Sign in to follow this  
Delta_Yankee2

Intel Core i7 975 3.33Ghz

Intel Core i7 975 3.33Ghz (Nehalem) Extreme Edition (Socket LGA1366) - Retail [bX80601975]I am thinking of building my first PC, I came across this i7 975.http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....amp;subcat=1272Just looking for some thoughts, whether it would be a good investment, worth its money or would be ideal for FSX...Merry XmasDan

If you're ready to spend that much money and you haven't yet built, you may as well wait another month or two for the 980x to come out which is the same speed as the 975 but has an additional 2 cores for a total of 6, also with 12MB L3 and 12 threads.

Dan,Save yourself some bucks and get a cheaper one which you overclock...I got my i7-920 up to 4GHz within 10 minutes. Runs flawlessly and I'm pretty convinced that it could go even faster, but I recon I don't need it (now...).

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

It would be easier to OC the 975 (that's what your paying for) but the 920 would be much cheaper and with a good cooler it will go to 4.0GHz with some work

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

........the 920 would be much cheaper and with a good cooler it will go to 4.0GHz with some work
Depends what you define as "some work". It really took no effort at all. Had a "how to overclock the 920" tutorial, grabbed from internet. Worked through the steps and voila; 10 minutes later I had a 4 GHz 920.Ran OCCT for several hours and temp never got over 70C.Running FSX, I see my temp in the low 60's

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

Adjusting the clock multiplier to overclock is the simplest overclocking method in existence and puts less strain on the system as a whole as compared to adjusting bclk.

Depends what you define as "some work".
If you have no OC experience. I really don't, at least not with an Intel CPU. I would say using logic the unlocked multiplier would be easier to manipulate then changing other settings on the 920

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

As someone said earlier, if you really want to spend that kind of money on a CPU, wait for the Core i7 980X (a.k.a the Core i9) to come out. It will have two extra cores, more L3 cache, and it will be fabricated on the 32nm process, which will allow higher overclocks and lower temps.Honestly, if you are only using FS, go for a 920 (or 930 if you wait two months), overclock it a little, and it will be fine. FSX has trouble using four cores as it is, so spending an extra $1000 for two additional cores will really not be a good decision. Use the extra money to get a better GPU, power supply, etc.

FSX uses 4 cores very well actually, especially if you use photo scenery, my Q6700 spends about 70 % of its time maxed out on all 4 cores. 6 cores will help, whether its worth the extra money or not is depends on the individual who is buying it and their perception of value.

Cheers, Andy.

Guest neutronium76
Depends what you define as "some work". It really took no effort at all. Had a "how to overclock the 920" tutorial, grabbed from internet. Worked through the steps and voila; 10 minutes later I had a 4 GHz 920.Ran OCCT for several hours and temp never got over 70C.Running FSX, I see my temp in the low 60's

If you don't have a decent stable power supply then you wont be able to overclock anything no matter how good the other components are.

Cheers, Andy.

Guest neutronium76
If you don't have a decent stable power supply then you wont be able to overclock anything no matter how good the other components are.
Is 1000Watt Solitech PSU considered a "decent stable power supply"??Cause if its not, then I am going to get a 8086 MSDOS computer from a recyclingplace and play FS ver.1 :(

I'd never heard of them till just now, but a quick search of Google told me they are cheap crap from what I gathered after reading a few pages, sorry.

Cheers, Andy.

Guest neutronium76
I'd never heard of them till just now, but a quick search of Google told me they are cheap crap from what I gathered after reading a few pages, sorry.
Well then I am going to ditch it and buy a new one. Another couple of hundred euros thrown into the rubbish bin :( . What a wonderful feeling...