Sign in to follow this  
Guest panda234

Tip for Quickly Layering Scenery Files

One of my beta-testers, Roy Barnes, gave me a tip for quickly layering the scenery within the Scenery Library of FS2002. I have not seen this posted before so thought I should share it with everyone.When you add new scenery into the scenery library it has to be moved down to its correct layer. In the case of mesh scenery, which is near the bottom of the layers, it was a real pain

I think you just saved me at least one new mouse Nigel :-hah! THANK YOU for that!!By the by, has anyone tried your CYVR in 2004 by any chance? I'm REALLY hoping it will work as is - GREAT scenery!Glenn

Guest dogknot

Great tip! Thanks!You should consider sending (saving) this tip to the "Tips and Tricks" forum. :-wave

Hello Nigel,Once you have clicked once on the "down" button (or the "up" button), you can also just press the "D" key (or the "U" key) for the same result.Best regards.Luis

.....OR just the "Enter" key.....it works for megwillmot

This is the kind of stuff that makes these forums all worthwhile :-hah. Thanks guys, this will save a tonne of mouse clicking!Glenn

I am anxiously awaiting FS2004 to see how my CYVR scenery works - what then I don't know, depends on how it does and how the design programs work with FS2004. Sounds like the bgl file system is still there but how my textures do remain to be seen.NigelVancouver

Guest simnut

Hey Nigel!!!!Glad to have found you. I have a question in regards to your YVR scenery, which I enjoy very much! But I do need to find out how to, or if it is even possible , if the runways alignments can be changed to match the default alignment in FS2002. Our VA can't use your yvr scenery , especially during flights on VATSIM as the runways are different. Is it a difficult thing to do? If you want, send a quick email to me.....and my appreciation in advance!haveuger@shaw.caHarry

HarryDavid Christian, another VATSIMer, has also been after me for the same thing - the short answer is "no" because the default taxiways to the north are away off and if I complied with them I would not be able to get all the terminal buildings in. My layout is based on air photos and plans provided by CYVR engineering staff. Let's hope FS2004 locations are more accurate.Nigel

Guest simnut

Right on Nigel, thanks for the quick reply. I understand the situation and will have to pick and choose when to load the scenery (times when I do not fly on line, your scenery is loaded!), and when not to load the scenery. Keep up the excellent work Nigel!Harry

Guest panda234

hmmmm, didn't know you had to move the layer for mesh files. I've added a few and they're sitting at the top. Where should I move the layer to, and why? Would it cause a performance issue leaving it near the top? Thx!Billgwoops, I'll move this to the proper place in the thread, argh...

Guest panda234

hmmmm, didn't know you had to move the layer for mesh files. I've added a few and they're sitting at the top. Where should I move the layer to, and why? Would it cause a performance issue leaving it near the top? Thx!Billg

Guest sgreenwood

It doesn't matter where the mesh files are placed. Your experience, or a few simple tests, confirm this.Here's why:Rendering mesh is more complex than other scenery, and so is the concept of "priority", since mesh covers larger areas and several files may cover the same area.Mesh "priority" at any distance from the aircraft is determined first by LOD, or source data resolution if the LOD is the same. Then mesh LOD determines the radius of the mesh actually displayed, so several mesh files covering the same area may be active at the same time, higher priority/LOD in the foreground and lower priority/LOD in the distance. This is possible because all information about available mesh in the vicinity of the aircraft is pooled and priorities are assigned/reassigned to the elements as the aircraft travels over the region.Technically, there are at least a couple of other rules that are also used.* Beyond the allowed radius for a given mesh LOD, that mesh has no priority and the next lower LOD eligible mesh data is used.* Mesh constructed with an LOD of 12 or higher is not used at all with the default fs2002.cfg settings.Conclusion: Because all relevant mesh information must be pooled before processing, it really does not matter where you place it in the Library. For now.Cheers,Stevewww.fs-traveler.com

BillgGo to the forum at FlightSim.com to the same thread, there is a good discussion on mesh files there.Nigel