Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Backing up FS9/FSX installations

Has anyone got a backup solution to my little problem? I make occasional image backups (Norton Ghost or similar) of my FS9 PC, but that's not an everyday thing - takes too long. I also make a backup once every week or two, onto an external drive, of my whole FS9 installation (via a batch script which replaces any changed files every time I run it). So, if I accidentally delete or change something, I can get it back by copying the files from the external drive. Like many, my setup is now sop tweaked and complicated that I don't think I could ever get it back, starting from scratch.My problem is that one or two programmes seem very 'delicate' - such as FSHotSFX (wouldn't run FS9 without it!), and whenever there is a major problem with my PC (e.g. new graphics card needed this week), unregisters itself and no longer accepts the old registration number. Not always easy to get support to send me a new one either.I could try to restore the relevant folders from an image backup, and then go through the relevant entries in the registry and try to change them to how they were when the programme was still running OK. But since a system restore to a point at which the software was still registered and running doesn't work, I am not sure that tinkering with the registry (even supposing I know what I am doing, which I sort of think I do, and have first set a new System Restore point) is an effective option: in any case, if a System restore doesn't help, I assume other registry backup options, like ERUNT or NTBackup, wouldn't help eitherSo, does anyone know of any software that will back up a programme installation and at the same time its associated registry entries so that I can restore a working programme from a backup, but without having to restore a whole partition image? This is the nth time this and one or two other programmes I have (all for FS9 - that's all I have on this particular PC) have unregistered themsleves after a serious crash, or a bit of hardware has been replaced and I'd like to prevent the hassle of getting new keys from the developer in the future, if possible.Thanks,Martin

Martin,The problem you are facing is one that we all struggle with.Now, some addon's don't like backup software so, no matter which program you use, they will always unregister.However, since I am using the latest version of Acronis True Image, (2010), life has changed for the better.I have installed Windows7, registered and activated it, and made an image file.So far have managed to restore that image 4 times without losing the activation.Maybe you should give that a try.However, since most of the registrationkeys are locked away inside the registry, you will always have to restore the registry and the easiestway to do so is to restore the imageof your c:\ driveLuc Brusselmans Belgium

My problem is that one or two programmes seem very 'delicate' - such as FSHotSFX (wouldn't run FS9 without it!), and whenever there is a major problem with my PC (e.g. new graphics card needed this week), unregisters itself and no longer accepts the old registration number. Not always easy to get support to send me a new one either.
Well, I just myself a new PC and used Norton Ghost to save all of my files from my old PC and to transfer them to my new PC. I also use FSHotSFX and had absolutely no problems getting the registration key reset for it. I just sent an email to FSHotSeat's support email address with a copy of my original bill of sale email and stated that I built a new PC. I got a response back within 30 minutes and re-installed FSHotSFX no sweat.

I feel a bit guilty now - in the past I had problems getting support for FSHotSFX, on several occasions, but this time (just after my post here in fact), I got a reply with a message that the key had been reset within a couple of hours (on Boxing Day too).M.

FYI - I use O and O Diskimage for my Image program - no problems with FSHOTFX "unregistering" itself.For that matter, no probles with any payway I have "unregistring". :( Guess it all depends on which program one uses.

Well this time my FS PC needed a new motherboard (it's still under guarantee so Dell came and put one in, plus a new graphics card for good measure) - the hard drive wasn't touched. When the hardware was installed and the PC working, I found FSHotSFX and S-Combo for FS9 (which I still use) now told me my 'trial period had elapsed' (even though I have paid for both). No idea why this happens - even overwriting the programme folders from my Norton Ghost backup and doing a System Restore to a time when all was Ok doesn't change anything - the programmes still need to be reregistered. Just the way the programmes were written I suppose.FSHotSFX is now workjing fine again - but no reply yet from Oncourse re. the S-Combo...Martin

Another vote for Acronis True Image here. I personally use it to create an image-based backup of the entire computer, stored on a couple of external hard drives - I make a new image every couple of weeks, and then update it with incremental backups overnight every night (it only takes 10-20 minutes-ish). Plus a couple of encrypted copies that live in my locker at work, but that's because I'm paranoid and geekish about these things. ;) I've been grateful for the backups a number of times!

That makes more sense.The registration of some programs are keyed to be "machine specific" - to try to stop illegal "sharing" of registration information.When your motherboard was changed the data in the registration no longer matched the hardware so it thought it was never registered.That is just a layman's understanding of how some registration schemes work.