Sign in to follow this  

Default GPS in Cessna C172SP panel

I remember reading somewhere (a long time ago) how to build the default GPS into the Cessna panel, replacing the second radio, adf and some more maybe. It required some editing of the cfg files. I'd like to have it that way so I don't need to open a subwindow with the GPS. (I don't like the Cessna with the G1000, so that's no option ;) ). Anyone knows where I can find some ready to copy and paste info?

Thanks, but it seems it can't be done... I edited the panel.cfg but the 3D-knobs of the radios aren't removed... Pity, I would really like to have the default Cessna with the GPS in the VC instead of in a seperate Shift=# window...

Thanks, but it seems it can't be done... I edited the panel.cfg but the 3D-knobs of the radios aren't removed... Pity, I would really like to have the default Cessna with the GPS in the VC instead of in a seperate Shift=# window...
The 3d knobs are there to stay, I'm afraid.. The Flight1 C172 allows you to do what you want, though..

Bert

The 3d knobs are there to stay, I'm afraid.. The Flight1 C172 allows you to do what you want, though..
Yep, hate it when that happens Bert :( The Carenado 182's may also be a choice, and have a variety of options that can be considered. :( 182RG-FSXSMALL.jpg182q430.jpg

What are the (other) advantages of these other Cessna's...? I always wondered why you should buy a 172 when FSX has one by default. Mind you, one if the reasons I like the default Cessna (besides that the VC looks pretty good for a default plane) is because it's extremely easy on the fps. I've bought my share of plane addons over the years, but there isn't a single addon that performs equally well...Each and everyone lowers fps... Do these two Cessna's (Flight1 and Caranedo) do the same? I really don't want to lose a single fps... Last week I bought the Kodiak (christmas sale) because it had a GPS panel and it was supposed to be easier on the fps: well, I it is indeed easier on the fps than the Cessna G1000 that comes with FSX, but it still brings my system to a halt at certain circumstances... that's why I parked it in the hangar and I am back with the Cessna 172... But I really, really, really would love being able to do everything from the VC, without havinh to use ANY popup windows!

What are the (other) advantages of these other Cessna's...? I always wondered why you should buy a 172 when FSX has one by default. Mind you, one if the reasons I like the default Cessna (besides that the VC looks pretty good for a default plane) is because it's extremely easy on the fps. I've bought my share of plane addons over the years, but there isn't a single addon that performs equally well...Each and everyone lowers fps... Do these two Cessna's (Flight1 and Caranedo) do the same? I really don't want to lose a single fps... Last week I bought the Kodiak (christmas sale) because it had a GPS panel and it was supposed to be easier on the fps: well, I it is indeed easier on the fps than the Cessna G1000 that comes with FSX, but it still brings my system to a halt at certain circumstances... that's why I parked it in the hangar and I am back with the Cessna 172... But I really, really, really would love being able to do everything from the VC, without havinh to use ANY popup windows!
If the Quest Kodiak brings your system to the knees, I am afraid there will be no solution for you but using the default planes. Neither the Carenados nor the QK have a negative impact on my system - so it seems yours is at its limit.

If the Quest Kodiak brings your system to the knees, I am afraid there will be no solution for you but using the default planes. Neither the Carenados nor the QK have a negative impact on my system - so it seems yours is at its limit.
Hm, I've taken the Kodiak out of the hangar again, because I did some testing and found out the default Cessna also drops fps heavily at the specific airport I was flying... The Kodiak does take away a few fps, but not as much as I thought. Luckily, because it is a nice plane... ;) So it wasn't the Kodiak, it was the scenery that gave me problems... FSX can sometimes be complicated... :(

Mind you, one if the reasons I like the default Cessna (besides that the VC looks pretty good for a default plane) is because it's extremely easy on the fps.
You are going to be pretty safe with the Carenados, if anything, they are easier than the default planes.If the C172 is the plane you like, I would highly recommend retrofitting it with the RXP FLT gauges.. theymake the plane look way better, and work very well in the default Baron and Maule as well.It is like getting three new aircraft..

Bert

You are going to be pretty safe with the Carenados, if anything, they are easier than the default planes.
Easier than the default planes...! So I might actually gain some fps with one of their planes...? Interesting. But I guess building the GPS into a Carenado panel will lower fps again...I do love the Kodiak, but fps seems smoother with for instance the default 172. It's a constant struggle with FSX. :(

Yep, hate it when that happens Bert :( The Carenado 182's may also be a choice, and have a variety of options that can be considered. :( 182RG-FSXSMALL.jpg
Okay, so now I've got the C182RG :( and I'd like the default GPS500 plus Bendix AP in the VC... I tried to get it done with the panel.cfg but it just won't work: I tried for instance to replace the AP, but the spot of the AP says empty, even when I number the gauges the right way.... Anyone knows how to get this done? Or can you only replace the ENTIRE radiostack...? Or maybe someone knows where to get alternative panel.cfg's?

Nice mod on that C172 Bert. The only thing I wish was that the airspeed indicator was more appropriate lol180 kts in a c172 - I'll take it!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Aaaaah, I am getting there already! :) Here is the VC with the GPS500! Not the prettiest sight (color is not quite right of course and the bottom is missing a few millimeters) but it works! :) Now if only I could get the Bendix AP in there two... I'll go working on that now! :)2aaddsy.jpg

Nice mod on that C172 Bert. The only thing I wish was that the airspeed indicator was more appropriate lol
That is adjustable... and yes, I really ought to clean that up! :(

Bert