same!I'll note that I have a two-monitor setup and both are used in full screen mode, but I get the exact same hit whether I have anything actually up on the 2nd monitor or if it's blank.Anyone have any ideas or suggestions or aha! moments?Thanks!Dutch

Guest nhraracer90

When I had Nhancer installed, I had nothing but problems with my FSX and it really drew my FPS down. I uninstalled it.

Guest ceo1944

Thanks, that's a good link to try. I'm encouraged by the weirdness with the full screen FPS drop -- if that can be solved it should go up over the windowed mode and that will be just dandy!Dutch

You do not need NHANCER running for its profiles to work. Once the profile has being changed it is saved in registry, so you cna stop NHANCER from running at startup. All it does is alter the NVIDIA profiles. No need to uninstall.

Guest ceo1944

I've spent too much time on this but I've learned quite a bit. nHancer is not the problem. For anyone interested here's the answers.The common denominator involved in both problems is my 2nd screen. I have two 1280x1024 monitors on which I run my XP desktop. When I de-activate the 2nd monitor in windows display settings both problems disappear -- the FPS in full-screen is higher than windowed and the dialogs work fine with nHancer.Activate the 2nd monitor and FSX works fine in windowed mode but switch to full screen both problems are back --- FPS is cut in half in full-screen mode even if there are no graphics at all on the 2nd monitor. Further, the FSX dialogs won't appear with any AA setting above 2X in full-screen mode with a 2nd monitor in the configuration. This is why it appeared that Nhancer was the problem -- I had it set AA to 8X. When I throttled it back to 2x multi-sampling the dialogs work okay -- but FSX looks jaggy & ugly compared to the crisp look of 4X-8X AA.So that leaves me with a nasty choice -- sacrifice either the 2nd screen or FPS or AA quality.Best would be having the two monitors included on the Windows desktop but NOT have FSX see the 2nd monitor in full screen mode. I don't know how to do this (although that's the way it works in FS9.) Simply deleting the monitor configuration lines for the 2nd monitor from FSX.cfg doesn't work -- it sees the 2nd screen anyway and puts them back in!The next best choice is probably windowed mode, which is sort of a compromise of giving up a little of all three. Anyway, answers to the mysteries.DutchSummary info: I am running an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Code 6000+ CPU with 2G memory; Nvidia 9600GT with 512MB; drivers version 195.62; nHancer ver 2.5.7; my basic fullscreen FPS is about 25-40 depending on traffic and the airplane I'm in. FPS drops to 15 with a 2nd screen attached. FSX dialogs do not work with a 2nd screen attached on any AA setting above 2X.