Sign in to follow this  

Download problems!

Hey everyone,This would probably be more appropriate in the File Library forum, but thought I'd post it in here as its likely to be viewed by more people. Moderators feel free to move it if need be.I've got a problem with downloading files onto my new Dell Dimension 8300. I've tried downloading some files from here in the library, and when I am taken to the download page, nothing happens! Tried the 'click here if your download doesn't start shortly' button, but still nothing!?!? Whats really strange is that I have had no problems downloading other files this week, for instance drivers etc for my new computer.I notice that there is a post in the file library forum suggesting to someone with a similar problem that they check the 'use Passive FTP', in Internet Options/Settings. But I tried this and still nothing. I can remember this problem occuring on my old computer about a year ago, and it just mysteriously disappeared of its own accord.Any ideas people? And if the answer is 'security settings etc' could someone tell me which ones exactly and how they should be set for successful downloads!Kind regards,Al Summers.

Hi !I'm assuming that the new Dell came with WinXP Home / Pro, and as such will probably have some sort of firewall in place that may be blocking your download connection.From what I remember of setting up my own new PC a couple of years ago, you'll need to tell the firewall to allow downloads/data transfer from safe sites (in this case the Avsim site), specifying the address and/or IP address. I can't give specific details at present, as I'm at work on a Win98 machine !In addition, you could check the Security Settings for IE. With the browser open, go to Tools, Internet Options, Security and select Internet. Click on the Custom Level button, and see what the security level is set to (I think the default is High.) If set to High, you could bring this down to Medium, and see if this solves the problem.Cheers,Alastair

Thanks for that. I will ask about the firewall settings at the Dell support forums, and see what they say. This has to be the problem, as I just tried downloading a file from 'allnodesarebusy.com' and it did the same thing, so gotta be a security issue.Security level is already at medium, and I don't think it will make much difference if I reduced it to low, but will give that a try just on the off chance that it helps.Regards,Al Summers.