Sign in to follow this  
Guest ba747heavy

TOGA Switch

Guest metaleye

Hello to all;For me this is a very strange item in the Throttle Quadrant. The Take Off Go Around switch. I don't now when, how, or when not to use this very strange item. Please can any body tell me how to use, why it has to be used and how to, once in use, to de-activate it and why. Maybe I'm asking for a lot of info. but I'm sure this will also help many of the Sim Users that for one reason or another don't use this part of the aircraft. It has two parts one, is the take off part, and two, is the go around part. Why use it on the take off, why not jut to push forward the Thrust Levers and up you go. What is the mistery here? on the other hand we have the "go around" switch, why to use it, is not better to full thrust and off with the flaps. Well can some one explain this to me like if I have 4 years old.Thank you for your time.Miguel

Guest ba747heavy

Miguel -On planes that have a TOGA switch, you use it in two situations:1) Take off. This switch should bring the engines to max rated power and keep it at that level for as long as necessary. A lot depends on the airplane. There are some other considerations for use of the TOGA switch. For instance, the 737NG TOGA switch will put the autopilot into heading mode(at least it does in the PMDG 737NG ;-)), brings engines to max power, and (I think) puts the spd window to V2(or close to that). Bear in mind that I only beta test the NG, I don't fly it for a living :D2) Go around. Used when a landing is not an option. For instance, too low visability, an animal on the runway, or whatever. When this switch is pressed the engines come to max rated power. The only difference between TO and GA is what happens in the AP. What the AP does on a GA is dependent on the type.I hope this clears it up a bit for you.

Guest nitram

It is used on some aircraft to automatically advance the thrust levers in order to produce a takeoff within the the safe operating limits of the engine. This takes into account the air temperature etc so that the engines are not stressed and provide economical use. In Go around it simply gives the pilot one less thing to worry about as he/she will be very busy retracting landing gear, retracting flaps and altering headings on the fmc/autopilot for the 'holding' pattern for the airport.

I still think it has something to do with John Belushi and a party. *grin*

Guest ba747heavy

>I still think it has something to do with John Belushi and a>party. *grin*:-lol