Sign in to follow this  
RobertRent

A request for assistance from an authorized FS2004 Beta Tester

I have received two reports of an incompatibility between our DC-8 panels and FS2004. Obviously this issue of of real concern to us at HJG.On the basis of information thus far received, there is a question in my mind regarding the validity of these reports. It may be simply due to improper installation. I am asking for the assistance of an authorized FS2004 Beta Tester to help us run this issue down.Any help is appreciated. Michael VerlinHistoric Jetliners Group

Michael,You don't specify what those incompatibilities are, so I wasn't sure what to look for. I loaded up the DC-8-70 panel and the Delta DC-8-71 from HJG and launched from IAD. Upon loading of FS9, I got a warning about the possible incompatibility of FSsound.dll, allowed it to load anyway. Then upon bringing up the DC-8 in the aircraft select dialog, the system warned me that there "might be incompalities". However, selecting "ignore", it loaded fine. A quick fly around the circuit went fine, and all functions of the panel appeared to work in my very fast run through it. Exterior views of the DC-8 were great too. So, from my very quick perusal, I couldn't find anything wrong.

Tom,The two reports I had noted that the panels wouldn't load at all.So, your report is the first hard information I have had. It confirms my suspicions that the individuals making the report hadn't installed the panels properly. My guess is that they both neglected to install FSSound.dll. Without that in the modules directory our panels won't work in FS2002 either.I would hope that FSSound will be updated, but in any event I'm relieved to get your report.Thank you very much for this information!! We appreciate it.Michael VerlinHistoric Jetliners Group

Michael, it was more likely that they forgot to modify the panels.cfg file pointing it to the proper subdirectory in FSFSCONV. I didn't do that initially myself, and no panel (it defaulted to the previous panel loaded). Once that was changed, everything worked fine, as to be expected. :)

I notice the mention of the old module: 'FSSound.dll'.Can you tell me whether or not FS2004 provides a configuration option similar to the 'OLDMODULES' section of the FS2002.cfg file?The reason that I ask is that I get the impression that there are many existing dlls that FS2004 will consider suspect, and I have heard that FS2004 does not have a FS9.cfg or FS2004.cfg file.Thanks,Robert