Sign in to follow this  
flymbo

Convert bitmaps to BGL

I think the only way to directly convert a texture bmp into a bgl is with a photo terrain bmp which you can process using the sdk resample tool. But, those bgl files will be placed under your airport scenery and it sounds like you want the texture to show above it. AFAIK, the GMax approach is the best way to place textures over the airport scenery.scott s..

Hey People,I am new in scenery building for FSX and now it is time for my first question.I am using ADE X and edited the taxiways, gates and so on, and so on.Now I want to insert some ground signs like arrows, numbers and gate numbers. I heard about creating polygons with GMAX, but I have not enough time to learn everything about it. So I decided to create a BGL and I want to handle these signs as objects.I have drawn the signs and saved them as bitmap, but I don

Hey you two,first I like to say thank you for your quick answers!I think it was a big misunderstand, cause I explain my problem wrong. I

Have you searched for any of the so called EZ libraries? They can all be placed using Instant Scenery.If memory serves there are a number of library packages which have various types of signs in them and even some which just have letters which can be placed anywhere.Look specifically for offerrings by Sydney Schwartz.If any of the packages are missing here try Flightsim also.And Flight1 offers a payware package which allows you to make "objects" using any photographs you have (houses, signs etc.). I have not used it so cannot comment on how well it works but you might check it out here:http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=1679

Have you searched for any of the so called EZ libraries? They can all be placed using Instant Scenery.If memory serves there are a number of library packages which have various types of signs in them and even some which just have letters which can be placed anywhere.Look specifically for offerrings by Sydney Schwartz.
Hey Sir David,thanks for your answer, too :) Yes, that is something I meant. Sidney has a lot of objects I like. But not all of them have a thumbnail, therefore it is hard for me, to view them. I have to export everytime my airport, because I

Hi Marcel,just a general comment to your issue. You have just two ways to place a graphic into a scenery. The graphic can be a bitmap pic or a object. Object: If it is a object you need to develope it with e.g. GMAX and/or you look into some object placement tools whether a object you like is being provided by that tool ( RWY 12 etc.) .Bitmap: If you want to place a flat bmp graphic into your scenery you can do this with the tools described in the Terrain SDK. So, If you would like to place a pic with a Mc Donald Bic Mac on to your runway, just draw it with a paint tool, make a bgl file with the resample.exe tool and insert it into FSX AddOn folder. Your ccordinates for the position to place the BigMac must be part of the input for the resample.exe tool (read the SDK). A lot of other useful scenery objects you will find in the std lib for FSX under this link:http://lc0277.nerim.net/sceneobjects/.Regards Dietmar

Hi Dietmar,thanks for your advices!I think I have to create my object with gMax now. There will be no other way :(I hope, it is not to difficult, to build with that engine. Mh...But normally, it should not be a big problem, because the signs are flat and just lay on the ground!?Has anyone a good & easy tutorial espeacially for creating ground-markings in gMax?Regards Marcel ;-)Post Scriptum: Nice people here, they really give helpful hints :(

Hi Marcel,I have developed scenerys by using both approaches and i can tell you, the one with GMAX was much more difficult. GMAX is a big,big animal.Drawing the simple graphics with a graphic tool is easy and finally to place this onto the right position is also not a big thing. If you, let' say at the end, have finished your object in GMAX, you have to built first your Object.bgl file with your unique GUID. Now, having this, you need to generate a second bgl file with the coordinates etc. to place your object ino your scenery. However, it's just up to you and having some experience with GMAX at the end is worthwhile anywayl.RegardsDietmar

Hello again !In the long run, learning GMAX allows more options for creativity in FS; but for a flat object such as a sign (not a transparent "decal") consider this:Instant Object Makerhttp://www.flightsimtools.com/iom/Reportedly, making a sign (as a simple rectangular object) is one of the easiest things to do with this application.Hope this helps ! :( GaryGB

What I understand, is that he wants to put something like a stand-label on top of the apron created by ADEX, i.e. a decal?scott s..

Hello,

What I understand, is that he wants to put something like a stand-label on top of the apron created by ADEX, i.e. a decal?
Yes, nearly. Like the "630" but rectangular :)
... but for a flat object such as a sign (not a transparent "decal") consider this:Instant Object MakerReportedly, making a sign (as a simple rectangular object) is one of the easiest things to do with this application.
By watching this product: You said, it is easy to create objects. Well, what about ground-pictures? I kept very good shots for my project. Can I also convert them to an big object that shows an apron? (in case, that the ground is not pixeled, when you test it in FS)But even I could not create a full apron, the application looks good. You have any experience?I reflect the night

Hello:It would seem others here may have better discerned what Marcel is trying to create... "Decals". :( Also, I'm not sure if this development scenario is for the FS9 or FSX platform.I could hardly find anything in a Forum search at AVSIM or FSDeveloper in regards to what used to be called "TMF Decals" ...aside from FS8 stuff.I recall seeing a very informative illustrated treatise on this methodology here or at FSDeveloper by Dick Ludowise in the past, but can't find it now. :( And seemingly there is nothing to be found about whether these can be used in, or how to create them for... FSX.Perhaps we could get a PUBLIC reply from Sidney Schwartz as to whether his "VFR Letters SS V2 FS9 scenery objects" still work in FSX ? :( http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...amp;DLID=110533Sid, can the textures that your "Letters" scenery library object MDLs use be substituted (with or without DXT format changes) for use in FSX ? And Sid, could you also tell us if you know of a way to do this with non-flat mesh-clinging vector polygons rather than custom ground polys ?Thanks for this interesting discussion on an obscure SDK method for scenery development / modding ! B) GaryGB

Perhaps we could get a PUBLIC reply from Sidney Schwartz as to whether his "VFR Letters SS V2 FS9 scenery objects" still work in FSX ? :(
Having been poked with a sharp stick, I will now emerge briefly from my cave. :( I don't have FSX, but a number of people who do have told me that my FS9 scenery objects work fine in FSX without any texture modifications needed. Attached is a screen shot taken in FSX of the FS9 Yellowknife scenery I'm working on. All those objects were made for FS9, by me and others, and display just fine in FSX. So far I've not had anyone tell me that my scenery objects are not compatible with FSX.
And Sid, could you also tell us if you know of a way to do this with non-flat mesh-clinging vector polygons rather than custom ground polys ?
Ha ha. I don't even know what a " non-flat mesh-clinging vector polygon" is. :( I've never made ground polygons with Gmax. All the "ground" objects I've made, like those vfr letters, are just regular Gmax objects with the upper surface is just very slightly above ground level. The advantage of this approach is that it's very easy. It also doesn't require the FS2002 sdk, which I believe is required for making FS9 ground polygons. The disadvantage is that these ojbects will not be recognized as "ground" by FS. They won't be illuminated by ramp lights, or show snow or rain effects. Back into my cave... B)