Sign in to follow this  
russellj

To PIC767 lovers: Does the SSW A310 panel measure up?

I know SSW is having "teething" problems and that there are some bugs that need fixed. Assuming the bugs are patched, does the panel measure up to the PIC767 panel? Does it come close? I would love to hear your initial impressions.

Guest bigun

It MAY end up being a good panel, but I don't believe it will ever be up to the level of the PIC. Problem seems to be that the developers appear to be "in over their head". Using some very strange tactics to try and keep customers satisfied. I velieve the real "sleeper" out there right now is the PMDG 737NG. It's pretty amazing stuff right now and a patch will be out shortly to address some bugs. The big thing is these guys at PMDG are very much customer oriented and definatley have a track record of great add-ons from the Fly! days.I have both packages so that's my two cents:)George Stoddard

I too have both ssw a310 and PMDG, and played around with pic, so here are my two euro cent.Right now in it's current state SSW PANEL is as good as PIC767, not to say better wich I think it is, the sound are on par and FMC is more functional. The flight model needs some tuneup, but it's not bad, and actualy feels good if we are gentle. It STILL doesn't model failures, but acording to the developers will have them in an near future, and the manuals are AMAZING and HUGE, besides, it features an extremely good, one of the best around, definitly top 3 VC,and the visual model is sub par by today TOP standarts. Regarding PMDG, again in it's current state, the panel doesn't come close, there are errors in system implementation, it looks cartoonish, the faillures dont't work, and it has some severe bugs, sounds are OK and FMC again has problems, on a positive note, the flight model is TOP WORK ABSOLUTLY AMAZING much better than PIC or SSW, VC is nearly as good as SSW,and features a VERY VERY GOOD cabin, and the visual model is stunning. Regarding support nothing comes close to PMDG (funny, but PMDG manuals are not as good as SSW given the name ;) ). What makes me keep PMDG737 is the HUGE potencial of the project, featuring in the future some first's in FS, it will grow and in a long run will be a strong contender to the throne, but not right now and I belive that not even with the patch. SSW is closer to leadership and some corrections will make him a likely king.Santos(LPAV)

Guest Tim

HiI am really enjoying the SSW A310. The 2D panel/VC is one of the best or in fact THE best I've seen. The FMC is good too. Apart from the IRS prob and a few other minors at the moment which are being sorted, it is very good!Tim

Guest jeffg

I have all 3 panels and the PIC is the best so far that I can see.I have been playing around past 2 days with the A310 but still can't get the ins to work.The left one is on the middle never does and the right just blinks.SSW needs to have a tutorial on flying the aircraft, the manuals are great but they are real A310 manuals,nothing tells you where anything is its all hunt and find.The PIC panel looks more real than the A310,I flew a 767-200 full motion simulator at United summer of 2001 and that panel is right on.I have the 737 but till they get the virtual memory leak fixed mine locks up FS2002 every time I use the fmc.I have placed both panels on hold till patches are done.I think both will turn out to be great panals but SSW need to get better customer service or it will lose alot of simmers. JeffG

I have all three aircraft and I agree that both the SSW and the PMDG will be better then the PIC once the initail bugs are sorted. However it is still early days to make a real comparison. There are bugs in both and there is still the leaning curve to get over.However, IMHO, the big PIC "killer" is the Ready for Pushback 747-200 with the Delco INS gauges installed.RegardsRussell Jourdain (NZL007/ZK-RHJ)