Sign in to follow this  
Holger

General Aviation idea

Hello forumI was wondering if it is possible to create a freeware project a bit like the projectai. I'll explain how it would work:Projectai is airline traffic related. This proposal is a project that does the same thing, but it the developers of this project will not create boeing, airbuses and other big jets, but only small piper, cessna and other general aviation models specially designed for AI Traffic. Then repainters would create fictional or real life repaints for those models, and so we would be able to see other General aviation aircrafts and liveries than the default traffic.We would then distribute the available flights by the available aircraft using some tools already available.I think this is important as FS04 will have traffic at the airports and so it would be great to see as many liveries as possible.I would love to do it but I don't the knowledge to create models and repaints, not even the time to do it. Maybe I participate in that project if and when it is online... It's just an idea for now. What do you think about it?Pass the wordSorry for any english error :-) RegardsL. Sousa

Greetings, first off I LOVE the idea, I am always looking for good models to use as AI, unfirtunately most are a bit heavy on the FPS.Here are the problems faced with a project of this nature in my mind. first off, the majority of FS users prefer the big airliners unfortunately and many delete the GA traffic altogether. second, to set this up at the very least you would need a good modeller to create the GA aircraft, some good painters, someone who is good with the FDs and a webmaster with his own server! all this time and effort and the amount of interest may not equal up. Now maybe a project with a group of guys and create a "package" that includes several GA models with setup and flights, that is something I would very much be interested in.Regards, Michaelhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir International VAwww.calvirair.comCougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviationwww.cgrmtnhelos.com

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest A_Delta_Sierra

I like the idea also and hope that now with VFR flights in FS2004 it can be accomplished.Instead of building schedules similar to the what the big iron folks have done. Build "schedules" to emulate a flyin at smaller airports and have a "poker run" schedule. Bring up to 15 aircraft, all of the same manufacturer, several can even be painted simlar except for the registration number, and then have them visit 5 local airports that are at least 16nm apart from one to the next. "You" can then jump into the "poker run", keeping in mind that you will be impacting the event by delaying some (like the butterfly that gnerated a micro whirl wind 2E6 years ago that has caused the recent thunderstorm.)of the aircraft unless you start at the rear. The GA aircraft mdls probably can be FS98. They seem to be very low poly count. The fixed gear ones should work, except for the prop visual. too bad the retracts appear with the gear up all of the time instead of down. We could live with them forgetting to raise the gear, but levitating is a bit much.Is it possible to change the texture map for the prop on FS98 aircraft to make it transparent so it appears to be turning all of the time?

>Greetings, first off I LOVE the idea, I am always looking for>good models to use as AI, unfirtunately most are a bit heavy>on the FPS.That's why models specially designed for AI traffic shoud be created. They have not so much detail and the the computer handles them better...>Here are the problems faced with a project of this nature in>my mind. first off, the majority of FS users prefer the big>airliners unfortunately and many delete the GA traffic>altogether. I think they delete the GA traffic because there are not many liveries and models. It would be a better experience if they where on the virtual airports seeing more aircrafts and repaints... >second, to set this up at the very least you would>need a good modeller to create the GA aircraft, some good>painters, someone who is good with the FDs and a webmaster>with his own server! all this time and effort and the amount>of interest may not equal up.There are textures being released to the flight1 GA models and fligtsimmers are downloading them. I think there is some interest in GA traffic... Remember, they are payware, so only the people that have payed the base models are interested, and they are a lot of people. Imagine how many would be interested in some GA freeware models.I agree, we need that to start, I am not included in any of these groups, I just had an idea and it is under discussion now. I don't think I am able to be some senior member of this project, hope someone can do it.I think the server wouldn't be a big problem. There could be only an index site at geocities, tripod, angelfire, etc., linking to models and repaints located at avsim or flightsim... Have you ever been to ai-aardvark.com?The creation of packages containing repaints and flightplans is a good idea, but I was planning to use AITM or other tool to redistribute the flightplans contained on the file b_aiga20.zip by the new aircrafts...RegardsL. Sousa

Guest ba747heavy

If this idea ever gets off of the ground, I consider myself to be a halfway competent webmaster(can I please have a piece of humble pie? :D) You can email me at ba747heavy@charter.net if you want me to design you a website. Again, if this ever gets off of the ground :)

>The GA aircraft mdls probably can be FS98. They seem to be>very low poly count. The fixed gear ones should work, except>for the prop visual. too bad the retracts appear with the>gear up all of the time instead of down. We could live with>them forgetting to raise the gear, but levitating is a bit>much.I think we can have better models than FS98 models, but I think FS98 models are also a possibility, provided they are updated with radius and other variabes needed for AI traffic.>Is it possible to change the texture map for the prop on FS98>aircraft to make it transparent so it appears to be turning>all of the time?Sorry, but I don't know. As I wrote, I am not an expert. The only thing I created to FS was some flightplans... I don't know much about image edition tools.RegardsL. Sousa

Guest Captain Barfbag

Radius is contained in the .mdl file. Generally, this is a FS2002 variable, and you can't play with the radius on older aircraft. Note that even the default Lear 45 and Cessna 182RG (the retractable-gear flavor) are not radius-adjustable in FS2002. Other default FS2002 planes do make the radius available for AITM editing.There are quite a few repaints of the default Beech Baron out on AVSIM, by the way.

Guest Joshieca

RADIUS AFCAD is out the door for users of FS2004. The new system will allow users to assign parking by editing the aircraft.cfg file....but that wont happen until MS comes out with the SDK, and that might take a few months to happen.In gerneral most GA aircraft head for GA parking/ramps if open, only after that point will they park at a gate, unless you have changed the radius size for FS02 or the aircraft.cfg for FS04.There are lots of repaints on AVSIM for the default GA aircraft, but the idea here is to create low poly count planes, and get away from the default MS aircraft. I will paste a link to this thread over at AIA and see what those guys have to say.[div align=center][link:www.jetdoc.com/STO/]Visit The Bookstore & Gift Shoppe][/b

Guest WorkingStiff

What you're proposing to do is rather easy and I've already done something similar for my own use. I got the idea from a project put together by Holger Sandmann; you can see what he did here: http://library.avsim.net/search.php?Search....zip&CatID=RootI then combed through the FS2002 Aircraft section of the Avsim file library looking for GA aircraft constructed in gMax. I downloaded about 20 aircraft and stripped out unnecessary elements like virtual cockpits. I then set up these aircraft to fly short random routes between Emma Field, the four Georender airports, and some Washington State airports by Bob Bernstein.I'm running all this on only a 1.2 gHz Athlon processor with little ill effects. Here are two threads showing examples of what I've done; the only aircraft in these pictures that are not AI is the DreamFleet Piper Archer II.http://forums.avsim.com/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchhttp://forums.avsim.com/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=search

Howdy all:interesting thread and definitely a project/idea worth pursuing ;-)For the hands-on folks, Project AI (yes, the big iron people!) just published a paintkit (i.e., model and blank textures) for a GMax DHC-6. The model is by Project GlobeTwotter and the flight model by Premier Aircraft Design.You can find it at http://projectai.flight1.net/ under Certified Resources - Paint Kits. I don't know how well it works as someone pointed out that the flight model doesn't work as is but I'm sure that can be fixed (I haven't had a chance yet to try it myself). Thanks to the authors!Cheers, Holger

Hey Holger, how's it going buddy?? keeping busy?!More impressions from what's been said. I like GA AI aircraft and have quite a few running around. FS98 and most FS200 ones are not acceptable for AI, to many problems, both with the model, radius, and the animations (although some FS2000 beavers do work very well).There are a few repaints for the defaults GA and I have most of them installed, something like 8 good, realistic ones for the baron, 6 for the King Air, quite a few for the cessnas including a few metallic ones, these all work fine, are decent on the FPS and look rather nice. New LOD, FPS friendly models will improve the over all project and this should be the first priority if this ever gets off the ground. Keep in mind, just because an aircraft is GMAX doesn't mean it is FR friendly.Not sure how the new sim will handle AI, will have to wait and see what can be done with the SDK.The Twotter that Holger mentioned works good for AI (have it flying around the caribbean as WinAir), but it is a tad bit heavy on the frames, I had spoken to Udo the designer about it in another post and he wants to do one specifically for AI, so we will see on that. (I am waiting for the VC version of it!)Regards, Michaelhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir International VAwww.calvirair.comCougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviationwww.cgrmtnhelos.com

Best, Michael

KDFW

Hi Michael: doing well, my friend, though too much time spent outside of the FS world (and I don't mean floating on a lake with a cocktail in hand). Did you read my post at hovercontrol? I'm gearing up for the next stage of AI choppers (and a coupe of other projects); should be fun...Everybody: anyone interested in adding the flightfx learjet series (23/25/31/35) as AI traffic, have a look at my post here: http://projectai.flight1.net/forums/forum_...p?TID=5576&PN=1Cheers, Holger

Howdy:nice job on the table - thanks for sharing! A question from a non-modeler: how does one count the polys of compiled .mdl files?Another point to consider in the frame rate debate is the resolution of the textures; for all my AI aircraft, GA and big iron, I reduce 24-bit textures to 8-bit, which tends to give me a few more fps and saves HD space too.Cheers, Holger