Sign in to follow this  
Guest crashing_pilot

Dark Moment repaint request

Mark, your recent repaints of the R4D/DC-3 are fantastic. Was looking thru an old issue of "Airways" magazine, where there was an article on Buffalo Airways of Canada. The only regularly scheduled DC-3 pass. flight in North America is operated by this airline, along with 9 other DC-3s. Any chance you could perform your wizardry once more on this great "old lady" of flight sims?

Hi JWThanks for the kind words! They're all too rare for us freeware chappies, I fear, so always good to hear.You may be in luck with Buffalo, as I have already considered such a repaint. I am in the process of reviewing the "rest of my list", however, for a number of reasons:1. It's never-ending. Not until I started this process (34 repaints to date) did I discover just how many liveries the great DC-3 has sported worldwide, and how many are still flying. I thought I knew the aircraft's story pretty well, but I didn't know the half of it. If I want to remain married, I may have to draw the line somewhere!2. To date, it seems that there will be a problem with my repainted aircraft in FS2004. Everything will show, and work, except the prop axes and prop circles, and to date I haven't identified a way around this. I don't have my own copy of FS2004 yet as I am not one of the chosen few, so have had no chance to test this directly; but the feedback is disconcerting. FSDS aircraft with limited animations - many jets, for example - seem to be fine, but old props may be in trouble if they are not FSDS2 or GMAX. MS, why do you do this to us? For this reason alone, FS2002 will be staying on my own hard drive for some time to come. I have too much invested in it.3. Jan's GMAX aircraft will be out later this year. It will be much easier to paint than the existing aircraft, may come with a paint kit, and will be of very high quality. As many painters may jump on this bandwagon, I may just retire into the back of the hangar somewhere and play with my yoke!4. The default DC-3 in FS2004 will spawn many repaints. I have reviewed the FS2004 bitmaps for the DC-3 (first repaint already at Avsim by some fellow!) and the bad news is that MS have blocked many real-world repaints by making the tail and wings mirror images. So the later Buffalo livery, for example, can be done, where there is no writing on the tail, but would have to do without wing registrations; any aircraft with the registration on the tail, or that cannot be mirrored on the wings, is stuffed or will be incorrectly painted at the least. So expect a rash of uploads with back-to-front writing! But not from me .... what this means, however, is that in reviewing my own list I am looking at those repaints that can be done in this format. Thanks again, MS ... but, maybe they did this for Jan to make sure people downloaded his new aircraft! So all the above is a bit long-winded, but I hope explains where I'm at. I've been asked for Eastern, United, Mohawk, Austrian and more ... but I need to take stock, and I hope all good friends understand that.In the meantime, if you are really interested in Buffalo Airways, have a look at these two links:http://www.buffaloairways.com/Aircraft/douglas_dc-3.htmhttp://www.douglasdc3.com/ buff/buffalo.htmYou'll find some good stuff there.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Mark: Thanks for your detailed response. As a long-time fan of our "hobby", (more like obsession for many of us), the effort that you and others put forth never ceases to amaze me.1. Flying your recent Ozark repaint has made me feel like "Mr. DC-3" himself! I hope to take a flight before the winter, as I live within a one day drive of her home base. I appreciate your situation re the better half. My "non-aviation obsessed" wife can't understand how I can sit in front my computer for hours. I keep telling her I'm training for a real pilot's license. She sees I'm hopeless and just walks away. Tell your missus that, thanks to you and all the other repainters and "tweakers" of FlightSim, thousands of people of all races, all ages, are "virtually" flying every day, all over the world, with big smiles on their faces. I had that same smile when the Ozark repaint came out. If one can make that many people happy, across all cultural and geographic boundries, well then, what's wrong with that? 2. Yes, the "situations" with this new edition do seem quite complicated. I shall keep fs2002 for some time also.3. Yes, (drool), it will be great to fly in the vc. Don't know if I even want to try the MS version. Speaking of yokes, I'm "working on mine", trying to build a home cockpit. Progress is slow, but this "DC-3 Thing" kind of gets under your skin, you know?4. Perhaps MS will issue a "fix" in the SDK? I hope so. From what I've read and seen, Jan's Gooney, like his previous one, will stand head and tails above just about any other plane out there, at least for us "round motor" fans. If I should go deaf, I cannot think of a sweeter music to do it to than those P&Ws. Thanks for the links, Mark. All the best.

<>>The work of a Moment ...<<>>Mine just whispers to friends who visit: "He thinks it's real, he thinks it's real ...". What she doesn't realise is that it is. <<<>The very reason I do it. And why I love to see the 'oddball' aircraft and those from 'non-Western' countries being uploaded. To many demanding North American kids, FS is never good enough; to a child (or adult) with less material possessions, it is a wonderful, wonderful learning and entertainment tool. So when I see something like a Let L-410 being published, rather than yet another Boeing, I know how happy that will make some of those people. <<>>>Don't fall into the trap of knocking the default birds before they're flown. Jan Visser himself has told me that he reckons the new default DC-3 to be a fantastic bit of kit. If it's good enough for him, it'll be good enough for me.<<>>> It will, it will.<<<>>>Don't forget the Wrights, too. Anyway, the good news is that the default sounds are reported to be really good, and I already know of a couple of people who are tweaking them too!Fly low, fly slow ... it's fun, you know.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest crashing_pilot

>>The very reason I do it. And why I love to see the 'oddball'>aircraft and those from 'non-Western' countries being>uploaded. To many demanding North American kids, FS is never>good enough; to a child (or adult) with less material>possessions, it is a wonderful, wonderful learning and>entertainment tool. So when I see something like a Let L-410>being published, rather than yet another Boeing, I know how>happy that will make some of those people. as someone with less material posessions,i can only say:WELL SAID!