Sign in to follow this  
Guest simit

Where next

Guest simit

Hello everyone, new to the X-plane community and after having a break from flightsims decided that I miss it to much to not do it. I flew using Fsx and enjoyed it, but looking at the situation now do I go back to Fsx or go with X-plane. I have read the differences and experienced them and to be honest at this moment in time Fsx beats X-Plane hands down when it comes to quality of graphics and system functionality and I am sure there will be many X-plane followers who disagree but this is my personal experience. Obviously additional software is much more available for Fsx, but then how long is it before this about to change now there is no more development with Fsx. I enjoy the immersion that good graphics can contribute to the experience of flight sims so I suppose that is an important issue to me.So I suppose the reason for this thread is to try and find out what's happening. Will there be improvements in visuals with X-plane and yes I have seen the new CRJ which looks impressive. will it have have a realistic cockpit that's fully functional, are there plans to develop weather scenery and air traffic control, I do not know X-planes capabilities. I know much of this depends on thirdparty developers but maybe someone could shed some light on what the future might hold.One other issue is that is this simulation going to go in the same direction as Vstep with shipsim and concentrate on the commercial market. Some comments would be appreciated I am interested to know what the direction of the flightsim community is.Regardssimit

Guest Setanta
Hello everyone, new to the X-plane community and after having a break from flightsims decided that I miss it to much to not do it. I flew using Fsx and enjoyed it, but looking at the situation now do I go back to Fsx or go with X-plane. I have read the differences and experienced them and to be honest at this moment in time Fsx beats X-Plane hands down when it comes to quality of graphics and system functionality and I am sure there will be many X-plane followers who disagree but this is my personal experience. Obviously additional software is much more available for Fsx, but then how long is it before this about to change now there is no more development with Fsx. I enjoy the immersion that good graphics can contribute to the experience of flight sims so I suppose that is an important issue to me.So I suppose the reason for this thread is to try and find out what's happening. Will there be improvements in visuals with X-plane and yes I have seen the new CRJ which looks impressive. will it have have a realistic cockpit that's fully functional, are there plans to develop weather scenery and air traffic control, I do not know X-planes capabilities. I know much of this depends on thirdparty developers but maybe someone could shed some light on what the future might hold.One other issue is that is this simulation going to go in the same direction as Vstep with shipsim and concentrate on the commercial market. Some comments would be appreciated I am interested to know what the direction of the flightsim community is.Regardssimit
Let's see if I can answer at least a few of your questions re: X-PlaneImprovements in visuals - Yes, definitely. A lot of work is being done currently on the scenery both by third parties and Laminar Research.Realistic Cockpit - Yes again. There are a 'new breed' of 3rd party developers around nowadays for X-Plane who are leveraging the new technologies available to a much greater extent that has been possible in the past.Fully Functional Cockpit - That's largely down to the 3rd parties again. I would say yes with the possible exception of a fully functional GPS - though there is a third party solution available for that already.Weather - X-Plane does this relatively well already (though turbulence tends to be more than a little over the top for most tastes).Scenery - Version 10 is expected to improve the global scenery significantly when it arrives, and there are a lot of FSX addons which are being converted by third parties at present with a fair amount of success as well as X-Plane 'native' scenery.Air Traffic Control - Yes, it's dreadful in the current version of X-Plane. Again there's a free 3rd party attempt to work around this which is coming on but rumour has it that version 10 may see a change in that area.Commercial Market - X-Plane's development seems to go in phases to some extent. When it gets quiet as far as beta releases go, often there is work being done specifically for the commercial market. It's my belief that the current situation will ensure X-Plane staying with the home market as its main thrust.As you say a lot depends on third parties which is the main (perhaps only remaining) strength of FSX. However, with the 'demise' of FSX as such and the small group of really excellent developers who have started to show what X-Plane is truly capable of perhaps a few of the FSX developers will cross over. It's relatively simple to port over things like orthophotos and objects for both scenery and aircraft and while code and flight models will need to be redone it's not as difficult a task as many seem to believe.Setanta

Hello,Where next?At least this is easy for me: to continue with the enjoyment of both sims to it's last drop, for me both sims are very alive and kicking on my machine and I will try to keep them both roaring high. I will see when XP10 arrives or other sim in the future. The only advise from me: keep away the comparison of both sims, both are fantastic!Regards,Alex

Alexander Colka

A point, if I may about the fully functional cockpits comment.Currently X-Plane, with its manipulator technology is showing great abilities that have only (just) been tapped by developers in the past few months. A good example is the MU-2, the only thing it really lacks is a functional GPS which I would hope is being worked on, either by Laminar themselves or a third party developer. If not then its a big hit to XP, but I'm being hopeful. Once the CRJ comes out, followed by the Saab 340 and Hawker Bizjet family I believe we will see much more in the way of high end development. Alot is currently underway and according to the ones in the know, many projects will be announced in the coming months as 2010 will shape up to be the year that X-Planes jumps into the ring directly competing with FSX and its family of add ons.

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Guest simit

Thank you for your help, before having to stop flying sims I had spent a lot of money on FSX over a