Sign in to follow this  
Guest fsjunkey

Discovery Wings-Headtracker

Guest fsjunkey

Does anyone own the headtracker shown on Discovery Wings tonight?If so, what are your impressions? Also, just curious...does anyone use a voice recognition program with FS2002 to command it to use pan views? If so, which one do you use? Thanks for any replies.

I do have it and it works great, especially in virtual panels where you can look all around you anytime without using controls.FS2002, IL-2 FB, Rowans Battle of Britain, are the only 3 flightsims I know that have _enhanced_ headtracker support (TrackerIR). I fly BoB & FS2002 all the time, never tried IL-2 FB.EDITEnhanced means you don't have to recenter the tracking every time you look too far off the monitor screen edge. It does work with any sim in generic mode (where you recenter with a keypress from time to time).EDIT-=WHK=-P.S. it works really great with FLY (it scrolls the oversized panel for you as you move your head).There's a utility included to fine tune the enhanced version, with larger null zones and faster panning, for instance.

I have Track IR as well and love it. I use it in FS2002 and IL2FB. It works great in both. After practice, I find it much easier to use and more natural than the the hat on my stick. I highly recommend it if you are more than just a casual flight simmer and understand going in that it will take some practice and effort to get used to it.Tony

Guest Spilot

What is their website, and how much does it cost? I have the one big important question, how much effect does it have on frame rates. How much of of drop is it?Thanks I am interested too after watching it last night. Great show too!AdamSpilot692000@yahoo.com

Guest fsjunkey

First, thanks for all the replies. Adam,their website is www.headtracker.com. On their homepage I found a link to Virtual Realities and they are selling it for $99. Yep, I would like to know too if it drops framerates.

Guest product

Guys,As to not needing to recenter it in FS2002, I do use it in enhanced mode but if if I look too far out I find it does need occasional recentering... am I doing something wrong?Also, it doesn't work with Active Camera, at least not the head latency and ground turbulence features... for some people that's a tough choice to lose in favor of the superb tracking.Best,Joel

I have it but dont use it much if any since activecamera. It works smooth and just how you think but you have to where a headset inorder for it to pick up the dot (unless you want to keep putting stickers on your forehead). I found that putting the dot on the earpiece works great instead of the mic cover like shown. Thing I found was your always resetting your center, need to wear a headset, no drop in frames, feel like you need to keep your head still so thats why I just use active cam and my hat switch. Also every time I move my mouse appears on the screen which I dont like but it can be used in other games as well. I even tried putting a dot on the end of a toy gun and tried to use it in delta force but it didnt work right.Kil~

A couple of questions for those who have this:1. Where do you put the "dots"? Can they be put on a boom mike?2. Has anyone tried the cap or rings? If so, how is the ring actually used in Flight Sim?3. On the page with the extra dots, it says one might "want to stock up". How frequently do you "use up" a dot? I might lean towards the hat, as I would wear one if flying a real plane.4. Does combining the E3D glasses and the Track IR make any sense, or would there be conflicts? If these would work together, one could certainly save on extra monitors, video cards, computers, etc.I'm close to getting this, and have seen few posts anywhere that would discourage me, but I'd like to make sure, you know? The testamonials on their sight are good, but nothing like hearing things good and bad in real time.

I do notice a difference in frame rates with Track IR, but I am not a big FPS junkie and don't pay attention to the readout. I occassionally have to recenter, but it is no big deal. You just hit a function key and are good to go. I was worried about the dot placement as well, but found that placing a couple of dots on the brim of a hat works well for me. My wife calls it my "Flying hat", as I only wear it at the computer and while playing flight sim games.I use Active Sky, but don't recall having much in the way of problems. I have head latency turned off, so maybe that explains it. I tend to use my Track IR for serious, VFR flights. For long distance IFR, or just messing around checking out planes and scenery, I don't bother with Track IR and do use Active Sky to manuever my exterior view.TonyEdit to add Avsim Store Plug. I ordered it from the Avsim store last fall. The price as I recall was about the same as purchasing from the manufacture direct, and by ordering from Avsim, I was supporting my favorite website as well. It was around $119-$129 at the time.

Guest WorkingStiff

>>Also, just curious...does anyone use a voice recognition program with FS2002 to command it to use pan views?<< Hmmm....you just gave me a great idea. I use [a href=http://www.gamecommander.com/]Game Commander 2[/a] to control my aircraft with verbal commands but I never thought of using verbal commands to change views. GC2 is capable of executing any command as long as the appropriate keystrokes are set up so I'll have to experiment with that.On occasion, especially when flying 767 PIC, I go futher and also use FlightDeck Companion in conjuction with Game Commander II to give me a virtual co-pilot. This enables me to read the checklists aloud, Game Commander intercepts the verbal commands and executes them, and FDC confirms through verbal responses.For example on approach I simply say "Gear Down"....GC2 automatically executes the gear down command, and FDC confirms first by saying "Gear going down" then a few seconds later..."Gear down, three green and locked.">

1. This has been answered. I personally use the brim of a baseball cap.2. Rings? Not sure. Do you mean that "magic wand " thingy? If so, nope haven

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Guest fsjunkey

>>Also, just curious...does anyone use a voice recognition program with FS2002 to command it to use pan views?<< Hmmm....you just gave me a great idea. I use Game Commander 2 to control my aircraft with verbal commands but I never thought of using verbal commands to change views. GC2 is capable of executing any command as long as the appropriate keystrokes are set up so I'll have to experiment with that.Seeing the IR Tracker (headtracker) on Wings is what caused me to ask the question about voice recognition. I thought, why not use voice to do your pans for you if you don't have the IR Tracker. To me it's pretty near doing the same thing isn't it? I would rather do that if it is possible, rather than using the hat switch. That's why I wondered if anyone who has voice software has tried it..and what software they used. Thanks in advance for any replies.FSJUNKEY