Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

FSUIPC Version 3, FS2004 & Older Freeware

Guest ChrisE

Can someone please reassure me?I have a small but expanding FS2002 freeware collection that I am hoping will work in FS2004 and what I have read so far suggests that it might BUT:1. Does the FSUIPC Version 3 announcement and the new "keys" mean that a key will be required for all existing freeware if it is to be run in FS2004? Even if free I can't see them being obtained by the authors for all existing files. The same applies to now unsupported payware I guess.2. Other than by trial & error can I tell in the AVSim library which files will meet the FS2004 compatability tests? If not is there any intention to make it obvious? I ask this as the way that FS stores files makes it very difficult to delete aircraft once they have been installed & I don't want to clutter my installation.Please tell me if these are both none issues.

Since I have two freeware apps which currently depend on FSUIPC, let me help answer:-If you purchase FSUIPC outright, any application coded to interface with it will still work with it, regardless of whether the author has filed for a registration key, as long as the author complied with Pete's great SDK.-If I as a freeware developer want to include just the interface portion with my work, offering it to my users freely, then I have to obtain a key. But the responsibility is on me, not the end user. Very old, unsupported apps, may no longer work with FSUIPC if they weren't in full compliance with the SDK, and/or they are subject to any issues brought on by Microsoft's own changes to MSFS.I am very pleased with Pete's announcement. But people haven't been beating my door down lately for new versions of either of my apps. Given the lack of current interest, I'll probably drag out any work I have on them over the coming months, vs. trying to rush something out for FS2004. Landclass Assistant is farther along--I've finished coding it to support the 257x257 .raw file format suggested by Richard Ludowise as being more accurate for Landclass Design. But Landclass Assistant also works with FSConnect, so I may use my next release as a chance to promote FSConnect.Autoland 2002 only works with FSUIPC, and I'll likely continue using FSUIPC as its means of communication with MSFS, given Pete's rather liberal policy towards freeware.In a nutshell, if your favorite freeware author chooses to work with and support Pete, there will be no cost to either you or the author if that's all you use FSUIPC for...