Sign in to follow this  
Guest CaptCanada65

Real Environment Extreme (REX)

Guest CaptCanada65

Hi allI am considering purchasing REX for FSX and wonder if anyone here uses it and/or recommends it for FSX? Does it focus on a specific area of the world in FSX or does it replace all of the textures in FSX?Thanks!

Do not hesitate to buy REX. It provides primarily cloud and water textures (as well as a few others) that are used by the sim everywhere. It provides incredible scenery. Couple REX with GEX (Ground textures) and the sim is transformed into something quite amazing. REX provides "high definition" clouds if you choose them but you will need a good video card. The 1024 textures are quite sufficient to provide better visuals than FSX default textures at minmum performance cost (if any).Rex also comes with a weather program to produce more realistic weather than FSX's weather engine produces. I use another weather program and just use the REX textures.There are many posts on these programs already in this forum--use the search function.Hope this helps.

Do not hesitate to buy REX. It provides primarily cloud and water textures (as well as a few others) that are used by the sim everywhere. It provides incredible scenery. Couple REX with GEX (Ground textures) and the sim is transformed into something quite amazing. REX provides "high definition" clouds if you choose them but you will need a good video card. The 1024 textures are quite sufficient to provide better visuals than FSX default textures at minmum performance cost (if any).Rex also comes with a weather program to produce more realistic weather than FSX's weather engine produces. I use another weather program and just use the REX textures.There are many posts on these programs already in this forum--use the search function.Hope this helps.
Ditto!

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

I can heartily recommend REX2.The immersion one feels when flying in REX clouds is well worth the money. Take a look at some of the snaps taken by so many users on the REX forums.Oh, and the support available over there is also top-notch so any difficulties you may encounter could be resolved very quickly.Smooth skies.

Guest cdiddy
Ditto!
REX is an amazing piece of software. It is easily the best payware product I have...and I have a lot. The experience of fsx is increased to a great product of realism and I think you will find almost everybody agrees with that. REX will replace clouds, sun, sky colors, airport runway and taxiway textures, water, and add some great weather to fsx. I recomend this product highly.

Since I have installed REX I am not certain that FSX is even the same animal anymore. Simply put, I can never go back to life before REX. Get it and you will never look back.

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

Hi allI am considering purchasing REX for FSX and wonder if anyone here uses it and/or recommends it for FSX? Does it focus on a specific area of the world in FSX or does it replace all of the textures in FSX?Thanks!
It should be clear by now, but no one said it specifically: REX does NOT replace ground textures, apart from various airport textures! You asked if REX focused on a specific area of the world, so apparently you expected REX to change ground textures, but it doesn't! Not at all! It's focused on everything you see around you apart from the ground textures!Apart from that, REX will indeed change your FSX world. (I don't own it because I already own FEX, but if you are new to this I'd get REX).If you want new ground textures, the first addon to check out is FTX. FTX only covers Australia right now, but I couldn't care less because it's awesome. Soon the Pacific North West will be released. (FTX and REX is a match made in heaven). If you really, really, really want to fly elsewhere, you might consider GEX (Europe or America) for generic ground textures and UTX for real life roads and waters. (FTX has it all in one package and GEX and UTX are no match for FTX imho).

WelcomeI don't have REX, because the colours in the screenshots looked rather too garish to me. I read comments to that effect from some users, but of course there are many others who are very happy with it. Instead, I went for the alternative Flight Environment Xtreme from Flight1, which gives fantastic cloud, sky and water textures. I'd say it's the best scenery add-on I've bought.Ian

WelcomeI don't have REX, because the colours in the screenshots looked rather too garish to me. I read comments to that effect from some users, but of course there are many others who are very happy with it. Instead, I went for the alternative Flight Environment Xtreme from Flight1, which gives fantastic cloud, sky and water textures. I'd say it's the best scenery add-on I've bought.Ian
I respectfully disagree! REX is better than FEX.Stan

I respectfully disagree! REX is better than FEX.Stan
Correct! No contest. Besides I thought that the FEX (I had it also) team was dissolved.jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Correct! No contest. Besides I thought that the FEX (I had it also) team was dissolved.jja
Right. I own FEX and have no need for REX, but if I had to choose now, I'd go for REX, because it's still allive and in development and has a future. FEX is dead and the missing option will not be added, I am afraid. I hear more often though that FEX gives more realistic results than REX (meaning REX is often a bit over the top).

I hear more often though that FEX gives more realistic results than REX (meaning REX is often a bit over the top).
Exactly. Which is why I bought FEX - extant or extinct... I'm not bothered about future development. I went for the more realistic option, as it now stands. Besides, I doubt if REX will be toned down as part of any future development. Ian

Exactly. Which is why I bought FEX - extant or extinct... I'm not bothered about future development. I went for the more realistic option, as it now stands. Besides, I doubt if REX will be toned down as part of any future development. Ian
According to Steve at Flight 1 FEX may still have some future development. The code has been aquired by Flight 1 software and Steve Halpern states that they may be looking at expanding the product which could include a weather plugin. See this link: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=31680 . I have had FEX since it first came out. I use it in conjunction with ASA to load my favourite texture sets according the the expected weather and it works great. REX looks great in many screenshots, however I think FEX does look more natural in some cases. I wish there was an option just to purchase the airport environment textures for REX as they do look very good.Regards Martin

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

I don't. We listen to what people are saying.
Sorry - that did sound presumptious..I just meant that the maxim 'why change a good thing' might apply! Most people seem to like how you have it.Ian