Sign in to follow this  

Freeware Aircraft Site - Can't remember address!

Guest Turnbull2000

Hi,I'm looking for a website that I browsed through a couple of weeks ago, but can't remember how I came across it. It contained a 'Top 25' (or similar number) list of freeware aircraft for FS2002. I can't believe I didn't place it in my favourites!Does this sound familier to anyone?Paul

Probably FS Planet, but don't get too excited as their rating system is somewhat suspect (as is much else that they do); they have a Cessna there in "best" aircraft that, after an 18MB download, turns out to have the writing all back to front down one side.I'd stick to Avsim and take the recommendations from these forums. There have been many threads on "best freeware aircraft" here.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest WorkingStiff

Simply by going to the AVSIM file library and;1. Entering "*.zip" (without quotes) into the "Search For" box2. Select "FS2002 Original Aircraft" as the "Category"3. Click on "Search"4. Reorder the search results by clicking on "Order by Downloads" then "Change View"You get a listing of the most popular or "best" aircraft(judging by the number of downloads).

Guest ba747heavy

WorkingStiff -That is an interesting trick! Thanks for that :)

Good idea, but you'll miss a lot that way. Heavy downloads don't necessarily identify the best, in my view. For example, the average youngster these days just lives for Boeing and Airbus because that's all he's grown up with, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are the best models out there.Steve "Bear" Cartwright's reviews are probably the best way to identify some of the hidden gems. Steve has a good eye for what's out there, and his recent reviews of FS2002 were mindbogglingly comprehensive. Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest WorkingStiff

You're welcome.I spend a fair amount of time going through the libraries searching for the overlooked gems so I've come up with a variety of tricks to make searching faster and easier.

Guest WorkingStiff

Try it and you'll see....The most popular download is not a Boeing jet but the ATR Panel and Aircraft by Aviel Nahoum with 7,480 downloads.While the library might be flooded with large jets, over time the best aircraft are spread by word of mouth..and you can see it reflected in the downloads.