Sign in to follow this  
LAdamson

FS2004 vs. X-Plane Flight Dynamics

Guest FlyboyMichael

Hi All,There have been very heated discussions lately about the virtues and faults of the jump from FS2002 to FS2004. I have also read many wonderful things about the flight dynamics in X-Plane. How do the flight models and "feel" of flying in FS2004 compare with the latest version of X-Plane? Does X-Plane feel more accurate? Do any of you run both on your system: FS2004 for visuals, dynamic weather, and add-ons, and use X-Plane for very accurate stick and rudder feel?Does X-Plane offer anything the FS2004 doesn't?Thanks,

Good luck with this question seeing that FS2004 isn't out yet...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Guest FlyboyMichael

Have you completely missed the prolific postings about minute FS2004 details by the beta testers?

Read what you want, and get any impressions you want. But I'll take the new FS2004 Robinson R-22 helicopter over the X-Plane version "7" anytime...................as in "10 to 1". With a few simple tweaks that we've experimented with over the past week, it has a look and "feel" that other sims can't match. Kind of like, you're in the screen with this one, and just watch the screen move around in brand X. Now post at X-Plane and the get the exact opposite.. :)L.Adamson

Guest Ashleigh Davidson

Mr. Adamson is of course right in what he says. I am a user of the MS series (not 2004, X plane latest version), from very early versions of both.Microsoft used to say the program allowed X hours towards your F.A.A. liscence,, I've not seen this for a while whilst X-Plane currently has F.A.A. approval for training toward Airline Transport Certificate!Personally for me, Realism regarding dynamics, X-Plane, Eye Candy MS. Forget the argument there are more add ons for MS sims, there are literally 000's available for both. Catch the link on the front page regarding X-Plane and it's creator. From what I understand, every word is true, and he does offer personal support, I know this from experience.Finally, hunt around a little to see the accreditations from professional organisations for BOTH (I'm sitting on the fence now !), make your choice from there would be my advice

Guest Ken_Salter

Just what we need - another heated argument. Geez, thanks!;-)please please please fs2004 get released and everyone will shut up for about 15 mins before the "it doesn't do this right, it sucks" posts....Tom, how much do I get paid? ;-) :-lolhttp://saltydogfly2.avsim.net/images/avsim_sig.jpg"I am the keeper of the cheese; you are the lemon merchant"

Personally when FS2004 is out I am goin to make a SERIOUS effort to free myself of the 'Avsim forums' addiction :9 and go fly for a few days, perhaps weeks before coming back.Maybe in that time all of those above mentioned posts will die. Ken I fell for ya? Need any help?

http://www.forefrontgrp.com/jayssigsmall.jpg"There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss!"

:-lol :-lol :-lolKen, I was told something some time ago, that maybe you can keep in the back of your mind for times like this. I was feeling pretty low for quite a while, when a good friend came up to me and said, "Cheer up, things could be worse :-)"He was absolutely right! I cheered up, and in no time at all, things got a LOT worse :-lol :-lol!!!!Glenn

>>Finally, hunt around a little to see the accreditations from>professional organisations for BOTH (I'm sitting on the fence>now !), make your choice from there would be my advice>That's true................ and here is a quote in the article from Jay Carter:"X-Plane is extremely accurate," says aviation entrepreneur Jay Carter, who uses a version of the program for previewing test flights of the CarterCopter, a revolutionary gyrocopter he is developing. "It does a very good job teaching our pilots how to fly the aircraft." Back on the ground at Columbia's Metropolitan Airport, Meyer explains the madness behind his method. "I'm obsessed with accuracy," he says. "The Microsoft guys, they don't need an accurate flight model. All they need is for the Sears Tower to look pretty, and they'll sell their copies. I'm a pilot and an engineer, and X-Plane is written to be useful for pilots and engineers. So I have to get that flight model right. It's not a matter of sales, it's a matter of integrity. I have a moral duty to make it fly as realistically as I can." Now bare in mind, that the Carter Copter has now "crashed seven times" in it's attempts for certification! Maybe they "should" have went with Microsoft......... afterall! :)L.Adamson