Sign in to follow this  
Smoky942

Applying brakes in FSX

Hi, I'm just making the move over from FS9 to FSX. I've noticed that, on any aircraft, when I apply the brakes, the wheels immediately stop dead, unlike FS9 where the wheels keep turning till the aircraft comes to a halt. Is this normal in FSX ?Russell.

Guest WarpAir

The braking in fsx is too hard,But this hard braking i'v noticed is only an issue for defualt fsx planes and other simpler modeled planes.As you move to more complex detailed addon planes like the wilco stuff, you find the brake acts normall and slows the plane down slowly.IN the past i used to use reverse thrust to slow down during taxi, but not all planes have reverse thrust that i can use during taxi, some just dont like to be used that way.Finally when i got my logitech force 3d Feedback joystick, i programmed several taps of the fsx brake onto one of the keys on joystick. The fsx effect is a smoother softter brake for all aircraft. If you have logitech, just go to the control software for joystick and record a command that is taping the fsx brake button about 5 to 8 times.This is how i have solved the problem, by recording a new joystick command based on several taps of fsx brake rather than just pressing and holding the brake for longer period.So now when i press the brake button on joystick, you see the fsx brake message blinking rather than just staying full on, cause the joystick brake buttoin is playing back the brake taps i recorded.Does anybody know if it possible to fix this issue using registered version of fsuipc

If no one else, Pete Dawson can answer your question in his FSUIPC support forums. There is a feature called parameter for button and key press, wonder if that

Thanks for that WarpAir...neat solution you have there. I'm working on the dynamics of a beta model fighter. The brakes work smoothly, in that they halt the a/c in the correct runway length. In other words, they are'nt fierce, it just looks odd that the wheels stop rotating as soon as you touch the brakes. I know I can reduce the braking effect in the .air file, but then I'd be running out of runway. One other thing if anyone reading this knows. In the SDK, it tells you to set a key to "Reload User Aircraft" in the controls menu. Is there a way to add this to the controls menu, as it's nowhere to be found in mine.Russell.

Guest napamule

FSX has 'Reset (current) Flight'. Is that it? No? Because this will reset the weather, default flight airport, runway, etc to how it was when you started the lastest (flight) session on initial FSX start. (Boy, that was a mouth full). In 'Options>Controls>Buttons/Keys>Event' and for keyboard or joy it's 'Ctrl+; ' (semi-colon).To 'Change Aircraft' you go 'Aircraft>Select Aircraft' from menu. This implies you want to change variation (paint), but keep the weather, airport, runway, etc. So which one of these is the closest to 'ReLoad User Aircraft' is a good question. But those are your 2 choices. Pick your poison.Chuck BNapamulePS: Terminology is learned and without it you fumble, stumble and mumble and that can't be good. You a pilot? Learn the terminology. Just a suggestion.

Hi Chuck, in the SDK, under the heading "Testing Changes to the aircraft cfg. file." it says this..."Configure a key command to Reload User Aircraft (which will reload your aircraft from within the simulation). To do this go to Settings, Controls Assignments, and scroll down to the Reload User Aircraft event." The terminology is quite clear...Reload User aircraft. Quite different from Reset (current)Flight and Change Aircraft. It's for when you want to quickly and repeatedly reload the same aircraft after making changes to the cfg.file. Following those instructions however, leads you into a dead end, as obviously, that event does'nt exist. Being new to FSX, I wanted to ascertain whether that was the case...or my copy had'nt installed correctly.Russell.

Guest WarpAir

Reload User Aircraft is in my controls section from fsx menu, i have it mapped to "space+H" and use it quite often to test changes to panel.cfg. I did not have to do anything to make the option show in controls. Its definatly there by default as far i know.On the braking issue, i still have the fire button of my joystick mapped to the hard stopping default fsx brake, i use that on landing. But i also have a soft brake mapped to another button , the soft brake is as mentioned before several taps of fsx brake recorded into a joystick command and mapped to joystick button. I use the softbrake for taxi.For aircraft reload i think you may have to use the filters and sift through the key mappings, cause i use it, and iots there by default.

Oh, thanks for that WarpAir...exactly the answer I was seeking. I'll have another search, now I know it SHOULD be there. I have no problem with the brakes stopping the aircraft correctly. Even assigning them to an axis, I can get very gentle braking, BUT, the wheels stop rotating as soon as any braking is applied. It does'nt appear to affect the braking performance...it just does'nt look right. If I still can't find that event, I'll wait till my new computer arrives, when I'll be making a fresh install of FSX anyway. Thanks for your valuable help.Russell.

Oh, thanks for that WarpAir...exactly the answer I was seeking. I'll have another search, now I know it SHOULD be there. I have no problem with the brakes stopping the aircraft correctly. Even assigning them to an axis, I can get very gentle braking, BUT, the wheels stop rotating as soon as any braking is applied. It does'nt appear to affect the braking performance...it just does'nt look right. If I still can't find that event, I'll wait till my new computer arrives, when I'll be making a fresh install of FSX anyway. Thanks for your valuable help.Russell.
The locked wheels issue is a "feature" introduced with FSX and as you've already found, has nothing at all to do with the actual braking effect. The visibly locked wheels will be seen on all but a very few aircraft, regardless of them being default, freeware or payware.Trying to soften the actual braking effect by mapping a key to the equivalent of "tapping" the "." key actually makes the visible issue worse in my opinion; all you see is the wheels repeatedly locking and unlocking!

Cheers

Paul Golding

Hi Russell,The locking of wheels on the visual models in FSX is a hard coded bug and appears not to be solvable. It's not connected with actual braking...it's just that FSX locks the animation of wheel rotation visually when any braking is applied...and this happens on every single aircraft I've seen including all the FSX default aircraft. This is one of many issues that SP2/Acceleration didn't fix, unfortunately.Regards,Rob Young - RealAirEDIT: Oops. This was posted at precisely the same moment as Paul's answer above. No intention to steal your thunder Paul!

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Thanks very much for that info Rob and Paul...that's saved me a lot of head scratching. Much appreciated.Russell.