Sign in to follow this  
Guest christian

FS2004 still using BGL files?

Guest Arlei

Hey guys,Does FS2004 still use the BGL files?I've read some discussion during the development of this new version of Flight Simulator concerning that the BGL schema will not be used anymore.Anyone could please "shed some light" on this?Thanks.

Guest racartron

YES. That from FSGenesis which use BGL files exclusively in their terrain mesh. In fact, the auto installer has already been updated to look for FS2004. Cool!!!Racartronit means something, but I just can't remember what

Guest racartron

Just answering the guy's question. Ignore the prepositional phrase if ya like.Guess I could have simply said yep, but then where is the backup?Racartronit means something, but I just can't remember what

To answer the question:Yes, FS2004 will still use .BGL files. I've had some of the official testers load my FS2002 scenery into FS2004, and it works like a dream. However, the scenery library is gone. Everything is done outside the sim now, from what I understand.Rob D.

Hi, Official Fs2004 Beta Tester.Yes fs2004 use all bgl like previous Msfs version. BTW All mesh from fs2002 works drag and drop with no problems.The scenery library is in the main fs2004 startup page now see picture, you can`t add scenery when you are in the sim, you have to end your flight session and get back to the main fs2004 screen to add scenery.http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/24103.jpgThanksChris WillisOfficial Fs2004 Beta Tester[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Hi Chris.I believe the Scenery Library was "moved" dueto the increased use ( and complexity ) of autogen. We had some problems with scenery design in FS2002 with autogen display, and that was cured by exiting the sim, and re-entering the flight. By moving the Library's access, it takes care of that problem.Dick

Guest cwright

Hi Dick! There was quite a well-known trick with FS2002. To update the scenery all you had to do was enter the scenery library and immediately click okay to return to the flight. This automatically updated the scenery. But maybe it didn't fix the autogen problem. When working with Airport 2.60, all I had to do was compile the new scenery version with Airport with FS in flight mode, enter and exit the scenery library and - presto! - my updated scenery was there. Now with FS2004 it sounds like I will have to exit the flight each time. Darn.... Note to Microsoft: in FS2006, please add a set of update commands that can be mapped to keys, for example to update the scenery mesh, textures or aircraft etc. That could save an awful lot of time for designers. Best regards, Chris Wright

Hi Chris.Good to hear from you.The "quick" update was exactly the problem in FS2002 for autogen.The autogen would be excluded by a scenery problem, and the update would refuse to refresh the autogen when the scenery was changed or removed... leading to a false autogen exclusion, and a lot of confusion for scenery designers. It's a designer's problem, as the end-user would never have the problem... unless he switches sceneries' activation in and out like a madman.*:-* The best solution for it was to actually exit the sim, then restart it, when designing autogen-sensitive scenery.The heavier use of autogen in FS2004 probably required the change.Dick

Guest christian

Yes and no.scenery files still are BGL files. However, most default files in FS2004 don't use the old BGL format anymore. The BGL format has been completely revamped.However, most BGL files of old format will probably still work.I won't go into any further details here until FS2004 is actually released. I'm happy to discuss this further over personal mail if anyone is interested...Cheers, Christian