Sign in to follow this  
G-SWSM

FS9.1 General Question regarding Graphics and CPU.

Hi Gang.I have a somewhat Older system now, and I fully realise this, but with this in mind I was hoping to get some suggestions regarding my GPU and CPU.I have an ABIT Max3 Motherboard and a Intel P4 3.0 GHz HT Processor and a Gainward Geforce 7800 GS graphics card that has 512 on board RAM.My system is Win XP Pro with 2 Gigs of RAM and a Hercules Digifire sound card. My PSU is a 1100 Watt Supply.I pretty much just use this as a gaming rig for FS and Joint ops etc, but, I was wondering if you had any suggestions about "beefing up" the Graphics Card.I was looking for something that would run FS with a little more horse power, maybe a 1BG on-board card of some type. I am used to ATI, but it makes No difference to me to use another make.I know that some reading this might think to themselves, why doesn't he just get a new system. The answer to this is as most are having to deal with right now, and thats the credit crunch, so If I can make this system last a little longer than I would like to do just that, and then up-grade the whole lot in one foul swoop.Just a quick re-cap for you.Gainward Geforce 7800 GS graphics card that has 512 on board RAM < I could move up to a ?Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome and appreciated indeed.Many thanks.

Hi.I have just looked at a thread in aother forum that mentions a PALIT GTX 260 Sonic 216SPI know nothing about these cards, and haven't heard of them before, are they any good ?They seem to have a few good reviews, and at nearly a Gig of on board memory for around

I don't think a 3 GHz Pentium IV is going to drive a new videocard any faster than the 7800. I'd say save your money and use it for your next system.RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I'll second Bob's thoughts. A new video card won't help your FS9 experience. MSFS is largely CPU-limited, and your CPU is severely under-powered compared to modern CPUs.

Your system isn't that bad! Consider that I'm running triple monitors with a 6 year old AMD 1.8 GHz CPU and 2 GeForce FX5200 vid cards. Not the latest by any means, but runs FS9 nicely with sliders set medium to full right. So smooth that I have no plans to upgrade! As my grandmother always said-"Use it up and wear it out, Then when it's done, throw it out."And yes- it's the CPU more than the GPU that makes FS fly!Alex Reid

I would guess anyone that is unsatisfied with their current performance and looking to upgrade would not be happy staying where they're at, in spite of what joy others may derive from comparable hardware. It's great that you can be satisfied by such an old system though.

I would guess anyone that is unsatisfied with their current performance and looking to upgrade would not be happy staying where they're at, in spite of what joy others may derive from comparable hardware. It's great that you can be satisfied by such an old system though.
MaxC- it's all about making one's computer live up to its full potential instead of just loafing its way through life! The same as with our children. :)Cheers Alex Reid

I agree. I'm just saying that most people desire to run the sim at the highest possible settings, and not to be held back by their hardware.

I agree. I'm just saying that most people desire to run the sim at the highest possible settings, and not to be held back by their hardware.
I don't feel that 3072 x 768 resolution & a FS 146