Sign in to follow this  
Av-Fan

Possible Carenado C-210 Cruise RPM Fix

Hope Tom and Gang don't mind this post - I know this isn't the Carenado support forum but the C-210 seems to have generated some interest. :)I've reposted this from another thread. For those who can't set anything less than 2500 rpm during cruise, please read below."It appears that the max blade angle is set too low in the aircraft.cfg file. I've set my value to the same value as found in the default Cessna 182:beta_max=60.000000 I can now set all power settings as shown in the performance section. However, I have not tested this to see if there is any effect on cruise speed and or fuel flow. I am also not a flight dynamics wizard so changing this setting might have other undersired effects. So use at your own risk!":)Matt Zagoren

After more testing, I think a value of 35 - 40 will work just fine. I don't see any difference but somehow, 35 seems like a more realistic figure.Thanks,Matt Zagoren

MANY thanks Matt! Appreciate that head's up. I wrote Carenado about that earlier but haven't heard back from them as yet.By the by, if you sit on the ground with the engine idling, do you find it suddenly just quits on it's own? It takes about 3 to 4 minutes of sitting still and has always happened to me after a flight. Thanks, and thanks to AVSIM for letting this thread stand - much appreciated as I suspect it will help a bunch of regulars here.Glenn

>MANY thanks Matt! Appreciate that head's up. I wrote>Carenado about that earlier but haven't heard back from them>as yet.>>By the by, if you sit on the ground with the engine idling, do>you find it suddenly just quits on it's own? It takes about 3>to 4 minutes of sitting still and has always happened to me>after a flight. Thanks, and thanks to AVSIM for letting this>thread stand - much appreciated as I suspect it will help a>bunch of regulars here.>>GlennHmmm, that hasn't happened to me.I just left it on for about 30min whilke I ran to the store and it was still idleing on the parking ramp when I returned.

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Guest SoarPics

Hi Matt,Just did some flight testing. All seems per spec here... prop pulls back to 2200 RPM, max is ~2800. I've not had any problems with the engine quiting if left at idle. Also, another poster mentioned something about the throttle, prop, and mixture controls not moving in the VC. Mine work fine.The only thing I'm having any issues with is cruise speeds. They seem low... my solution was to change the propeller thrust_scalar to 1.368. This setting was tested at 4000, 6000, 8000, and 10,000'. MP and fuel flows also were much closer to spec once I made this change.NOTE: Keep in mind that every flight controller is different. The thrust scalar I mentioned above may not create the same speeds, MP and fuel flows on other sticks. I'm doing all my testing with a Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar that has the EvenStrain mod (precision gimbals and Hall Effects sensors). For the purposes of this test I deleted all programming from the Cougar... in essense, I tested with the stick in Windows mode. I'll reset the aircraft.cfg propeller thrust scalar back to "1", then write a profile for the Centurion that will create the same scalar within the stick. Each user may have to tweak the thrust_scalar (if his/her Centurion is flying out of spec) to work on their particular controller.Hope this helps,

OK, that's interesting. What sort of speeds were you seeing at those altitudes (indicated)? I'd like to compare with what I'm getting.Thanks,Glenn

Greg,Thanks for the info on the thrust-scalar. I too had noticed the low speeds and high fuel consumption. I'll give that new scalar a try and report back.:)Matt Zagoren

Guest SoarPics

"OK, that's interesting. What sort of speeds were you seeing at those altitudes (indicated)? I'd like to compare with what I'm getting."The speeds I saw were within +-2kts of the specs that were included in the Carenado download. I tested at the altitudes I mentioned above, using standard temperatures, no wind, and mixture set to lean just short of the redline on the EGT.Keep in mind that each user will probably have to tweak for their specific hardware.

Guest Wichita

Yep,mine died on the ramp the first couple of times I fired it up but it hasn't happend since.The Centurion is nice but I think the aircraft is way to nose heavy. One thing I noticed on the first flight is that it took forever to rotate out. After adding the old digital trim gauge to the panel I see that by default there is -19 showing on the guage--shessh...I changed that to 00 and saved the file but it still seems heavy to me. Here's a few things I changed to get it less nose heavy,rotate off the runway earlier and not want to nose dive into the ground if you let off slightly on the stick back pressure:In the empty weight_CG_position line I changed it to 0.758The aircraft by default has four people on board,I deleted two and have the weight of the pilot and passenger at 194 lbs in station load.0 and .1In station load 6 I added in 70 lbs in baggage which is about 7 feet reward of the CG.Of course back up your cfg in case this doesn't work and you want to go back but...to me with my stick and pedals it seems more stable with these settings. You have to keep light back pressure on the stick to hold a climb of 600-1000 fpm but if you let up slightly it doesn't feel like the aircraft wants to dive bomb on you.All in all its a fantastic aircraft....David

>heavy,rotate off the runway earlier and not want to nose dive>into the ground if you let off slightly on the stick back>pressure:>It does seem heavy, and I havn't found a pedastal trim wheel except for the one on the auto-pilot, but my trim button doesn't operate that one.But as far as takeoffs go with an out of trim or nose heavy aircraft, I can tell by the amount my joystick is pulled back to rotate. If it's quite a bit, then I start feeding in up trim with my joystick button until I can relax the stick at a climbing attitude. It's almost become a matter of percieved "feel", and the plane has no tendency to dive.L.Adamson

>It does seem heavy, and I havn't found a pedastal trim wheel>except for the one on the auto-pilot, but my trim button>doesn't operate that one.There is one on the left side of AP - and it's moving ;-) I woulnd't complain about "nose heavy" becouse i'm not real Cessna 210 pilot...i have no problems during takeoff... but it's hadles little diffrent than average fs plane during landing - you need to plan ahead when to pull yoke becouse plane is rather sluggish when it's time to flare...but it's not a bug - it's just this Cessna behvior and you must learn how to fly it properly - for me all this "nose heavy" is another learning curve to master this airraft :-)

OK, but keep in mind the real 210 is very nose heavy. All the big Cessna singles are, and you need a bunch of nose-up trim on takeoff. To my way of thinking, it felt just right with 2 bodies and a fair bit it fuel.Glenn

You need to set the trim to the proper position before takeoff. If you open up the panel that has the fuel and trim gauges you will notice the pitch trim wheel along with its associated pointer/indicator. Operate the trim button until the pointer is in the middle of the takeoff band. (If starting from the default 172, you will need a lot of nose up trim.) If you do this, you will have no problem with pitch on takeoff. Having flown the C-182 I can say that the larger Cessna singles are heavy in pitch and require a lot of trim. :)Matt Zagoren

Guest Moghdad

Agreed. Personally, I haven't flown any Cessna bigger than a Skyhawk--but when has that ever stopped me from offering an opinion??? The model feels about right to me. When I set the elevator trim to the takeoff range prior to takeoff, the plane rotates easily at the right speed and holds the correct attitude and speed in the climb.I'm having all kinds of problems with cruise, through. RPM, cruise speed and fuel consumption are all off.

Guest SoarPics

"OK, but keep in mind the real 210 is very nose heavy. All the big Cessna singles are, and you need a bunch of nose-up trim on takeoff. To my way of thinking, it felt just right with 2 bodies and a fair bit it fuel."Yep. Also, the 210 is a heavy single... couldn't ever be accused of being light on it's feet.Just finished a flight from KMYI to KSMF. Three hours, speeds and fuel consumption looked good (with a tweak to the thrust_scaler). The tweak does, however, make the climb rate more "robust".Fun airplane!!