Sign in to follow this  
scianoir

Reinstalling FS2004 - What is best order?

Hi all!I should know the answer to this as this is my third time having to reinstall fs9 in 3 years (Windows XP Pro failure again!), but what would everyone suggest is the best order in which to reinstall addons? In the past I have done it fairly randomly and, certainly as far as scenery is concerned, I have had to do a lot of moving around of entries in the scenery library to adjust their priority. I am starting by reinstalling terrain mesh addons, Ground Environment, Flight Environment etc and then was planning photosceneries (such as France VFR and Megascenery) followed by airport scenery. I don't suppose it matters when aircraft are added during the reinstallation? My previous fs9 installation was over 200GB in size so I have a lot of stuff to put back on and want to make it as smooth as possible!Thanks in advance for any help!Bill

Doesn't really matter what order you actually install things in unless they are replacing the same files (common sense). As far as the scenery library goes...unless 2 entries are for the same type of scenery (ie, 38meter mesh), then order also doesn't really matter...if two items do contain similar scenery then the one toward the bottom will be read first (reverse logic in fs9).

Doesn't really matter what order you actually install things in unless they are replacing the same files (common sense). As far as the scenery library goes...unless 2 entries are for the same type of scenery (ie, 38meter mesh), then order also doesn't really matter...if two items do contain similar scenery then the one toward the bottom will be read first (reverse logic in fs9).
Thanks Red - I appreciate your reply. I actually thought that the position of mesh in the library didn't matter and that fs9 always chooses the more detailed mesh irrespective of where it was placed in the library - but perhaps I misunderstood that!Bill

Thanks Red - I appreciate your reply. I actually thought that the position of mesh in the library didn't matter and that fs9 always chooses the more detailed mesh irrespective of where it was placed in the library - but perhaps I misunderstood that!Bill
That's true if you have different mesh (38, 76, etc). I, for example, have 38m mesh from fsglobal2008 but also use 38m mesh for certain parts of the US as i feel it is better. In the situation you have to place the one you want to use toward the bottom relative to the other one.