Sign in to follow this  
haskell

182 RG Engine dies at altitude

All that said, for anyone operating a machine like the 206 and the later 182's (not sure which engine Carenado has in their 182), they all have fuel injection and carb icing is a moot point. If one is getting engine failures and apply carb heat in a fuel injected airplane cures it, there is a bug in the software I'm afraid.
This is an FSX 'thing' I believe. FSX does not include parameters for fuel injected prop aircraft in the SDK, thus all fuel injected systems are 'simulated'. I have had to use the keystroke for carb heat in a few of my fuel injected models under certain conditions, as they are still modeled with a carburetor by default. No, I'm not an aircraft designer, but had this problem with another designers aircraft, and that is how it was explained to me. Perhaps Carenado will clarify.And yea, the Beaver is almost unflyable for me in the winter months, as the carb heat does seem to work well.Never had an issue in any of Carenado aircrfat that the carb heat would not fix, but have had times where I had to lose a couple thousand feet of altitude before it kicked in. There are times I wonder if this isn't a sign of icing more than carb heat. Unfortunately, we don't get any visual cues of icing happening in FSX. I believe there is only one third party aircraft that does model it visually.If you use a weather engine as Active Sky (as I do), there is a possibility that these conditions are more 'exaggerated' vs. the default FSX weather engine.

Hi guys,Just raising an old topic!Real pilots usually know about it. Carb heat must be used with precaution. there is no ice formation when temperature is below -5°C simply because the air is too cold and therefore no moisture so no ice formation. Ice in the carb is formed between -5°C and 30°C.If you're cruising at 7000 feet with a OAT of -16°C, there is no risk of ice formation BUT, if you turn the carb heat ON, you will increase the temperature of the air entering in the Carb, and then you are in the range of temperature where ice can be formed!!!So it is a pilot mistake to turn the Carb heat ON during such conditions.Remember, below -5°C, no need to use Carb Heat!!I'm quite impressed that FSX can simulate that kind of details.Regards,Stephane

Edited by stephane130281

Guest BeaverDriver

Actually, that's true in real life, but FSX seems to make carb icing MORE likely with well below freezing temps. I've seen it many times and it drives me nuts. I've had to descend in the DC3 before (MAAM) because the carb heat couldn't keep up with the low temps. That said, I'm intrigued by the thought that wing icing may play a part. That shouldn't affect the power though.Good thought Stephane, and quite correct for the real world. However, FSX does not model carb icing at all well unfortunately.

For what it's worth, I have experienced this in the Carenado C172 and C340. In both instances I was flying into a storm with icing conditions. I use REX weather engine and I have "enable realistic icing effects" enabled. In neither case did I have carb heat turned on when the loss of power began, and turning it on did not really help the problem I haven't figured it out yet, just reporting on what happened.

Lose not thine airspeed, lest the ground rise up and smite thee.

It's a shame! That would be nice to correctly simulate this, I don't think it would be difficult to implement...If a good programmer reads this :) :)So finally, it is more likely to be a bug than a icing effect correcly simulated.Another point I'd like to share is that Carb heat is more efficient as a preventing system than removing ice into the carb heat.Stéphane

I had this exact problem a few minutes ago while flying the Flight 1 Cessna T182T, which is fuel injected and thus no carb heat to turn on. I didn't know you could hit "H" so I just kept climbing/descending as I had power and lost power. Finally, I just cruised at 2500 ft and it seemed to do okay.Not very realistic. I guess the FSUIPC "prevent all icing" setting could be used.Using AS2012 for weather.James

I've experienced the same thing in the Eaglesoft Cirrus SR22 Turbo so I just turn off all icing in FSUIPC.

I had a similar problem with the Carenado C340 last night on a VATSIM flight from Bern to Lugano, Switzerland. The weather at Bern was -5C with a dew point of -5C, a wall of fog. I was expecting icing and applied the appropriate measures.

During run-up the manifold pressure would jump to 28-30 inces and die back down to around 20. There was no way to get enough power for TO. I abanonded the flight and sat on the ground killing and restarting the engines, fooling around with icing settings (prop, surface... on/of) and alternate air to no avail.

The problem did not go away until I quit VATSIM and reset the weather to CAVOK. I would expect the model to respond to icing conditions.

But this is very strange behavior.... especially for a fuel injected airplane. Need to reproduce off-line. Still, Carenado development take notice, pls.