Sign in to follow this  
ThreeGreens

New FS PC - Comments Suggestions

Intel S1156 Core i7 860 2.8GHz Quad Core CPU ASUS S1156 P7P55D-LE Core Motherboard DDR3 2GB Generic 1333MHz RAM DDR3 2GB Generic 1333MHz RAM Internal All-in-1 Memory Card Reader Black 800GB Western Digital AADS 32M SATA HDD ASUS GTX 275 896MB PCIe Video Card GTX275 Antec Two Hundred Case (No PS) CoolerMaster Extreme Power 650W Power Supply LG 22x DVD Burner SATA Black OEM Integrated Sound Card MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM This comes to about $1500 Australian - can probaly vary it a bit.Scott

Boeing777_Banner_pilot.jpg

Scott Stephens

A few things:There's no such thing as an 800GB HD. Coolermaster PSUs are not as good as other brands like PC Power & Cooling, Silverstone, Corsair, and Seasonic.You'll want faster RAM than 1333, especially if you're going to overclock but even if not, you still want faster RAM. Everything else looks decent.

Guest chris493

Firstly, FSX is going to run really average on your system with no OCing etc. You won't have very decent settings and it won't be the best performance. FS9 will run well.If you want better performance and settings, you will need to OC your CPU. To do that, you will need a really good CPU cooler with 2 fans minimum to keep the temperature low. These cN be picked up for around $50, because the standard heatsink wont cut it.You motherboard is ok. The gigabyte P55-UD3 (I think that is correct) is the same price and in my opinion better.Your ram is pretty terrible. I recommend 1600MHz of ddr3 ram, and definitely not generic. Go for a known brand like geill, corsair, g skill etc. The memory card reader may slow your system down and is not a necessity unless you use it often. If your never going to use it or just rarely using it, save youself the money for something else.Make sure your HD is 7200RPM MINIMUM!!! Nothing less.Graphics is fine.You could save money on the case. The 900 is an expensive case in Australia and you could get a cheaper case that does the same thing. If your not planning on OCing, that case is OTT. Go for the Coolermaster Centurion 690. You can add lots of fans to it, it's got lots of room and it's cheaper!If you are planning on OCing your CPU, you need a better PSU. Look at the corsair HX650 and the 650TX. slightly more expensive but worth it if OCing.All the rest is fine.If you seriously want a really good computer for FSX, wait a bit longer, save up the money and get the following for $2000:i7 930 (released Q1 2010) ready to be OCd to 4GHz or moreGigabyte EX58-U5D MBGeil 6GB 1600MHz Tri Channel KitHIS HD5850 radeon.Coolermaster HAF 922 gaming caseAn extra 200mm CM Big Boy fan for case side panelCorair 650TX PSU.WD Caviar Black 7200RPM 640GB HDSamsung 24x DVD RW.Samsung 23" HD LCD monitor.Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. A Scythe Mugen 2 CPU cooler with an extra 120mm case fan added.This setup will allow the i7 930 to be OCd over 4GHz and the i7 920 to be OCd to 4GHz stably!So for an extra $500, it's worth it. Wait till intel release the i7 930 and get it as it's replacing the i7 920 and will cost the same but higher stock speed. While waiting, save up you money for it!EDIT: Please consider TechGuys post above mine. He beat me to it!! But my post is an elaborated version of his.

I totally agree with Chris here. Stock i7's speeds won't run FSX well at all. You need to push your CPU up to around the 4GHz mark with proper after market cooling in place. At 3.8 I get great results. With faster RAM I could go >4. But at stock 2.66 it ran like a dog. Also consider a Velociraptor 10k rpm drive.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU