Sign in to follow this  
Guest hostige

How will FSX run on my PC?

Guest hostige

Hi there, this is my first post :)I'm about to get a new computer soon, and the specs will be the following;AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black EditionAti Radeon HD4770 (or possibly HD5770)4GB DDR3 1600MHz RAMWindows 7 64-bitSo, will it run on medium, high, or very high settings?Thanks :)

Guest CryogenicPilot
Hi there, this is my first post :)I'm about to get a new computer soon, and the specs will be the following;AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black EditionAti Radeon HD4770 (or possibly HD5770)4GB DDR3 1600MHz RAMWindows 7 64-bitSo, will it run on medium, high, or very high settings?Thanks :)
Your main benefit will be if you can over clock that processor as far as it will go. You will want to try and be in the upper 3.5, 3.6 GHz range, or more. The reason is MSFS is unlike most other games. It is a CPU-bound game that has to process a lot more calculations than other games. Most other games also don't have to simulate the amount of things FSX does simultaneously, either. Hence, why having a faster (fastest) processor is a must for MSFS in general, but especially for FSX given its shaky design. However, be aware that over clocking your processor is not something you should take lightly. Do as much research as possible and buy the necessary after-market parts that make over clocking safe for your hardware e.g. a third-party CPU cooler; liquid cooling system, more case fans, RAM heatsinks, etc. Then, go slowly. Step by step, making small adjustments and not giant leaps trying to go straight to 4.0 GHz from stock speeds, for example.

Guest hostige

Thanks for the answers. I think I'll go with the X4 965, Noctua cooler and clock it to 3,6GHz-4,0GHz. How big of a difference does the GPU make then? HD4770 should do fine?

Guest CryogenicPilot
Thanks for the answers. I think I'll go with the X4 965, Noctua cooler and clock it to 3,6GHz-4,0GHz. How big of a difference does the GPU make then? HD4770 should do fine?
You still want a high-end GPU. Especially if you plan on playing at high resolutions with AA and AF enabled.The 4770 should run FSX, well. It is a 128-bit (vs. 256) card, but the increased clock speeds more than make up for that... So, coupled with a good O/C on your CPU, it should compliment it well.

Guest hostige
You still want a high-end GPU. Especially if you plan on playing at high resolutions with AA and AF enabled.The 4770 should run FSX, well. It is a 128-bit (vs. 256) card, but the increased clock speeds more than make up for that... So, coupled with a good O/C on your CPU, it should compliment it well.
Alright. I think I'll start off with the 4770, and later get maybe something from the 58xx-series and an upcoming AMD 6-core "Thuban" CPU. Thanks :)

Alright. I think I'll start off with the 4770, and later get maybe something from the 58xx-series and an upcoming AMD 6-core "Thuban" CPU. Thanks :)
You sound like an AMD guy, but also consider the Intel i7-920, too. It's less than $300 bucks, and clocks to 4 gig+ in about 10 minutes, with numerous forums, particularly this one:- http://forums.pureoverclock.com/showthread.php?t=5736. It has a 4gig Intel club!

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest hostige
You sound like an AMD guy, but also consider the Intel i7-920, too. It's less than $300 bucks, and clocks to 4 gig+ in about 10 minutes, with numerous forums, particularly this one:- http://forums.pureoverclock.com/showthread.php?t=5736. It has a 4gig Intel club!
I would take an Intel over an AMD any day, but it doesn't fit in my budget :(It would also need a much more expensive motherboard, and the i7 920 costs 260 euros = 370 dollars in Finland. So I think I'll go with the AMD this time, since it fits my students budget better.